What's new

First shave with a NEW...the good and the bad...

I bought a nice, cased gold-plated NEW this past summer from an antique store, and it has been sitting around ever since, while I shaved with a Slim.

Well, last night I took it out of its case and stuck a blade in it, and I shaved with this morning. This was my first time ever shaving with an open-comb razor.

First, a question: How do you make sure the blade is straight when you put it into the razor?

Now, the good: Wow. This thing just glides over the face. No tugging at all. It's kind of the anti-Fusion. Felt really smooth and gentle.

The bad: It didn't cut off anywhere near as much stubble as my Slim. After 2 passes I still had quite a bit of stubble left. Ultimately I had to finish the rough spots on the neck/chin with my Atra, because I feel like I could've done 4-5 passes and still had some left. Is this an angle issue, or is the razor really that mild?

Anyway, thanks for reading. Any help/thoughts are appreciated.

I have a long comb NEW that I got from Cooncatbob and if anything I find it a little too aggressive. I've only used it a handful of times and maybe I just haven't found the right angle yet. Maybe use it a few more times and see how that works out. :001_smile

Just a few thoughts:

1) What blade did you use? This can have a great effect on the final result. I have razors (my 1940's Superspeed comes to mind as a perfect example) that can give shaves ranging from post shave "sand paper" on the chin to smooth as a baby's bottom depending on the blade I load. I have other razors that give great shaves with a Red IP, but will redefine "exfoliation" when loaded with a Feather or similar blade.

2) Did you notice the razor's teeth leaving tracks through the lather? The open comb razors are easy to find the proper angle. Simply adjust the angle until there are NO tracks left by the teeth. If your face is being wiped clean by the razor, you have the proper angle.

Hope this helps. Keep at it and you might find a new favorite razor. Of my meager collection of 12 razors, 7 of them are open comb. The open combs are also my most used razors.

I bought a nice, cased gold-plated NEW this past summer from an antique store, and it has been sitting around ever since, while I shaved with a Slim.

Well, last night I took it out of its case and stuck a blade in it, and I shaved with this morning. This was my first time ever shaving with an open-comb razor.

First, a question: How do you make sure the blade is straight when you put it into the razor?

Now, the good: Wow. This thing just glides over the face. No tugging at all. It's kind of the anti-Fusion. Felt really smooth and gentle.

The bad: It didn't cut off anywhere near as much stubble as my Slim. After 2 passes I still had quite a bit of stubble left. Ultimately I had to finish the rough spots on the neck/chin with my Atra, because I feel like I could've done 4-5 passes and still had some left. Is this an angle issue, or is the razor really that mild?

Anyway, thanks for reading. Any help/thoughts are appreciated.

I would say a NEW is mild and smooth shaver, but it does cut the whiskers (at least mine). I always do just 2 passes and that's enough, tho I have quite a coarse beard. Never had to bother about angle, if I do not see the teeth in my lather I am ok. Most blades will do for me, sharper blades are a bit more smooth. Tried a near mint 7'o Clock this morning (present from my daughter for Santa Claus, december 6th) and it was even better than my short comb US NEW. Did use a very good blade, a nos Rotbart Platin: the German version of the Swede. But still I would say one of the best shaves I had so far... And yes, it was close, about as close as my Fatip.

Just a few thoughts:

1) What blade did you use? This can have a great effect on the final result. I have razors (my 1940's Superspeed comes to mind as a perfect example) that can give shaves ranging from post shave "sand paper" on the chin to smooth as a baby's bottom depending on the blade I load. I have other razors that give great shaves with a Red IP, but will redefine "exfoliation" when loaded with a Feather or similar blade.

2) Did you notice the razor's teeth leaving tracks through the lather? The open comb razors are easy to find the proper angle. Simply adjust the angle until there are NO tracks left by the teeth. If your face is being wiped clean by the razor, you have the proper angle.

Hope this helps. Keep at it and you might find a new favorite razor. Of my meager collection of 12 razors, 7 of them are open comb. The open combs are also my most used razors.
I used a Feather blade, on its third shave.
Only once I saw some tracks, and I adjusted the angle accordingly.

I'm wondering if my angle wasn't off the OPPOSITE way; maybe I had it angled TOO far away from the "lather tracks" angle, so the blade was cutting the hairs but not at the base. Do you think this is possible?

Also, I still need help with blade loading. It makes me nervous.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
If you load your blade by hand this seems to work. Lay the head on your vanity top with the slot facing up. Carefully grab the blade on the sides.(Not the sharp part.) Lay the blade in the groove on the head. Place the comb over the blade. Grip the ends very gently while screwing on the handle. It sounds scary but as long as you keep your fingers away from the edges, it is very simple and painless.

If you load your blade by hand this seems to work. Lay the head on your vanity top with the slot facing up. Carefully grab the blade on the sides.(Not the sharp part.) Lay the blade in the groove on the head. Place the comb over the blade. Grip the ends very gently while screwing on the handle. It sounds scary but as long as you keep your fingers away from the edges, it is very simple and painless.

Thank you.

Top Bottom