What's new

General info wanted

First of all, thanks for all the information. My dad never used a straight razor and claims to have never used a DE safety razor, so I would not have had any real place to turn without you guys.

Second, do you notice that your stubble is much sharper than when you used cartridge razors? I'm guessing it's related to the type of cut afforded by a sharp straight razor.

Third, what soap would you recommend that has a nice, manly scent? I have the scent in my head, but I'm not sure how to describe it. One of my uncles used to smell like this, and I've always called it the banker's scent since he was a VP at a bank. He has long since passed, so I can't ask him what he used to wear, unfortunately.

Forth, I'm using a Parker straight razor that accepts half of a DE blade. How would you compare that to a fixed-blade straight razor? I think I'm happy with it, but not knowing about alternatives....

welcome aboard, mate!

yah, sharper feel as its cut right through, not kinda mangled at each end.

scent is really personal, but Tabac, L'occiatane cade, or GFT limes are all awesome soaps with many scents

shavette style razors kinda compare, but not really. the feel, weight, angles etc are all different. plus there more agressive than real straights.

Welcome to B&B! It's possible that the scent you smelled on your uncle came from an aftershave (or perhaps a cologne) and not the soap.

If you hang around here and read the reviews on soaps and aftershaves, it would not surprise me if you discovered what your uncle used (or something very close to it).

welcome aboard, mate!

yah, sharper feel as its cut right through, not kinda mangled at each end.

scent is really personal, but Tabac, L'occiatane cade, or GFT limes are all awesome soaps with many scents

shavette style razors kinda compare, but not really. the feel, weight, angles etc are all different. plus there more agressive than real straights.

+1

Welcome to Badger & Blade! Tabac may be the best place to start because the scent is manly and the soap very easy to lather. Plus, it is cheap!

Oscarthepig:

Welcome to Badger and Blade. You are going to love this place. Lots of folks more than willing to give you a hand and answer any questions you may have. Enjoy the ride!

Don

Thanks for all the input, guys. Between the wealth of information here and the videos on YouTube, I've managed a week's worth of superior shaves with only one minor nick. I'd still prefer to not have to shave, but it's certainly less of a chore now.

Second, do you notice that your stubble is much sharper than when you used cartridge razors? I'm guessing it's related to the type of cut afforded by a sharp straight razor.

Third, what soap would you recommend that has a nice, manly scent? I have the scent in my head, but I'm not sure how to describe it. One of my uncles used to smell like this, and I've always called it the banker's scent since he was a VP at a bank. He has long since passed, so I can't ask him what he used to wear, unfortunately.

Forth, I'm using a Parker straight razor that accepts half of a DE blade. How would you compare that to a fixed-blade straight razor? I think I'm happy with it, but not knowing about alternatives....

In order!

Second - yes, absolutely. DE/Straights cut the hair ends square, while cartridges taper the ends. A DE shaved hair will feel sharper and scratchier at first.

Third - That smell was probably his cologne or a very strongly scented aftershave splash, not his shaving soap. Soap smell fades pretty quickly.

Fourth - never tried it myself, but other people report that a 'real' straight is a lot more forgiving than a shavette, less likely to end up with cuts and weepers. The trade-off is that a straight requires a lot of finicky maintenance, and can be screwed up pretty easily by a wrong move.

I'd still prefer to not have to shave, but it's certainly less of a chore now.

Give it a little more time and you will LOVE shaving. Welcome to B&B. I would try to smell Tabac before you buy it if I were you. It is not very agreeable to me, but others love it.

In order!

Second - yes, absolutely. DE/Straights cut the hair ends square, while cartridges taper the ends. A DE shaved hair will feel sharper and scratchier at first.

Third - That smell was probably his cologne or a very strongly scented aftershave splash, not his shaving soap. Soap smell fades pretty quickly.

Fourth - never tried it myself, but other people report that a 'real' straight is a lot more forgiving than a shavette, less likely to end up with cuts and weepers. The trade-off is that a straight requires a lot of finicky maintenance, and can be screwed up pretty easily by a wrong move.
Yeah, it was definately his cologne; he used an electric razor. lol It's just a scent I'd like to find in a soap. Actually, I wound't mind finding the cologne, but no one remembers what it was that he wore.

Top Bottom