What's new

Is moisturizing bad?

Hi,

I've read on the odd occasion that moisturizing is bad for your skin as it relys on it, and will prevent producing its own oils. Making it dry in the long term.

What are your views/ opinions?

I think I'm becoming semi reluctant to moisturize now :huh:

Cheers

In theory perhaps yes, in practice no. Your skin wouldn't need moisturizer if it wasn't already dry and even if your skin characteristics changed with usage, would it not readily change back upon stoppage of product? My skin tends to oily and it still does after using balms for a while. YMMV

I think the idea has been somewhat overblown.

What works really well is sealing in the moisture that you body already produces; i.e., barrier products.

there used to be a great product released "for wet work." You put it on your hands in the morning and actually "sealed it" with running water. Water would then bead up on your hands like it does on a newly waxed car. Seriously.

When my hands were really, really dry I would use this stuff. After 2-3 days they were much improved. After a week they were soft like a baby's skin.

I wish I could remember what it was called.

I think the idea has been somewhat overblown.

What works really well is sealing in the moisture that you body already produces; i.e., barrier products.

there used to be a great product released "for wet work." You put it on your hands in the morning and actually "sealed it" with running water. Water would then bead up on your hands like it does on a newly waxed car. Seriously.

When my hands were really, really dry I would use this stuff. After 2-3 days they were much improved. After a week they were soft like a baby's skin.

I wish I could remember what it was called.

Now that sounds like a great product.

From my knowledge base the use of emollients are frequently recommended for individuals with certain dermatological diseases and skin types. I've not come across any literature that suggests moisturizers are harmful in the way that you have read about. Doesn't mean it isn't true, but I've not heard of it.

If your skin is dry, you want to moisturize it to help it along, but in principle you want to promote your skin making its own oils. Best way is to judge what skin type you have. I do the following regimen:
Every night, I wash my face with warm water for 2-3 minutes. Hot towel treatment is also good. It "opens" pores and allows for the crud to get out. it's this crud buildup that over time, prevents skin from "breathing". Once washed, don't put anything on. Go to sleep.

In the AM, shower, shave and use a moisturizer. I like Trumper's or Dr. Hauschka's line of cremes. The latter is a little pricey, but well worth it.

At night, repeat process. keep doing this for a little while, and in a few weeks, you'll notice a difference. The less on your face, the better...you allow your skin to do what it is supposed to do, naturally.

Using humectant like glycerin by themselves is not recommended, especially if you have dry skin. It loves moisture and will draw it from anywhere in the environment...including your skin/cells. Glycerin is best used when mixed with water. A lot of AS have it.

Now, this is if you don't have skin issues/problems. If not, consult a physician before doing anything

Legion

Staff member
I don't know if the moisturiser itself is doing harm but I have been told by several women that I am too rough when I rub it on my face, especially around the eyes. Apparently that skin is very thin and easily damaged so you have to be extra gentle putting it on.

I don't know if the moisturiser itself is doing harm but I have been told by several women that I am too rough when I rub it on my face, especially around the eyes. Apparently that skin is very thin and easily damaged so you have to be extra gentle putting it on.

The eye is a very finicky mucous membrane. The restriction of using facial moisturizers around the eye is the danger of it getting in the eye and causing problems and you don't want that. Also just like cutting an onion the fumes will get into your eye and irritate it as well. Just be careful around the eyes.

Every night, I wash my face with warm water for 2-3 minutes. Hot towel treatment is also good. It "opens" pores and allows for the crud to get out. it's this crud buildup that over time, prevents skin from "breathing". Once washed, don't put anything on. Go to sleep.

Can you explain this process to me? I have a hard time believing water by itself does a good job of cleansing your skin. Maybe it's just the germaphobe in me that's talking but it sounds unsanitary to be honest.

I finally found a cleanser that doesn't dry me at all so I just barely apply a light moisturizer and it works for me but I'm curious about your water only method. It would save me time and money.

Last edited:
Can you explain this process to me? I have a hard time believing water by itself does a good job of cleansing your skin. Maybe it's just the germaphobe in me that's talking but it sounds unsanitary to be honest.

I finally found a cleanser that doesn't dry me at all so I just barely apply a light moisturizer and it works for me but I'm curious about your water only method. It would save me time and money.

1) Warm water helps expand skin pores, essentially opening them (although opening/closing of pores is the wrong term)...
2) Warm water helps clean out "crud" (hardened oil, bacteria, toxins, etc...) from the pores.
3) Warm towel facilitates opening pores for water to work.

Using too much moisturizer or all the time makes skin cells lazy and in the presence of exogenous oil (i.e., moisturizers, etc...), they will not need to produce or work to produce the oil necessary. Your skin knows how much to produce and when. Your job is to keep skin clean (not sterile) of old and hardened oil.

Water is sufficient since most oils are fatty acids or derivatives and are soluble in water. That's all you need.

Besides, you don't want to create a 100% sterile surface for yourself...Some of these germs are beneficial for homeostasis of skin and our bodies...After all, we are composed of ~70-80% bacteria (by number, not mass). Bioflora in our bodies, including our skin, are necessary for proper maintenance of our system. There is a fine balance though.

Hope this helps

Moisturizing may be unecessary for people with perfect skin. My facial skin absolutely requires it. It ranges from too dry to way too oily. When I use a nice oil free moisturizer, my skin remains relatively balanced.

If I don't wash, wash too much, or use the wrong moisturizer after washing my skin becomes super oily and then acne tends to set in.

My face care regime actually includes washing with a mild face wash, followed by an alcohol based AS, followed by an oil free moisturizer.

I'd suggest a good lotion for dry hands. I like Jergens because it makes me think of my mother, and Jergens is good, but I suspect Euceryn (Eucerin???) Is better.

How about hands? The skin on the back of my hands is suddenly dry and cracking. Anything I can really do for that?

Any number of lotions/creams will help. The greasier and oilier it feels, the better it will work. The old-school Neutrogena (greasy like vaseline) works really well, if you can stand the way it makes your hands feel. Aveeno makes several nice moisturizers.

Put a greasy moisturizer on your hands at night before you go to bed and that will help a lot over time.

Or, you can use Kerodex every morning.

I have a little bottle of vitamin E "skin oil" its called. would that be sufficient, it's pretty greasy. If not I'll look at picking up one of these creams. Sadly I hate greasy but I am willing to try if anything to stop the itch.

I'm actually thinking to pickup kerodex for in the gym as lifting chalk I am sure makes my hands dry.

Heard it is not good for skin. The skin gets used to artificial moisturizers and slows down the internal sebacaus (oil) production.

Top Bottom