What's new

Fountain Pen Question

Got the Pelkin and Noodlers ink and I love it(Thanks to all that gave me advice), I have a question when the pen is lying done for a Little and I pick it up it takes a little for the ink to start flowing smoothly, Is this cause the pen is new should it do this and if so what would be the proper way to get the ink flowing before you begin writing. Once it starts writing it does a awesome job a just fells super to write with.

I'm going to assume the obvious--that you replace the cap when you're done writing. That being said, you shouldn't have any difficulty whether you store it with the nib pointing downward or upward, or lying on its side. Assuming the pen is filled with ink, and not too long a period of time has elapsed since the last time you wrote with it, (for example, I keep mine in my pocket, using the clip, my wife keeps hers in her purse, presumably horizontal, ) it should write fine. It may also need a bit of breaking in, there may be air bubbles in the reservoir that are working their way into the feed, etc.

Noodlers ink seems to work better in my med nibs vs my fine nibs for some reason. Not sure if it's thicker or some other reason. Great ink and I have several different colors that I rotate through. Love the Red Black.

I only have a Lamy Safari and use Noodler's Permanent Luxury Blue. I've never had a problem with flow and like others, I use the clip with my pen so it is stored tip up. As ravkesef said, it may take some time for air bubbles etc. to work their way out.

I've experienced this with my Lamy Safari using Lamy's ink, but only when I've left the cap off for about 7-10 minutes. A few quick strokes on the paper and it is usually back to writing smoothly again. This doesn't happen if I put the cap back on though. Mine is an extra-fine nib, however, and that might be part of the problem.

I am not sure if this has been raised- but after each time your pen runs out of ink you should make sure to clean the pen under running warm water- this should keep the system clean and also dislodge any possible causes for hampering your ink flow.

See new FP user I was setting it down on my desk with the cap off, I will stop that and see what happens thanks for all the advice

Having left a pen partially inverted (nib down) overnight, only to find the cap full of ink in the morning :sad: , I would suggest pens be stored vertically with the nib up or horizontally.

Kept the cap on solved the problem I have another question it seems you need to keep the pen at the right angle if I go to the side to much it scratches a little a little ink will this break in or do the demand the right angle for the NIB. Thanks don

Based on info found on this site and SMF, I purchased a Pelikano FP and am thrilled with it. I store it vertically with the nib up, and have had no problems. I find that you must hold the pen at the correct writing angle for the ink to flow properly. Just imagine that you are shaving your paper rather than writing on it! :lol:

Norm :boat:

Welcome, Don and Norm, to another world of potential acquisition disorders. :tongue: You may find some similarities between the two.

Though hardly an expert, I know more about fountain pens than DEs, so I'll take a stab at this. I think there are two questions here. One is the angle the (whole) pen makes with the paper. This should generally be less than 90 degrees; the exact angle will vary with the pen and the writer. A position you're comfortable with should work. (This may seem as though I'm talking about blade angles :smile: .)

The other question has to do with rotating the pen. The nib has two tines, separated by a slot. To write properly both tines need to be on the paper, so rotating the pen too far causes pens to not write as well. As long as you don't rotate the nib too far (i.e., off the "sweet spot") there should be no problem writing across the paper. See if you can find a comfortable writing position with your pens.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions.

Welcome, Don and Norm, to another world of potential acquisition disorders. :tongue: You may find some similarities between the two.

Though hardly an expert, I know more about fountain pens than DEs, so I'll take a stab at this. I think there are two questions here. One is the angle the (whole) pen makes with the paper. This should generally be less than 90 degrees; the exact angle will vary with the pen and the writer. A position you're comfortable with should work. (This may seem as though I'm talking about blade angles :smile: .)

The other question has to do with rotating the pen. The nib has two tines, separated by a slot. To write properly both tines need to be on the paper, so rotating the pen too far causes pens to not write as well. As long as you don't rotate the nib too far (i.e., off the "sweet spot") there should be no problem writing across the paper. See if you can find a comfortable writing position with your pens.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions.

