What's new

My Shavemac knot arrived yesterday !

and I am getting ready to fit it into the handle, as soon as I calm my nerves, wipe my sweaty palms, and gird up my loins.

It's a 21mm, D01 Silvertip, extra stuffed, and the softest brush I have ever rubbed on my face, or anywhere else for that matter.

Wish me luck.

So, Shavemac does sell knots.

If you do not mind me asking, why did you not send the handle to Bernd and let him set it? Just curious.

So, Shavemac does sell knots.

If you do not mind me asking, why did you not send the handle to Bernd and let him set it? Just curious.

I don't mind at all.
I really wanted to fool around with the loft and see at which height I wanted to set it. I originally suggested to Bernd that I was going to set it at 47mm since I am a recent convert to face lathering.
So, the plan is to set the knot in at approx 47mm and see what it feels like.

I can then adjust it appropriately.

Unglued, the knot is still in there pretty firm but I am wondering if there would be any unwanted consequences if I go ahead and lather with it without gluing it in.

Any thoughts ?

Unglued, the knot is still in there pretty firm but I am wondering if there would be any unwanted consequences if I go ahead and lather with it without gluing it in.

Any thoughts ?

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. The handle isnt just for ergonomics, it helps support the knot. It would be a shame to damage such a beautiful bundle of hair.

Ok, it's in.

I originally had planned to drill it out until I got the loft to 47mm, but I chickened out. I got down to about 49mm and saw what I thought to be darker spots becoming visible at the bottom of the hole. Not wanting to risk drilling more out and finding a big hole, I set it where it was.

My idea of trying it out, etc., etc., must have come to me when I was smoking my socks.

Anyway, here he is in all his glory.

Very nice knot. If you haven't epoxied the knot in yet, you can drill all the way through and set your knot depth to 47 w/ a wine cork. Nice restore regardless!

Ok, it's in.

I originally had planned to drill it out until I got the loft to 47mm, but I chickened out. I got down to about 49mm and saw what I thought to be darker spots becoming visible at the bottom of the hole. Not wanting to risk drilling more out and finding a big hole, I set it where it was.

My idea of trying it out, etc., etc., must have come to me when I was smoking my socks.

Anyway, here he is in all his glory.

Nice! Let it sit over night and then it should be ready to go.

Really nice work! you seem to have found the exact type of handle and knot I've been searching for.

I don't mind at all.
I really wanted to fool around with the loft and see at which height I wanted to set it. I originally suggested to Bernd that I was going to set it at 47mm since I am a recent convert to face lathering.
So, the plan is to set the knot in at approx 47mm and see what it feels like.

I can then adjust it appropriately.

Any thoughts ?

George, I put a new knot in an old Rooney I wore out and like you was apprehensive. So I wrapped the base of the knot with teflon tape and kinda twisted into the handle ....it's been like that for a few months ! I don't know if I'm ruining the knot , but so far so good . It was an inexpensive knot from TGN so I'm not to concerned !! We'll see !!

Hex:

That's an absolutely beautiful brush and handle. Please show us photos after you use it and it blooms. As the earlier poster said, I'll also bet that becomes your favorite brush. Great work. Thanks for sharing.

Don

Nice work. I would have used it unglued to see about loft but it should be fine at 49. (I would have set it lower likely though)

That catalin handle looks completely solid to me..I found black bits in one I restored....I just kept drilling.

Where did you order your Shavemac knot from? My novice eye tells me that looks like a good soap brush, and that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks. Just sent an email to them. Are you talking a response time of weeks? days? hours?

I'd give him a week. With the holidays and all, they are probably either short staffed or closed. Your patience will be rewarded though. His knots are great! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom