What's new

Where to buy a used pistol?

Hey guys,
I live in Atlanta, GA and I'm looking to purchase a pistol. From what I've read, used pistols are usually a good deal because they are quality items made to last generations.

I have never owned a gun before but am looking to purchase something so I can take it to the range and begin to practice. Do you guys know of a reputable place to purchase a gun or are places like gun shows good places to purchase used guns(there is one here this weekend)?

Any ideas on a good handgun to start off with?

Thanks for any info and/or recommendations you can provide!

These are the kinds of questions you need to take to a reputable gun shop. Look a couple up in the phone book and take a ride out and look until you find one you are comfortable with. Most shops that sell handguns also sell used handguns. Handguns are a very personal thing that must fit your hand perfectly so it is hard to give recommendations. That said, I love Sigs. :biggrin:

Dennis

The previous post said it best. Handguns are an item of personal preference.

Your best bet would be to go to a gun range and invest the time and $ to try out a few models. With good used and new guns not being cheap, trying before you buy is really invaluable here.

For semiautomatics, I'm a fan of Glocks. For revolvers, I like Rugers and Smiths.

PM me if you'd like a longer list of suggestions regarding calibers, training, etc. Always happy to help...

Also wanted to say, I'm not planning on carrying the pistol around on me(don't have a CCW permit yet either) if that helps with recommendations(don't need something tiny). Something around $200-300 is my budget as well...

I would more than likely use it at the range a few times a month and then keep it somewhere in my bedroom...

Also, if anyone on here has something they are looking to sell just PM me, I have heard buying online is risky, but I trust the people on this forum to steer me right!

While State Laws differ, here are some things that you should know prior to considering purchasing a handgun.:

An individual must apply to their local police or sheriff's department for a License to Purchase a Pistol prior to obtaining a pistol. A license to purchase is not needed for an individual with a CCW license. However, a NICS check must be completed by the FFL (Federal Fireams Licensee) prior to the transfer of the firearm.

The police authority will check for any criminal record at both the state and national level.

The applicant must answer gun related questions on a Basic Pistol Safety Questionnaire, with at least 70% correct, and swear before a notary that they meet the statutory requirements to own a pistol.

The License to Purchase a Pistol form must be completed even though the applicant may already have possession of a pistol, such as through an inheritance. Federal firearms licensed dealers are not exempt from this section of the law and must also get a license any time they purchase/acquire a pistol from an individual or another gun dealer. There is an exemption only for dealers purchasing pistols directly from the manufacturer or wholesaler.

A License to Purchase a Pistol is valid for 10 days to purchase a pistol. The seller must sign the license and keep one copy for his/her records. An individual must return to the local police department within 10 days of purchasing the pistol, return the two remaining copies of the license, and present the pistol for a Safety Inspection Certificate. Dealers are exempt from the safety inspection requirements on pistols kept solely for the purpose of resale.

Some agencies require all unused license to purchase forms be returned to them for record keeping purposes.

These forms are licenses to purchase a pistol and the purpose is not to circumvent the required NICS (National Instant Check System) check when buying a shotgun or rifle from an FFL dealer.

More info:

The law quite blatantly states otherwise; see 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3):

(a) It shall be unlawful—

(3) for any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer,
licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business
entity, the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State, except that this paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State, (B) shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a firearm obtained in conformity with subsection (b)(3) of this section, and (C) shall not apply to the transportation of any firearm acquired in any State prior to the effective date of this chapter;

and:

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—

(3) any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable
cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the licensee's place of business is located, except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee's
place of business is located if the transferee meets in person with the
transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States (and any licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published
ordinances of both States), and (B) shall not apply to the loan or rental
of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;

Tchau,
chop-chop

Also wanted to say, I'm not planning on carrying the pistol around on me(don't have a CCW permit yet either) if that helps with recommendations(don't need something tiny). Something around $200-300 is my budget as well...

I would more than likely use it at the range a few times a month and then keep it somewhere in my bedroom...

Also, if anyone on here has something they are looking to sell just PM me, I have heard buying online is risky, but I trust the people on this forum to steer me right!

Again, you need to go to a local, reputable gun shop. State laws vary widely. I, for instance, cannot purchase a handgun out of state. My brother-in-law is in federal law enforcement and can get me a great deal, but I cannot legally obtain a gun from him. Your local gunshop will know all the ins and outs about permits, classes, registrations (yes, you will need to register your handgun and get fingerprinted), etc... If you have not taken a handgun safety class, you local gunshop can help you out there as well. I learned a lot in my CCW class and highly recommend outside training to new gun owners.

