What's new

So about these Fountain Pens...

I've seen all this talk on fountain pens and you guys have me interested. I'm looking at a Lamy Safari (something cheap and easy to start with, unless you have any better suggestions).

Now for the nib - which size do you recommend? I prefer Fine ballpoints, but for fountains it seems like maybe the Medium results in a smoother line. The downside to the Medium is a possible loss of detail. I am planning on using this as a daily pen, so it has to keep a good level of detail and ability to write fairly small (labeling things in math and physics).

As for Ink, I'm split between Noodler's Eternal Black or Shivago. The Shivago looks much more interesting with the very subtle dark green details, but since I'll be using this for everyday writing, maybe it would be better to stick to a straight black.

Anybody have suggestions?

[EDIT]
Also, what would you suggest for paper to replace standard notebook paper? Preferably something cheap and in quantity to use daily and expendable-y, maybe already 3-hole punched.

The Safari is a great pen. I use a fine nib daily. Most of my other pens are medium nibs, and they can get a bit broad. Starting out with fine is what I would suggest. If you enjoy writing with it, you can always move to a medium nib.

Randy

I agree with Randy on all points! The Safari is a nice pen for the money and for nibs, I also prefer a fine. Although I have several mediums, I reach for the fines most of the time.

Noodler's produce very rich, vibrant colors but tend to be a little more problematic sometimes than a thinner ink like Waterman. I had one pen that just refused to write consistently with Noodlers (although I don't remember which one it was.....DOH!)

Lamy Safari is a great pen, well made, inexpensive, and fun to write with. My preference is for an extra fine point because I find that the ink feathers less that way, andI can write intermarginal notes, etc. When I use a broader point, I feel as if I'm writing with a paintbrush. In particular, for narrow lined paper, the finer point leads to a neater looking script. YMMV

Ok, so consensus on the fine (maybe even extra fine) nib.

Any recommendations on ink, preferably near-black but maybe just a bit of color (like the Shivago)? Also, recommendations on paper to use with it? I'm assuming standard notebook paper will probably lead to it bleeding through.

This may not be what you're looking for, but I have a Pelikan 200 from www.richardspens.com. It has an extra fine nib, Richard Binder custom grinds his extra fine nibs so they are in great writing condition when you get one. I really like it. I have it loaded with Noodler's black. The noodler's is great ink as well.

Brett,

I agree on the fine nibs. That's what I have on all my pens. You can even turn the nib upside and you have a temporary extra fine tip.

As for paper, I prefer Clairefontaine Triomphe white pads (www.pendemonium.com), laid line Original Crown Mill sheets and pads (http://italianartstore.bizland.com/store/Original_Crown_Mill.html) and for everyday folio use, Ampad Gold Fiber 20 lb in white (or legal yellow) pads, available at your local OfficeMax.

The Crown Mill (Belgium) stationery paper and envelopes are a tad expensive, but come in a multitude of colors. The Clairefontaine (France) is bit less expensive and very smooth. Ampad Gold Fiber is very inexpensive and very FP friendly. Texture somewhere between the other two. All three brands come in A4 and A5 sizes.

I second the recommendation from a member on the Pelikan 200M. Great writer and inexpensive. One of my favorites.

As for inks, I really like Waterman. Try the blue-black for a slightly different black. I also like Visconti inks. Inks and paper are personal preference items. And pens will write differently with different nibs, on different paper with different inks. Almost like the variety we have in wetshaving with brushes, razors and creams!

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Richard in Texas

A good starter pen might be the Waterman Phileas. Reasonable price and performance (for a steel nib) and not at all unattractive. If you like a thicker barrel it's an especially good choice.

hack

If you want to go vintage, it's hard to beat an Esterbrook. They're not expensive, easy to resac if you need to (and you probably will, if it's not already been done), and the points are designed to be swapped out (there's an extensive range of them), so you can change the whole character of the pen quite easily.

Be aware, though, that acquisition disorders apply to fountain pens and inks just as they do to shaving supplies. A couple of months ago I had one or two pens. I now have, umm, a lot more than that. :smile:

Someday I will break the bank and get a better fountain pen, but I have been using a Parker, with the washable blue ink cartridges, works good and so easy on the hand, and I'm a LEFTY...:cool:

I've been happy with all three of my new fountain pens. A Lamy Safari, Waterman Phileas, and a Pilot Vanishing Point, all with fine nibs. A Pelikan roller is reserved for use on multi-part forms. I'm currently using Noodler's Legal Lapis in them, due to a tendency to get water on my work notes (I work on municipal water plants).

Wayne

This may not be what you're looking for, but I have a Pelikan 200 from www.richardspens.com. It has an extra fine nib, Richard Binder custom grinds his extra fine nibs so they are in great writing condition when you get one. I really like it.

I agree an m200 or an m215 (I wanted something heavier than the m200) is a great choice for well under $100. You can change nibs on them too. Richard would be a great source for one or Pam Braun(. If you want to spend just over $100, an m605 is a great choice (check out Pam's website).

Top Bottom