What's new

Pinning solution

As I've now got the capacity to be able clean up blades on the buffer with greaseless compounds, I'm finding that I'm also having to repin the blades back in the scales. Up until now, I've pretty much used microfasteners and I like these because they are well priced and quick and easy to use.
I have however been looking at another option. I picked up some TI replacement pins not long ago that require peening. These work well and look good but are quite expensive. I like the idea of one side having a fixed flat top so you only peen one side. Looking at the TI kit, it's really just a flat nail, with 2 brass thrust washers and a captive washer.
So, I've now made up my own. I bought some galvanised small nails yesterday with a shaft diameter of 1.5mm which is the same as the TI ones. I've got plenty of the brass washers from old straights I've used as parts. The only thing missing was the captive washer. Thinking outside the box, I spent some time on ebay yesterday looking at a number of options and came up with these.

proxy.php

They are actually bead spacers for making jewellery. The hole has a diameter of 1.7mm which should be fine (hopefully) when it has the pin (nail) peened. They were cheap (300 for $6) and they will add a little decoration, to one side anyway. If I can find some rod the right size, I can then actually put these on both sides on some straights. Just a little bit of imaginative thinking.

I'll post up some pics when they arrive and see how they do.

So these would be the washer underneath the head of the pin?

That should look very elegant, really... looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I've played around with those...
proxy.php

I did find one problem however, I tried two different kinds & they were both to soft & fragile to take the strain of peening.
That wedge is glued & the pins are only for "decoration"

I've seen some other kinds that are a bit more robust, might work better.
Also, when working with exotic woods, I don't want to take away to much from the wood itself.
But on regular acrylic a fancy washer will look swell!

There is a lot to choose from if you search the DIY jewel/scrapbooking kind of stores.
Be aware that it will be you & a bunch of teenage girl sifting thru the stock...

I imagine you're going to have a hell of a time peening those galvanized nails. You really want brass nails, not galvanized steel nails. They exist. (I just checked mcmaster.com and found a few.)

Legion

Staff member
I imagine you're going to have a hell of a time peening those galvanized nails. You really want brass nails, not galvanized steel nails. They exist. (I just checked mcmaster.com and found a few.)

Why would you buy nails and nor just get brass rod? It's as cheap as chips. If you have to peen one side you might as well do both and have them look exactly the same.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
I don't want it, he does. See the OP.

Yes, my question was more directed to John.

John, I can keep my eyes open for brass rod when I'm next shopping down your way, if you like. You can get it in a number of thicknesses. I'm sure it would be available in 1.5mm

Top Bottom