Dennis

Again, you need to go to a local, reputable gun shop. State laws vary widely. I, for instance, cannot purchase a handgun out of state. My brother-in-law is in federal law enforcement and can get me a great deal, but I cannot legally obtain a gun from him. Your local gunshop will know all the ins and outs about permits, classes, registrations (yes, you will need to register your handgun and get fingerprinted), etc... If you have not taken a handgun safety class, you local gunshop can help you out there as well. I learned a lot in my CCW class and highly recommend outside training to new gun owners.

Dennis
Laws vary wildly by state. There is no federal requirement for registration. Are you sure he has to register it?

At any rate, if you're buying used, make sure you go to a reputable dealer. Do you have any friends that are gun enthusiasts that you could ask for a recommendation? Also if you're going to buy used, it would be helpful to know enough about the gun to be able to field strip it and check for signs of wear and rust.

I second going to a range where you can rent various models. I also second going to a basic NRA Handgun Safety course. What I recommend to anyone that can take a weekend off just for the helluvit is to take a course at an actual school like Frontsight or Thunder Ranch or Gunsite, what you would learn from two to four days at one of those schools would be more than what at least 60 to 70% of gun owners know (with regards to technique, self defense, civil and criminal consequences, etc).

-Nick

Laws vary wildly by state. There is no federal requirement for registration. Are you sure he has to register it?

That is true - I meant to imply in my state. Actually, it is not called a registration but instead one needs to take any new handgun to the local police chief to be "inspected." Registered, inspected - whatever, it is the same thing.

Dennis

I always have, and always will be a T/C Contender fan. Single-shot, but spot-on reliability, and you can change calibers on it very easily....ever fired a .308 pistol? ;)

As for comfort, most revolvers and Contenders have a massive ariety of grips availible. Your best bet though is to feel each pistol you are interested in your hand first. A gun that's too big will be dangerous to use, while a pistol that's too small can really dig into your hand.

Hey guys,
I live in Atlanta, GA and I'm looking to purchase a pistol. From what I've read, used pistols are usually a good deal because they are quality items made to last generations.

I have never owned a gun before but am looking to purchase something so I can take it to the range and begin to practice. Do you guys know of a reputable place to purchase a gun or are places like gun shows good places to purchase used guns(there is one here this weekend)?

Any ideas on a good handgun to start off with?

Thanks for any info and/or recommendations you can provide!

Eastman's Gun Show is at the State Farmer's Market this weekend in Forest Park. You could go there and find almost anything. In my experience, more dealers set up at the show when it's at the North Atlanta Trade Center in Norcross, probably because it's a bigger facility. The show's there the first weekend in May.
http://www.eastmangunshows.com/

For starter's in your price range and experience level, I would try a basic .38 special revolver by Smith & Wesson, Taurus, Ruger, etc. The learning curve for a revolver is easier.

Georgia Range & Guns has an excellent reputation. They are a one-stop for retail, lessons, and practice, and they are also in Forest Park. I think they will also let you try out various models before purchase. They have the reputation of being very friendly & helpful to the prospective new gun owner.
http://www.georgiarangeandguns.com/

As far as getting a permit, that's handled through the Probate Court of whatever county you live in. In Georgia, you need a permit if you plan on carrying anywhere outside your home, place of business, or your car.

I might actually recommned against buying a pistol... just yet.

Find a gun range in the area. We have an indoor range locally that also sells firearms. Call them and find out if they have a gun safety course and if they have firearms for use at their range. It should just cost a few dollars to use a firearm to try it out. Also, if the range has safety classes, you will get a qualified instructor who will teach you the right way to hold, load, fire, and safe the weapon.

I don't own a firearm, but I occasionally accompany a relative to an outdoor range, where I have had the privilege of shooting a nice array of their guns. That same relative is a retired military safety officer who has taught me everything about safe firearms handling. (You'll never read about me shooting myself in the foot while cleaning a weapon. The first thing you do when someone hands you a gun is drop the magazine out and clear the chamber, unless you are actively firing on a hot range) These lessons will be the most valuable you'll learn.

Ok, back off my safety soapbox now, let me point out that by borrowing a gun at the range, you will get the change to see if you enjoy the peaceful "plink-plink" of poking holes dead center on the target with a .22, or if firing a .44 magnum revolver gives you the workout you need. You can also decide how much home defense is part of the equation. (e.g. If you live in an apartment, your neighbors would appreciate you using something other than a large caliber handgun for home defense. "Stopping power" is not a characteristic of drywall.)

Throw a couple of hundred rounds of lead downrange, decide what you like, buy something you'll enjoy caring for and using for many years to come. Much better than spending money on something only to find out later you wish you bought something else.

