What's new

Free honing for life

Just as a heads up, the guys over at Straight Razor Designs are offering a holiday sale. If you purchase any straight razor, Lynn and Don will hone and touch it up for life.

If you have been wanting to try a straight, this seems like a good deal to me :thumbup1:

My brother ordered one and I'm seriously considering it. On top of the free honing for life, lots of stuff is on sale if I understand correctly. And....i live 20 minutes from there and i work 15 minutes from there.

That's one great deal!

Next month, if the Prima Klang razor becomes the "Straight of the Month," I'll have no choice but to buy it!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I think it's a great "offer" from them, and a very supportive and encouraging gesture for the newbie, but I don't know if it's a great "deal". It's nice to know that they'll touch it up for you (I have no idea what their policy is regarding shipping charges), but if you're interested in using a straight you should get used to the notion of having to hone it yourself immediately.

Whenever you have someone else in charge of your honing, you'll need to factor in the need for a second razor to use while your razor is on the road, or live without one during that period. The free honing sounds like a good crutch, but it's no substitute for learning how to do it yourself.

I think it's a great "offer" from them, and a very supportive and encouraging gesture for the newbie, but I don't know if it's a great "deal". It's nice to know that they'll touch it up for you (I have no idea what their policy is regarding shipping charges), but if you're interested in using a straight you should get used to the notion of having to hone it yourself immediately.

Whenever you have someone else in charge of your honing, you'll need to factor in the need for a second razor to use while your razor is on the road, or live without one during that period. The free honing sounds like a good crutch, but it's no substitute for learning how to do it yourself.

Agree on all this. I had my first 4-5 straights honed, but eventually felt like I needed to learn how to do it myself.

Furthermore, you can learn what kind of edge you like most. Most of my professionally honed razors were super sharp, but not exactly smooth.

Since learning on my own I've managed to get edges more comfortable for my face - maybe not as sharp, but certainly more smooth and still capable of giving me an irritation free BBS shave.

It is a very nice thing to have while learning to hone though. The goal is to have everyone honing.

Being able to send the razor back in if you decide to have a go with it on your hones while learning and having a benchmark to shoot for until you figure out what combination of stones/pastes/etc.. you prefer is a big help too.

If you only plan on having one razor your entire life, you would probably be better off doing something like this, getting a barber hone, and using the free honing on the rare occasion it is needed.

Top Bottom