Yes looking for recommendations on a new one I love the wirting but would like a heavier and bigger pen, Just move up to the M600 or is there something else to look at that is just as good but still in that $200 or down price range waqnt a gold nib.

You could have a look at a Lamy Persona. Top of the line of this brand. Quite big and heavy, large gold nib.
Writes extremely well. Cartridges or converter. Modern design, so maybe not for fans of the classic style.

Yes looking for recommendations on a new one I love the wirting but would like a heavier and bigger pen, Just move up to the M600 or is there something else to look at that is just as good but still in that $200 or down price range waqnt a gold nib.

Fast and easy answer (saves time, energy and money): If you're happy with your Pelikan and want to buy a slightly larger one (I don't know which one you have), the M600 is a good choice. There are a variety of colors and finishes available at the "600 level", and some (620, 625) are heavier than the standard M600, though I think the 625 is above your price range. Pelikan customer service is outstanding. For dimensions, comparisons and other info:
http://www.richardspens.com/
Richard's site has loads of useful information, including a section on oblique nibs (more below).

Pelikan web site http://www.hochwertige-schreibgeraete.de/groessen.php?nav=3
see also
http://www.ruettinger-web.de/e-pelikan-modell-souveraen.html

If you bought your pen at a local shop you can go back and try some larger Pelikans. Otherwise there are lots of online sources.

I think you should write more with your current pen to see if you like to rotate it or hold it at an angle. It may be that you'd be happier with an oblique nib rather than a standard one. You can purchase a Pelikan with a oblique nib or get the nib separately.

Making life more complicated answer: The $64,0000 question: what pen should I buy? I believe there are more possible answers to this than to which razor, blade, soap or cream, or brush one should use. Also less consensus! Run away!! :smile: Get an M6xx and call it quits.

If you must open cans of worms I can "help" you get started.

Fast and easy answer (saves time, energy and money): If you're happy with your Pelikan and want to buy a slightly larger one (I don't know which one you have), the M600 is a good choice. There are a variety of colors and finishes available at the "600 level", and some (620, 625) are heavier than the standard M600, though I think the 625 is above your price range. Pelikan customer service is outstanding. For dimensions, comparisons and other info:
http://www.richardspens.com/
Richard's site has loads of useful information, including a section on oblique nibs (more below).

Pelikan web site http://www.hochwertige-schreibgeraete.de/groessen.php?nav=3
see also
http://www.ruettinger-web.de/e-pelikan-modell-souveraen.html

If you bought your pen at a local shop you can go back and try some larger Pelikans. Otherwise there are lots of online sources.

I think you should write more with your current pen to see if you like to rotate it or hold it at an angle. It may be that you'd be happier with an oblique nib rather than a standard one. You can purchase a Pelikan with a oblique nib or get the nib separately.

Making life more complicated answer: The $64,0000 question: what pen should I buy? I believe there are more possible answers to this than to which razor, blade, soap or cream, or brush one should use. Also less consensus! Run away!! :smile: Get an M6xx and call it quits.

If you must open cans of worms I can "help" you get started.

Could you explain the Nib thing Obilique?

you could try this site- very helpful and the owners are unique in their own right. http://www.pendemonium.com/

within the site is an explanation of nibs, as well as different inks and their descriptions- just like blades- inks differ from manufactures and also as to their purpose.

Good luck :detective:

Could you explain the Nib thing Obilique?

+1 for Pendemonium.

I hope you'll be hearing from more knowledgeable folks than me.

Regarding oblique nibs, they're good for folks whose grip causes them to rotate their pens when they write. I strongly recommend you read the relevant sections of Richard Binder's website, http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref_txt.htm, found under "reference Information, Nibs I and II". I bow in awe to Richard's expertise in this area. If I thought it appropriate I'd paste his description here. Please note that oblique and italic are different things; I think you might want a round oblique nib instead of a standard round nib.

BUT, you may simply need a little more experience writing with a fountain pen. If you can stay on the nib's sweet spot when you write you don't need an oblique nib. I think I'd sort this out before purchasing another pen.

Top Bottom