What's new

British DE/SE Razors And Italian Creams and Soaps

Not talking about blades, for that is an entirely YMMV subject.

However; doesn't it seem like the best DE/SE razors are British, in comparison with American versions? I want to make myself clear that I am not making a comparison at all with German razors, just the differences between British and U.S. versions of the same brand of razor; i.e., British Gillettes vs. U.S. Gillettes. British Ever-Ready vs. U.S. GEM/STAR.

For me, I tend to lean toward British razors and Italian soaps and creams. Yes, I know, those British shave soaps and creams are fantastic! They probably offer the greatest variety among those in current production ranging from rose, almond, lavender to avocado.

I suppose if you want to keep it simple, then go all British. You really can't go wrong with that risk free combination.

Perhaps it is simply because I really like menthol and almond shaving soaps and creams. I really don't know what it is, but I find that my favorite DE combination so far is a British long-comb NEW razor and an Italian soap or cream such as P.160 Tipo Morbido or Cella.

There is just something so very special about a British razor/Italian soap combo! Could this appear on the surface to be an example of an extreme juxtaposition/diametric opposition between Germanic/Anglo-Saxon and Romance cultures?

So opposite that it just "clicked" so perfectly?

I really don't know how to really explain it. This, to me, is a match made in Heaven.

Warmest Regards,

David

Last edited:
I whole heartedly agree with what you say. I love my EJ89L razor and combine this predominantly with Cella, P160 Morbido soaps, and Acca Kappa cream. We do have some great soaps from this country and I won't knock them, but for pure performance, I don't believe the Italian soaps can be beaten. And the price makes for even better.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

David

While I'm not sure any particular country has a monopoly on quality, I do enjoy mentally equating my shaving gear with the countries of manufacture circa WWII. Currently my German razor and Russian blades are getting along well, but I don't know if that will last the winter.

Whaa?!?

USA! USA! USA! oh, errr, what's that you say? My #15 I'm using now is made in England?

USA! USA! USA! oh, errr, what's that you say? Godrej shaving cream is made in India??

USA USA USA oh, errr, what's that you say? My aftershave splash Duru Limon is made in Turkey?!?

:huh:

NEW WORLD ORDER! NEW WORLD ORDER! NEW WORLD ORDER!

Can't fight 'em, join 'em.

Just kidding!!! But show me the English Schick Injector that is better then the American made one and I'm with you.

-jim

From my experience I have noticed British Gillettes seem to shave smoother than their U.S. counterparts.
IMHO the only U.S. Gillette that is as smooth to a Brit Gillette is the Red Tip Super-Speed.

As for Italian creams, just tried Omega hard cream in the tub this morning.
Me likey!:001_smile

Last edited:
Quality wise US and GB Gillettes seem comparable but I do find that the British equivalents e.g. Rocket vs Superspeed tend to be a little more aggressive.

While I'm not sure any particular country has a monopoly on quality, I do enjoy mentally equating my shaving gear with the countries of manufacture circa WWII. Currently my German razor and Russian blades are getting along well, but I don't know if that will last the winter.

Hehehehehehe!:biggrin1:

Funny, but my German and Italian shave hardware and software (and I can't forget the Japanese Feathers) have been slowly but surely increasing its presence in my shave den. One might say an annexation is occurring in my bathroom.

My French soaps put up a valiant resistance but were overpowered and now reside in the bottom cupboard; my tube of La Toja has been unused for months and my tub of TOBS Avocado is just hanging in there by a thread.

Interesting allegory or just damn fine shave products? I guess I'll just have to play this one out...:tongue_sm

There are two or three NEW designs that are unique to England that never let me down. They are among the smoothest and closest shaving razors that I have. Otherwise, the quality of the Old Type, NEW and New Improved razors I have that are common to the U.S. and England is exactly the same.

Top Bottom