What's new

Ahhh! The blood! The blood!

Hey guys.

I've been wetshaving for about 6 months now and am still getting an average of 7-10 weepers on my neck every time I shave. No razor burn, just weepers. I have had a handful of very good shaves, and I am pretty consistent with blade angle, pressure, etc., but more often than not, I end up bloody. Even on my best days, I still had 1 or 2 small ones. I am starting to think that maybe my skin just can't handle shaving of any kind. I use the same products and techniques as when I get great shaves, but for whatever reason, I can't seem to stop getting nicked. Is there maybe anything I haven't tried? Does anyone else have this problem?

P.S. I use Kyle's prep every time, so I don't thing preparation is an issue, either.

Help!

-Bronson

Technique.
Pressure, angle, grain direction, prep, speed, proper lather, etc.
I go up and down with my technique. It is important to relearn and relearn because it is really easy to forget things.
Best of luck.

A few questions: (1) What razor are you using? (2) What blades are you using?
(3) how many passes are you making and in what direction?

If your angle is right and your pressure does not exist, the problem could be the razor and/ or blades. Have your tried other blades as per a sampler pack? Also, with respect to the third question, when do the weepers appear (is it ATG).

I have to agree with the above post about technique. I've been where are before. The issue you are having is technique. It could be your lather, which I believe was my problem. Or it could be pressure, blade angle, grain direction, and a host of others. Type of product and prep treatment I don't believe is your problem. You could always try a different blade though. Watch some videos and read up on lathering and technique. Without knowing more it's tough to narrow it down. Try just WTG passes for a while and see how that goes.

If you are sure about your technique then I would think it could be the blade, I know there are some blades that no matter what i do I will get a weeper or two.

Are you sure of the direction your beard growth on the neck?

I was going to say this. Do you find the cuts are all in the same places? if so it could be something to do with blade angle or hair growth direction.

I probably nick myself every time I shave and it's always in the same one of two spots every time.

1) Consistent blade pressure is no good if it's the wrong pressure. Lighten up.

2) You pretty much have to consider your "great shaves" as the outliers, that is to say, your 7-10 weepers are the norm and you pretty much "got lucky" with the great shaves.

Reconsider everything you are doing and start at square one. You didn't detail any of the equipment you are using so we don't know if you tried a blade sampler, what your razor is, what your beard growth/thickness/coarseness is so we're all just pretty much throwing darts trying to help.

More details leads to better help.

-Greg

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Bronson:
It sounds like you're off to a great start but may need to practice more on technique, but anyway...Welcome to the B & B :shaving:
And yes...this Forum has the knowledge, ideas, and alround 'know-how' to assist in your Wet-Shaving experience. In a nut-shell...your 'gonna' love it here :w00t:

Also, once you get time....please tell all of us a little about yourself in the Hall of Fame sub-forum :biggrin1:

Christopher :badger:

How bad are these weepers? On the rare occasion that I nick myself the bleeding stops on its own before I start the next pass or clean up. If that's all you're getting don't worry about it. A few self-healing nicks are better than razor burn in my book.

Also try not using Kyle's prep. It may be stripping too many oils from your skin. It would be a shame if that's the problem, but experiment and take it from there.

Maybe take several steps back and re-work it from the ground up? Every big building needs a firm foundation right?

You could start by really dialing in your lather and posting pictures here for more experienced folks to critique.

I would also really really recommend mapping your face. Let your beard grow in over the weekend and really closely observe and record the direction of the hair growth over your entire face and neck region.

Then, maybe go to a cartridge for a week or so just to focus on shaving with the grain and being aware of how much pressure you're using. You want to barely hold the razor so that you cannot apply pressure. Imagine as if it were a feather and you just want it to caress your face. Pressure shouldn't be what cuts the hair, let the blade do the work.

After you get that down, then try your DE again. Find a blade that works well for you and really focus on your pressure, blade angle, etc. Make a sticky note and put it on your mirror next to your face mapping results so you don't forget.

It takes time to get it down, but well worth it in the end. Take your time and enjoy it, don't get frustrated.

Welcome to B&B. Brace yourself for a great learning experience from a well-versed, experienced group of others. Enjoy the journey and may you enjoy a lifetime of happy shaves !

If you cannot get a perfectly alighned blade you will get cut, some vintage razors have been knocked out of alighnment, some current manufactures have quality control problems.

or

you might try a less agressive razor until you get technique down, you should not being getting that many cuts, we will get an ocassional knick. I don't think I have ever cut myself with a Krona or tech

good luck,
ken

Couple things that helped me:
- yup, face mapping, I found that the lower half of my neck has hairs growing such that I always was hitting it ATG right off (top half goes the other way). switching the direction on the first pass by 180 degrees did wonders.

- been wetshaving for 8 months, started with a sample pack, found the feathers to be weeper-heaven, so set them to the side. Derby's and Crystals were way better. This past week I broke out the Feathers again in case my technique had improved...no dice...sho-nuff, the weepers erupted again, so away go the Feathers in hibernation for another few months. BTW, the Merkurs did similar things, but they will never be coming back.

So net: for me, direction and right blade for my face and razor combo helped a ton.

Thanks for the input. My razor is a Merkur 38C and I've tried almost every blade, but the ones that seem to work best for me are Iridiums, Astras, and Gillette yellows. I have a Vulfix pure badger brush (I forget the model number) and use D.R. Harris soap and TOBS avocado cream. Also, the hair on my neck grows in all different directions and I thought I had it mapped out pretty good. How long does it take to get a good technique down? I'm sure it's different for everyone, but shouldn't I be getting better shaves after 6 months?

Top Bottom