What's new

Casual hat?

I would like to get a foot into the world of hats.

But here is my thing, I don't have or typically have reason to wear a suit, and "business casual" is about as dressed up as I usually get.

Is there any type of hat that would go well with dress slacks and a button up shirt(no tie), or even khakis and a polo? I really want and like the looks of fedoras but they seem to be worn mainly with suits.

I would mainly be wanting to wear it out on dates with SWMBO, weddings, things of that nature.

Little newsboys and Ivy Leagues are just the ticket, particularly for the winter. A smaller fedora-like hat, made of a different material (or at least texture) than felt, can look fine as well, so long as you're wearing a sport coat or blazer. I feel it looks odd otherwise.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I wear business casual to work every day, and one of my Fedoras that coordinate with the color scheme.
(Black, Dark Grey, Medium Grey, Light Grey, Dark Blue, Dark Brown, Dark Green)
A decent hat doesn't have to be worn with a suit alone, and looks quite good with business casual.

+1 on that!

I have a silverbelly Open Road Stetson in a diamond bash that is my "go to" hat. I wear it with everything from jeans and field clothes to slacks and sport jacket. It color coordinates with eveything.

Flat cap. Available in variety of fabrics and colors.

I'm not really into flat caps. I've only ever known one guy that wore one, and well let's just say he ruined that experience for me.

I just picked up a hat called the Aspen from Worth & Worth.

Has been a great winter casual hat so far. I wear it to and from work everyday now that it has gotten cold.

Goes with Jeans, goes with khakis, goes with slacks and a shirt.

http://www.hatshop.com/site/showItem.php?Inv_ID=21

For the summer there is nothing better than a nice panama.

I do like that hat, but it looks closer to a cowboy hat than a fedora type hat to me, and SWMBO has been very clear on her opinion of cowboy hats... :lol:

That could be a bit uncomfortable!:lol:

:lol::lol:

Something like this perhaps?

http://www.menshats.com/product/154/fedoras?productid=S2210&channelid=FROOG

Understand that the "cowboy hat" SWMBO probably is thinking of is more a "bash" than a hat (ie. the cattleman's bash) or crease as some say. My Open Road has a diamond bash and in no way looks like this:

http://www.millerhats.com/openroad_index/stetsonc.htm

May I recommend that you visit:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/

Determine the brim width you prefer and the "bash" or crease you prefer first, then go shopping. Understand that the bash can be changed and brim widths reduced by any reputable hatter. The folks at the fedora lounge can help you and there is a classified section in which you may find what you are looking for. Often times, the vintage hats (especially Borsolinos and Stetsons) are far better quality than the newer hats.

Good hunting!

Last edited:
Something like this perhaps?

http://www.menshats.com/product/154/fedoras?productid=S2210&channelid=FROOG

Understand that the "cowboy hat" SWMBO probably is thinking of is more a "bash" than a hat (ie. the cattleman's bash) or crease as some say. My Open Road has a diamond bash and in no way looks like this:

http://www.millerhats.com/openroad_index/stetsonc.htm

May I recommend that you visit:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/

Determine the brim width you prefer and the "bash" or crease you prefer first, then go shopping. Understand that the bash can be changed and brim widths reduced by any reputable hatter. The folks at the fedora lounge can help you and there is a classified section in which you may find what you are looking for. Often times, the vintage hats (especially Borsolinos and Stetsons) are far better quality than the newer hats.

Good hunting!

I love that hat in the first link you posted. That is the type of hat that I like, but the intent of my original post was to see if something like that would be appropriate with the clothes I wear.

I live in a very rural area, and me walking around in a suit just to be able to wear a fedora isn't going to happen. A pair of slacks and a button up shirt is about as dressed up as I ever need to be. My wife bought me one of the cheap cotton fedoras from the mall, but it is way too big and I don't like the tiny brim, even though that is all the hat place at the mall has.

For my running around outdoors by myself time, I think I'm going to get a "tarp hat" which is ugly as crap but I like them for some reason, and it will be used for hiking and backpacking, which the wife doesn't do, so it doesn't matter what she thinks about it.

proxy.php

Certainly you can wear a fedora like that casual. I do, as do many others. Heck I wear my Open Road with jeans and boots! Perfectly acceptable.

You need to find out what size you wear and go shopping. Also, don't discount the "cowboy" hat. I know many who purchased an old Resistol or similar hat on ebay, had the brim trimmed to 2 3/4" and rebashed the crown to a diamond, c-crown, or center dent and made them very serviceable fedoras for little money. These become very robust hats and are often used in the casual environment. I would venture to say that 90% of the vintage Stetson Open Road hats that are worn today are NOT bashed with a "catleman's" crease, but are bashed with a diamond or center dent!

You certainly don't need to wear a suit to wear a fedora. Take a look at pictures of working men from the 20s through the 60s. They all were wearing fedoras in blue collar, "working man" attire. Not ties there!

I do like that hat, but it looks closer to a cowboy hat than a fedora type hat to me

The pic might look that way, but trust me it isn't a close cowboy hat.

A) my SWMBO wouldn't go for it either and
B) I wouldn't be wearing a cowboy hat around Manhattan every day.

Good luck on your search. A nice hat is a great thing and i hope you find what you are looking for.

Mike, if you want to wear a fedora, just wear one. They're way more versatile the you think. Honestly, I think the biggest factor in wearing a hat, any hat, is wearing it confidently rather wearing with a particular look.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Mike, if you want to wear a fedora, just wear one. They're way more versatile the you think. Honestly, I think the biggest factor in wearing a hat, any hat, is wearing it confidently rather wearing with a particular look.

+1
I'd listen to him, he's been known to be right more than 97.36 percent of the time.

+1
I'd listen to him, he's been known to be right more than 97.36 percent of the time.

I am? :blink:

I mean of course I am. :shifty:

No seriously, Mike. Just find something you like, looks good on you and wear it with confidence. If you like the hat and you look great in it, that's really all you need. And if some random nobody on the street gives you a funny look, just know they're just jealous.

He is 100% right on this one, you have to own the hat and the look. Confidence and attitude is the name of the game on this one my friend. I wear hats all the time as do several of my friends and we all agree that you have to have the right attitude to pull it off. Buy a hat that looks good on you and enjoy it.

Top Bottom