What's new

Further adventures with shaving cream

Hi,

as my first venture into using cream rather than soap was, um, crap, I ordered and just took delivery of a tube of Irish Moos. Let's see if this is any better than the Fauldings :lol:

First reactions: nice packaging, looks expensive, metal tube is a surprise. Smells a bit medicinal in the tube - like Savlon or Bepanthen. Rub a little on the back of my hand and it smells good - spicey, herbal with a little floral.

Tomorrow morning we'll see how it shaves

Mate, pretty much everything is going to be better than Fauldings - that stuff is useless. Shave sticks are good, just lather right on your face and you'll be right.

Well I just shaved with the Irish Moos tonight. I didn't have time to shave this morning and 36 hours gives me decent bristle. Not that a straight really cares about growth.

Lathered up in my palm as usual. Instead of loading a wet brush and splashing some water into my cupped palm, I wet the brush and squeezed a thumbnail sized slug of cream into my palm and whipped away. Boom! A handful of lather and the bathroom filled with a wonderful rich spicy herbal scent. A very good shave, very smooth as the razor scrapes the skin. More work required for a smooth shave than my soaps but still very easy to use.

Blue, are you normally a soap user and if so, did that not go well?

It went so badly I posted here to find out if I'd done something critically wrong! General consensus is that the cream I was using is just crap :lol:

Mate, pretty much everything is going to be better than Fauldings - that stuff is useless. Shave sticks are good, just lather right on your face and you'll be right.

Haven't used the Faulding's shave stick. I've used a Mennen stick, are they at all similar?

Boom! A handful of lather and the bathroom filled with a wonderful rich spicy herbal scent. A very good shave, very smooth as the razor scrapes the skin. More work required for a smooth shave than my soaps but still very easy to use.

If you like IM, you might try Tabac cream. I haven't (yet) but knowing IM and Tabac are made by the same company, it likely performs the same. While you're at it, try Tabac soap: one of the easiest soaps to lather and very cushioning. Just don't let the split camp opinions about its scent scare you away!! :001_rolle I love it!

If you like IM, you might try Tabac cream. I haven't (yet) but knowing IM and Tabac are made by the same company, it likely performs the same. While you're at it, try Tabac soap: one of the easiest soaps to lather and very cushioning. Just don't let the split camp opinions about its scent scare you away!! :001_rolle I love it!

The Tabac is on my must-try list. That meant the soap, but I've found a local source of the cream at a reasonable price. That's actually why I got the Irisch Moos - an Aus seller imported some to test the local market and I figured if I wait he'll probably never repeat the exercise :biggrin1:

IMO look no further than TOBS creams and/or Godrej (for a little less coin). TOBS cream is as good and slick as any soap I've used (including Tabac, MWF, Trumpers. Cade. Cella, Valobra, etc).

IMO look no further than TOBS creams and/or Godrej (for a little less coin). TOBS cream is as good and slick as any soap I've used (including Tabac, MWF, Trumpers. Cade. Cella, Valobra, etc).

TOBS cream is also pricey :biggrin1:

Not that I paid that much less for the Irisch Moos, but the likes of Tabac are half the price. I should add that I'm used to soap so I can't really complain when I'm using something that costs less than $10 for a years worth of shaves. I think I can justify spending the saving on something more interesting like TOBS or Irisch Moos cream :biggrin1:

What about Speick then? It's about $7 and is miles better performing than Irisch Moos.

It maybe $7 where you are mate, but out here it's $11 plus $6 postage. I've found Tabac at $12 shipped. I've read that all three perform very similarly.

S

Sydney Guy

Re Fauldings shave stick - there isn't one, only the cream. The only locally-made shave stick easily available is the Mennen/Palmolive one, which is quite good really. I superlather mine with the Palmolive cream.

Where are your sources for the IM and Tabac creams, BB?

Re Fauldings shave stick - there isn't one, only the cream. The only locally-made shave stick easily available is the Mennen/Palmolive one, which is quite good really. I superlather mine with the Palmolive cream.

Explains why I've never seen it the :lol:

I see the Palmolive sticks everywhere - even my local service station carries them along with that godawful Faulding Cream! - but I can't find cream anywhere. Must not be distributed here.

Still, I have my cheap Proraso, my Irisch Moos and now Figaro Crema da Barba to keep me going so I'm not complaining.

Where are your sources for the IM and Tabac creams, BB?

The Irsch Moos cream I got from Himage.

Tabac cream along with most of the range is available from Mensbiz.

S

Sydney Guy

I see the Palmolive sticks everywhere - even my local service station carries them along with that godawful Faulding Cream! - but I can't find cream anywhere. Must not be distributed here.

Odd, it's in all the Woolies supermarkets and every pharmacy here. (For some reason the Coles stores seem to have stopped carrying it in the last year.) Since Colgate-Palmolive is a major supplier of laundry detergents, soaps and personal care items they will certainly have their own distribution setup in every capital city, shipping directly into the store distribution centres. I presume that you can get the Palmolive aerosol shaving foams, so why not the tube cream?

The Irsch Moos cream I got from Himage.

Tabac cream along with most of the range is available from Mensbiz.

Ouch! $22 for IM and $19 for Tabac, with shipping on top. As usual it's double here in Aus over what they pay overseas. Didn't you say you were getting Tabac for $12 shipped?

Odd, it's in all the Woolies supermarkets and every pharmacy here. (For some reason the Coles stores seem to have stopped carrying it in the last year.) Since Colgate-Palmolive is a major supplier of laundry detergents, soaps and personal care items they will certainly have their own distribution setup in every capital city, shipping directly into the store distribution centres. I presume that you can get the Palmolive aerosol shaving foams, so why not the tube cream?

Supermarket distribution is weird in Adelaide. It dates back to the mid-80s and Coles threatening to ship from interstate if the local distributors kept supplying the independent supermarkets (and a telephone / fax order mob who operated out of suburban store fronts). The shake up from all that left us only one major distributor through whom I understand all the big brands come. Ironically, they are owned by Independent Grocers...

So a rough guide is if one supermarket doens't have it, none do :mad3:

I've not seen the foam for a while either. My search has been ended by the purchase of the IM and finding Figaro Crema da Barba. If have enough to be going on with.

Of course I still keep an eye out for anything interesting or unusual :lol:

Ouch! $22 for IM and $19 for Tabac, with shipping on top. As usual it's double here in Aus over what they pay overseas. Didn't you say you were getting Tabac for $12 shipped?

I looked at the price ex-europe for IM and figured that with postage it's about the same. Himage didn't charge any postage, so I can kid myself it was only $16 :lol:

I know I found it for $12 somewhere - Mensbiz was just the first that came to mind I knew would have it. Maybe it was one of the discount one chemists?

EDIT: Isn't it always the way? Two minutes after I his submit I remember. I saw it for $12 on CDWow of all the stupid places.

Last edited:
Top Bottom