Beware though, I hear GAD is as bad as RAD and SCAD. Quoteth my relative, "If you know how many guns you have, you don't have enough."

Happy, but safe, shooting!

:a41: (AR-15 w/ holo scope- my personal favorite. No one sits next to you once they learn about your muzzle brake. :ihih:)

David

All good suggestions. This is what I tell people interested in getting a firearm.

1) Take a safety course and learn the laws and how to handle, care for, store and transport a firearm properly.
2) Go to your local target range and try out as many types as you like. It's a personal preference thing.
3) Determine exactly what you intend to do with your firearm. Target versus field firearms can be two different animals. Home defense is another but I'm not a big fan of pistols as the firearm of choice for home defense.
4) Go to gun shows and local shops and talk to people. Like DE shaving, everyone has their preferences.
5) Take a deep breath and rethink if this is something you really, really want to do. Nine times out of ten people think about doing this as a reaction to an event or a personal experience.

1) Take a safety course and learn the laws and how to handle, care for, store and transport a firearm properly.
2) Go to your local target range and try out as many types as you like. It's a personal preference thing.
3) Determine exactly what you intend to do with your firearm. Target versus field firearms can be two different animals. Home defense is another but I'm not a big fan of pistols as the firearm of choice for home defense.
4) Go to gun shows and local shops and talk to people. Like DE shaving, everyone has their preferences.
5) Take a deep breath and rethink if this is something you really, really want to do. Nine times out of ten people think about doing this as a reaction to an event or a personal experience.

Quoted for truth, especially the first bullet (har har). Getting trained in how to properly use and care for a gun will make it much more enjoyable and safe. That will also let you learn the gun laws of your state, many of which are absolutely ridiculously complex (CA state law on curios over .50 caliber has been confusing the heck out of me), and will let you get to know some people who can guide you to your first purchase.

For your first gun I'd say buy from a reputable and licensed dealer, new or used. I bolded that first bit because just recently here we had a licensed and well known gun dealer (course, the guy was a psycho, but thats another story) get his store shut down and his *** thrown in the gulag for "loosing" over 800 guns, including 50 NFA restricted guns.

I would say gun shows are a perfectly good place to buy a gun IF you know exactly what you want, know how much it should cost, and know enough about them to be able to tell what kind of condition a gun is in when you're examining it. If you aren't confident in all of that, go to a reputable dealer.

My dad used to have a firearms dealer's license. He has a ton of guns, so when he wants a new one (he recently got into competitive handgun shooting - previously he was mostly just into skeet/trap) he goes to a gun show with a specific gun and price range in mind and pays cash IF he sees one in good condition at a reasonable price.

Thanks for all the useful insight guys!!

Does anyone know what the rules are on getting a gun in GA?

For example, do I need a permit of some kind if I just want to take the gun to the range once in a while and it will be sitting in my house the rest of the time?

Thanks for all the useful insight guys!!

Does anyone know what the rules are on getting a gun in GA?

For example, do I need a permit of some kind if I just want to take the gun to the range once in a while and it will be sitting in my house the rest of the time?

No permit is needed for what you describe. Georgia law requires a pistol permit to carry in public away from your home, car or business. The carry permit is issued through the Probate Court of the county you live in, and requires a background check from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

You can research the code section here through Lexis Nexis.
http://w3.lexis-nexis.com/hottopics/gacode/Default.asp?loggedIn=done
Just search for "pistol permit."

The permits are limited to where you can legally carry. For example, you cannot carry a pistol in any publicly owned or operated building, schools, establishments serving alcohol, political rallies or functions, and pretty much any "public gathering."

As far as purchasing the pistol, you have to be 21 and fill out the yellow Federal form (4473 I believe) where you swear you are not a convicted felon, a mental patient, or an illegal alien. Then there is a waiting period depending on where you live in the state, usually 3 days. The waiting period is waived if you have a permit at the time of purchase.

As a former firearms instructor, I have delt with hundreds of new shooters. While there are always the typical "exception to every rule", I think the following advice is good for 99% of people in you situation. First off training. Vastly more important than hardware. At a minimum a beginners saftey course is manditory. Safe and confident firearm handling is important, it's not the sort of thing you try and figure out through trial and error. Mistakes can be deadly, and bad habits easly engrained. A reputable local dealer should have information on NRA classes or other local firearm instruction. As for hardware, I strongly suggest a good quality revolver, 6 shot, .38 special or .357 Magnum in a 4 inch barrel. These are often available on the used market as police department or security firm tradeins. What you get is simplicity, durability, ability to shoot everything from light, cheap ammo, to firebreathing cannon fodder :) Grips are changable so you can get one that fits your hands perfectaly. A well fitting firearm with a minimum of switches and levers and such is the perfect tool to learn on. If you enjoy the experience and want to get further into firearms, great, you got a great start. If its not your cup of tea, you an probaly sell that revolver for what you paid of it. Good luck and be safe.

