What's new

Respirator - horn

I see recommendations for respirators when working with horn and some other scale materials... is it because of the smell? I understand some of the synthetics could produce some noxious/dangerous fumes, but what about bone/horn type materials?

I wear a 3m respirator when im working with g10, micarta, and also with horn. I know that g10 and micarta is very bad for you, im not sure how bad horn is for youi, but it cant be good. Also I wear it with horn for the smell. Its a bad smell. I even wear a smaller 3m respirator when sanding by hand. lol.

lately I have been thinking about getting one of these. I know the initial cost is a little more, but the replacement filters and cartridges are $3-4. As where I spent $30 for my 3m respirator, and its $18 for replacement cartridges.

I wear a 3m respirator when im working with g10, micarta, and also with horn. I know that g10 and micarta is very bad for you, im not sure how bad horn is for youi, but it cant be good. Also I wear it with horn for the smell. Its a bad smell. I even wear a smaller 3m respirator when sanding by hand. lol.

lately I have been thinking about getting one of these. I know the initial cost is a little more, but the replacement filters and cartridges are $3-4. As where I spent $30 for my 3m respirator, and its $18 for replacement cartridges.
+1 for the respirator.
G10 is some nasty stuff. I hate working a lot of it at once. I only worked steel or handle material (knifemaker) once or twice without a respirator. I blew my nose after grinding a blank for an hour or so and it was straight up black. So, imagine all that steel dust in your lungs, cause you know the lining of your nose does not get everything.

Legion

Staff member
It's for the smell but also some exotic woods and bone, antler, etc, go into your lungs and stay there, causing repertory problems, a bit like asbestos. No fun.

I don't know of other toxic aspects in bone,antler & horn but they would contain amounts of silica. Definitely no fun to inhale.

Sounds good. Just wanted to check. So at the very least get a mask to filter the dust, and if I wind up doing a fair bit of this stuff regularly upgrade.
Thanks all! :D

Legion

Staff member
I just "borrowed" one of the Norton half face respirators I wear at work. Then I just swapped out the gas filter for one that filters particulates. They are not expensive.

proxy.php

Top Bottom