What's new

What to do with this Scotch?

I have come across an old bottle of Scotch and I am trying to decide what to do with it.
The facts:
It is a 1970's vintage bottle with the seal intact.
It is a Blended whisky and it wasn't an expensive bottle of whisky to begin with but I have found a slightly older bottle selling on the whiskey exchange for ~ $300.
It is from a distiller that is no longer mixing and distributing (that I know of)
It is Bulloch & Lade (B&L)

Should I drink it/Share it or should I sell it if I can get some money for it?

If I sell it are there any suggestions on how to sell it to get the best return?

It is horrible stuff. You should send it to me for proper disposal. j/k ALl joking aside, it depends on what you want to do, and what kind of position you are in. I would say go for it and drink it. You are probably never going to get that bottle again. If you are in a financial hole of any sort, then at least see what you could possibly get for it. Or see what you could possibly get for it, and then decide. The other person might not even get close to the asking price. He/she might be expecting too much for his/her bottle.

I agree with the above post. Drink it up! Unless you are in real need for the money. I used to horde stuff like that, but what is the point of having it if you can't enjoy it. If the bottle is nice to look at it will probably be nice to look at empty too, plus you can tell everyone how good it was!

If you need the money, sell it. If you don't, then enjoy it-if you like Scotch drink it up, if you don't, it would be a much appreciated gift to someone who does, esp. this time of year.

If you are buying, think how little will the owner take for it; if selling, think how much will someone pay for it and price accordingly. When selling it is easier to come down in price than vice versa; when buying, the converse is true. +-$300. will buy better Scotch than that bottle; they went out of business so that may tell you something. Check ralfy.com and he can perhaps help you.

If you are buying, think how little will the owner take for it; if selling, think how much will someone pay for it and price accordingly. When selling it is easier to come down in price than vice versa; when buying, the converse is true. +-$300. will buy better Scotch than that bottle; they went out of business so that may tell you something. Check ralfy.com and he can perhaps help you.

on that note instead of ralfy i'd contact andy bell his number is in the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCQfJQo_esQ

My gut says you'll be disappointed with it. If you can sell it for good money, that's what I'd do.

I expect it is a slightly smokey blended whisky, sharp and rather uninspiring. I figure that, if you could still buy it, the bottle would be a $20-$30 bottle. One of the blends in it is Caol Ila which is one of my favorites. But again, it is a blended whiskey so great things are not expected.

One of my friends suggested that I open it and charge my friends a $3-$5 donation to try it. Amusing idea but not something I would ask of my friends.

If I could easily sell it and come up with the price of a bottle of Islay malt then I would. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to sell it. It looks like it may get opened and consumed.

Once Scotch is in the bottle, it doesn't improve with age (unlike Port, which can mellow over time). When they talk about 18, 25, or 100-year old Scotch, they are referring to how much time the whisky spent in the barrel. So there's no inherent value to a "vintage" bottle of Scotch unless a collector really wants it for some reason. My gut tells me you won't get much trying to sell it. Drink up!

Few things I would do first
  • Post pics here so we can see the bottle
  • Contact the Diageo's Archive Department should be Christine.J.McCafferty @ diageo.com (B&L -->Caol Ila Distillery Company Ltd--> Distillers Company Limited-->Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd -->Guinness (United Distillers)-->Diageo)

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have come across an old bottle of Scotch and I am trying to decide what to do with it.
The facts:
It is a 1970's vintage bottle with the seal intact.
It is a Blended whisky and it wasn't an expensive bottle of whisky to begin with but I have found a slightly older bottle selling on the whiskey exchange for ~ $300.
It is from a distiller that is no longer mixing and distributing (that I know of)
It is Bulloch & Lade (B&L)

Should I drink it/Share it or should I sell it if I can get some money for it?

If I sell it are there any suggestions on how to sell it to get the best return?

If someone wanted to give me $300 for an old bottle of inexpensive scotch, I'd let him. Heck, the same guy probably has a "Corker" bottle of Musgo Real aftershave that he thinks is worth $10, and an ancient puck of Yardley shave soap he'd be glad to use in the shower.

See, we all have old stuff cluttering up the back of the closet, and to us and just about everyone else, it's just "old stuff". But every once in a while there's some rabid collector who is just dying to get his hands on a specific item that hasn't been made for years, and he and his fellow nutcases ... er, avid collectors ... are willing to pay through the nose for it. Ever see how much a NOS Filarmonica goes for on eBay? Yowza.

Is a $30 bottle of scotch worth an extra $270 in taste enjoyment to you simply because it's the last bottle in existance from that distillery? To me, it'd still taste like $30 scotch (plus it'd have that nasty "you just blew $270" aftertaste.)

Gotta agree with the guys who say you'll likely be underwhelmed. If you can get something worthwhile for it, then why not? Unless you're that Russian guy from the Direct TV commercial..."Opulence, I has it...and I drink last-on-earth cheap blends because I can."

I'd vote for either having some friends help you share some not-so-good old scotch, or sell it to someone who really likes it for a nice price and get ahold of some really nice stuff to enjoy with same friends. Or maybe you could buy a year's supply of decent stuff.
If you don't have friends to drink with, sell it and buy some nice shaving gear! :thumbup:

Top Bottom