As a former firearms instructor, I have delt with hundreds of new shooters. While there are always the typical "exception to every rule", I think the following advice is good for 99% of people in you situation. First off training. Vastly more important than hardware. At a minimum a beginners saftey course is manditory. Safe and confident firearm handling is important, it's not the sort of thing you try and figure out through trial and error. Mistakes can be deadly, and bad habits easly engrained. A reputable local dealer should have information on NRA classes or other local firearm instruction. As for hardware, I strongly suggest a good quality revolver, 6 shot, .38 special or .357 Magnum in a 4 inch barrel. These are often available on the used market as police department or security firm tradeins. What you get is simplicity, durability, ability to shoot everything from light, cheap ammo, to firebreathing cannon fodder :) Grips are changable so you can get one that fits your hands perfectaly. A well fitting firearm with a minimum of switches and levers and such is the perfect tool to learn on. If you enjoy the experience and want to get further into firearms, great, you got a great start. If its not your cup of tea, you an probaly sell that revolver for what you paid of it. Good luck and be safe.

Thanks for the advice. I am definitely going to look into getting some safety classes under my belt soon. I think I've been convinced to go with a revolver from what I've read and what people have told me, it seems like its reliable and low maintainence, which is perfect for me, since I'll take it to the range once a month and it'll sit in my house the rest of the time.
Any ideas of where to purchase one of the used pistols you are referring to? Would a pawn shop be a good place or are there places that specifically sell those types of police and security firm guns?

Also, any reason not to get a 2" barrel gun vs the 4" and is there a particular brand I should be looking for when picking one of these up?
Thanks for all the advice!

Stay away from the short barrels. They are much harder to shoot, the muzzle flip and percieved recoil much greater as well as muzzle flash in the typical dimly lit indoor ranges. Site radius is shorter which makes it more difficult to shoot accuratly. Basicaly, there is nothing good about them other than conceilability. 4" is pretty much the standard and easy to find. 6" will suite your needs excelently as well as long as the additional weight is not detrimental. As for brands, you cant go wrong with S&W or Colt or Ruger. Many of the imports like Rossi, Taurus and the like also make fine firearms. Its hard to go wrong with a modern revolver that hasent been abused. Simple things to look for are the sloppyness of the action and cylinder...compare it to a new one and there should not be much difference.

I agree with pretty much everything above, with reference to safety training as well as practice, and legal means to buy your pistol. I also agree with checking into laws about how you can carry keep and transport your pistol safely.
Just curious, what is the pistol going to be for? I think that has a lot to do with which one would be the best match for you. There's been a lot of good advice above, which I agree with. You will find a lot of what you were looking for after your first visits to a range. Most will have rental weapons you can try at their range, which will let you get a feel for the general operation and "feel" of certain pistols.
If you are looking for a "plinker" suitable for a weekend's fun at the range with friends/family, it's hard to beat a quality (non-saturday night special-those are notoriously inaccurate, and will leave you less than satisfied) .22 rimfire. Ammunition is dirt cheap, and you can take a lot with you. It's amazing how fast 500 or 1,000 rounds goes by when you are having fun.
Home defense? Something bigger is probably in order, I agree with the revolver suggestion, if someone's bursting in to do harm to you or your loved ones, you don't have time always to tap, rack, ****(some models) safety off, identify target(a MUST) front sight post, squeeze and fire, reallign front sight post if necessary and the threat still exists...and repeat.
With a revolver it is MUCH simpler. It is reliable as all get out, fires if you need it to but if the hammer is over an empty chamber, and safety on, is just about as safe as you can get in a firearm.
That said, if you really want good home defense, I'd recommend a 12 GA. pump shotgun. The psychological advantage both for you and against the assailant is TREMENDOUS. While not guaranteed, there is a high chance you will never even have to fire it, most people tend to freeze upon hearing the slide action close by. Hit probability in the dark is also much better, and overpenetration is minimized to a degree. It is also possible to load rounds that have various rates of lethality, as opposed to a sidearm which almost always fires a slug of some sort, and requires you to be dead on in your aim. I've heard of folks loading a round of bird shot (Oww oww owww...but not necessarily lethal) followed by 00 buck or a slug (much more lethal) in case the first shot didn't stop the guy. Not that if you fear for your life you will be worried about the assailant's life, but after the fact it will be easier on you, I would think.
Pricy to plink with, however. Something to think about.
Hope this helps.
John P.

Top Bottom