What's new

Cutting your own hair

Does any one in here cut their own hair? With today's times and people trying to save money I would not be surprised if there was quite a few. The last time I tried to cut my own hair, besides just using the buzzers and cutting it all off which I usually do once a year, The last time I tried to actually shape it was probably when I was 12 and failed miserably. Now when I was in school, Merchant Marine Academy, I cut alot of my friends hair but a high and tight isnt that hard to do. But now for me at least times are rough and I cannot afford a hair cut and its starting to get a bit long, maybe 3-4 inches and the sides and back are the same so I was thinking about triming it up with a pair of scissors, from my clipper kit, and was looking for any tips that you gentlemen and ladies out there may have.

Thank you,
Nick

Sorta.

I bought a Wahl clipper set and tried it for a bit.

SWMBO took an interest in it and after butchering my hair twice, has figured out how to do it. Luckily I am retired so have no need to be presentable.
She got it right the third time.

I've been giving myself buzz cuts at home for thirty years. It may not be the best looking cut possible, but at the prices barbers get I think it looks great!
Yours in frugality, Ken

I think the best advice anyone can give you is DON'T.

Administering a haircut to yourself using clippers is one thing, trying to do so using scissors is surely impossible. I think you'll end up looking like a scarecrow if you try!

I think the best advice anyone can give you is DON'T.

Administering a haircut to yourself using clippers is one thing, trying to do so using scissors is surely impossible. I think you'll end up looking like a scarecrow if you try!

pretty much already do. expecially on a day like today where I've been wearing a hat since I got out of bed. If I do it tonight I'll be sure to take pictures.

I bought an Andis home haircut kit about 2 years ago ... I gave myself 2 haircuts over a 2 month period and gave up, because the results were pretty laughable.

While cutting someone else's hair is pretty easy, cutting your own is not.

If you can get SWMBO to do it for you, you're probably OK after the first couple of tries. But don't expect passable results if you live alone and work it yourself.

For the last 2 years, I went back to using pro barbers, spending anywhere from $15 to get it lopped off at Hair Cuttery, up to $45 to get it styled at my preferred shop, which included a hot-towel facial, relaxing hand massage, and other niceties. I generally do this two or three times a year, and go for the $15 haircut in between to maintain it.

For now, I've decided to let it grow longer for the winter, and instead of a $40 haircut, I'm investing in a $15 can of American Crew Fiber pomade.

I used to cut my own hair using scissors. I had some training by a very good pro. It helps to have a really good haircut first. You have to know how a good haircut feels before you can duplicate it. I would not advise very many to do this, because it takes lots of practice and patience.

I do not cut my own hair now. I prefer a taper cut at the neck, and want it shaved clean as well. That is why I go to a barber shop. It is just too much hassle to do it myself. The barber does a better job in way less time than I would take to do the same job.

i tried it once when i was bored and ended up going to the shop to get it cut anyway. the person there told me they didn't think i did that bad but were probably just being nice.

i'm sure it can be done but definitely have to do it several times (i'm guessing dozen or so - YMMV) before you get truly comfortable and i doubt most people have the patience for it. it feels very awkward trying to hold and cut the scissors at certain angles. just not a natural motion for me anyway.

considering i found a good place that only charges $8 for the cut (+ tip) and they do a great job no matter who the stylist is i have no reason to invest in myself for this matter. not worth the trouble.

I don't have a lot of hair anymore but my wife cuts it all one length using a Wahl clipper. I also shave the back of my neck with a straight. I don't clean up to badly!:thumbup1:

Take Care,
Richard

Go to the local beautician school and let the students cut your hair. Many towns have these schools. An experienced supervisor monitors the students and does any final sprucing up trimming before you leave the chair. The price is about five dollars and the cut will look good.

Cut it 3 or 2 all over and then use a trimmer then a shavette to shape the front and back. This will give you a modern 'urban' cut. I do it all the time and it looks good on me. Try growing a goatee with it, it compliments it well.

My SWMBO cuts my hair and has done so since we have been together. She volunteered to do this after I spend a lot of $ at a hair salon and got scalped. She said that with the amount of hair I have on my head she would be happy to style it. She was a beautician at one time so she is experienced.

Well, she gives me the best hair cuts I have ever had - and all it costs me is a dinner at a nice restaurant. Well, my hair has gotten thinner - if that is possible - the past two years. Now she says she will shave my head when I am ready. :w00t:

Yep----self-administered #2 buzz cut! I'll shorten/taper up the sides and back with a #1 usually. Love it! I may try sides and back with #1 sometime (maybe when the first heat wave hits us this summer!)

Top Bottom