What's new

Prices of Red Tips vs. Blue Tips

I'm just curious: why do Gillette Red Tip Super Speeds in their original cases sell for about twice what Blue Tips sell for on eBay? I've been following the prices recently, and Blues in very good to excellent condition are selling generally for about $24-29, while Reds are selling for $40-70. Anyone have a theory? I just don't understand why the Reds are that much more desirable....
There doesn't seem to be a scarcity of either.

The Red Tip is trendy now, and has a rep for being aggressive - which it's not...the original case doubles the value.

I'm not really sure, but I would bet that the Red-tip being such a great shaver has something to do with it. No doubt that wet-shavers snatching up all the usable ones (ie, non-mint) has driven the price of the cased ones up.

I'm looking forward to hearing others' insights.

Part of this is an apology, but there are people like me who love the Red Tips so much that if I see one in decent shape I buy it. I have four of them. In my defense, one was in a jar full of Gillettes that I bought at an antique store. I got two super clean ones for $35 on ebay about a month ago (don't know how that happened). My first I bought at a flea market for $10 and didn't know there was anything special about it. I feel guilty for hoarding.

I have one Blue Tip that I never use because it just feels so light.

Part of this is an apology, but there are people like me who love the Red Tips so much that if I see one in decent shape I buy it. I have four of them. In my defense, one was in a jar full of Gillettes that I bought at an antique store. I got two super clean ones for $35 on ebay about a month ago (don't know how that happened). My first I bought at a flea market for $10 and didn't know there was anything special about it. I feel guilty for hoarding.

I have one Blue Tip that I never use because it just feels so light.

You should feel guilty for hoarding! :tongue_sm Don't worry, really, lots of people hoard the things. They are great, and I would hoard them if I had the dough. If you're feeling generous, though, consider giving one to a needy B&Ber!

Blue Tip SuperSpeeds are pretty mild shavers and not a lot of folks shave with them. The more aggressive Red Tip SuperSpeeds are used by a lot of folks so they are naturally more desireable, hence the higher price.

Hi everyone. I came across a blue and red tip at an antique store the other day for $7 dollars apiece. I didn't really look at them closely because I was looking for a Slim or Fat Boy. I found a very nice user grade slim for $5 at a different antique store, but I think that I will go back and take a closer look at both of the SSs next week.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hi everyone. I came across a blue and red tip at an antique store the other day for $7 dollars apiece. I didn't really look at them closely because I was looking for a Slim or Fat Boy. I found a very nice user grade slim for $5 at a different antique store, but I think that I will go back and take a closer look at both of the SSs next week.

That's how the Aquisition Disorder begins!
"I'm just going back to take a look"

I picked up a nice red tip for $17 on the bay about a month ago (no case though). If you keep looking, bargains can be found.

Blue Tip SuperSpeeds are pretty mild shavers and not a lot of folks shave with them. The more aggressive Red Tip SuperSpeeds are used by a lot of folks so they are naturally more desireable, hence the higher price.

+1 Being mild, and fairly lightweight (aluminum vs. plated metal) they are a little less desirable. I once owned a Blue Tip. While it shaved fine, I don't remember it ever being my favorite razor. :tongue_sm

Man, now I feel guilty that I was able to pick up my red tip (my first DE razor) at an estate sale for $1, original plastic case (?) with 5 Gilette thin razor blades (marked copyright 1938). It's in really great shape, too.

I just sold mine with a case for near $100, which absolutely blew my mind...
I never much cared for the Red Tip, but my friend absolutely loves his. And he's not in it for the trendiness i.e. he doesn't even have a computer ;)

so would you say a blue tip is better for a noob:blink:

Top Bottom