What's new

GEM 1912 blade slip problem

Hello everyone. I've been on a very long vacation from wet-shaving... I went home for Thanksgiving and found my Shavemac black teardrop and lathered up with some MWF for old times sake. That was a bad idea since the brush, my 1912, Pen's Castile cream, MWF, and Harris Almond found its way into my bag to bring back to school.

I had a go at the MWF and 1912 this morning however found a problem. Whenever I went for a stroke I would hear a little click. Looking at the blade, it appears the left side of the blade (looking at the cutting edge) is not held tightly enough in place so it slips and slides backwards, making the razor pretty much useless.

For the 1912 pro's out there: what holds the blade in place, the spring-loaded lid or the little clips it slides into? I tried bending the clips to possibly make it tighter but that didn't help (although they did bend). Oh well, looks like I'll be looking for a new 1912 head. On a positive note, I whipped up a mean lather.. <3 MWF.

The little tab at the back of the head, just under the thumb tab to open the head, that pushes the spine of the blade into the front clips. The head holds the razor down to the bed. I'll try to get some pics up in the morning if you need. I found a pretty junked up 1912 a while ago that didn't hold the blade secure. I was able to get it back into shape by very carefully popping the top off it's hinges and bending the tab forward. Never was 100&#37;, but usable.

Last edited:
k1ng,

Cut a small wedge from an eraser, and push this (from the back side of the head) under the Tab, and along the spring clip itself. This will force the clip onto the blade holding it tightly. Trim the excess from the front of the head side and you are good to go. The enclosed picture is not a good illustration, but shows what I mean :001_smile

I have used an Ever-Ready 1912 like this for the last nine (9) months.
Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments guys.

I tried the eraser trick and it makes it a little tighter, however the blade still moves.

I took the head off and was going to attempt to bend the spring tab but I realized that wouldn't really help in this situation. The real problem is that the spring tab somehow moved out of position so it never really makes contact with the spine. The spring tab doesn't even close on its own. I have to do it manually - it should snap itself down when the head is closed, correct?

1912 hunting I shall be...

Thanks for the comments guys.

I tried the eraser trick and it makes it a little tighter, however the blade still moves.

I took the head off and was going to attempt to bend the spring tab but I realized that wouldn't really help in this situation. The real problem is that the spring tab somehow moved out of position so it never really makes contact with the spine. The spring tab doesn't even close on its own. I have to do it manually - it should snap itself down when the head is closed, correct?

1912 hunting I shall be...

Yep, it should take care of things all on it's own. Good thing 1912's are still plentiful and cheap:thumbup1:

k1ng,

Many thanks for trying the eraser trick :001_smile

Good luck with your 1912; as Mr Guy says, you should be able to find a replacement head.

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Top Bottom