Thread: November new watches for me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default November new watches for me

For the past couple months since both my watches died I've been looking at several watches and since I live in a fairly remote part of Northern Canada there is no mall to go and see them in person and watches look totally different in real life compared to in photos. Since I couldn't make up my mind I bought several to try and will keep the ones I like and return/resell or give as Xmas presents the ones that don't fit me well or that I don't really like.

Today I received the Orient ''Blue mako"' I had ordered it because I read many glowing reviews on the watch forums and I liked the look of it. Well, when I opened the box it was a nice surprise to see it was WAYYY BETTER than I had even imagined. The blue dial looks awesome and the overall fit and finish is amazing for a $100 watch.

My previous watch for work was a Kenneth Cole quartz movement chronograph with stainless steel bracelet. That watch only lasted 3 years before it just stopped working and when I took it to get repaired they said it would cost more to fix than the watch is worth (~$100). But compared to the KC the Mako is leaps and bounds ahead in terms of quality, fit and finish. I'm not a watch expert but that is just my impression.

I also bought a Jorg Gray 6500 - the Barack Obama watch but sent it back immediately. I didn't like the convex crystal and it has a blue tint as well, So unless you are looking directly at the watch face it looks like a blue bubble. I have thin wrists so it looks like I'm wearing a magnifying glass or something on my wrist and it just looks really bad.

At the same time as I received the Jorg Gray I got a really good deal on a Citizen Eco Drive AT0550-11X because it was a store return. I paid $112 for it and $250 for the Jorg Gray but the Citizen is a much much nicer watch overall.

Anyway, I expect more watches to arrive this week so will update this thread on my latest acquisitions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oops I meant to say AT0550-03E the other Citizen model is the one with brown dial and brown strap. I have the one with a black leather strap and black dial and yellow seconds hand.
    Its much nicer than the JG 6500.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yep, nice watch and great for the price!
    "Winning is like shaving - do it every day or you look like a bum" ~ Jack Kemp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

The Blue Mako looks great. Who did you order the Mako from? Last time I checked, Orient USA didn't ship to Canada.
    I don't feel middle aged...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lavaine View Post
    The Blue Mako looks great. Who did you order the Mako from? Last time I checked, Orient USA didn't ship to Canada.
    I was in email contact with joey at orient about this, and they has a system worked out to ship them to canada using a third party shipping company.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I ordered it from discountwatchstore
    Shipping was only $12 to Canada and only took just over a week to get here. Usually it takes 2 to 3 weeks to get things from USA.
    I was a bit surprised because I ordered several watches before this one and they still haven't arrived yet.

Currently working in Suzhou, China. Born in Glasgow, Scotland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you're looking for an automatic, there's really no need to look anywhere other than the Orient catalogue. They're just bloody good watches

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Citizen Eco Drive

A Couple of Citizen eco-drives.

The Military Chrono is going to get a new maratac zulu strap. I don't like the stock strap on this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Marina Militare

Marina Militare 40mm GMT on my 6.5" wrist.
    Close to being too big.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Another 2 watches

Not November anymore but they just arrived...
    Invicta 9937C on Bond Nato strap.

Robert Poseidon GMT.