What's new

How Frequently Do You Shave?

How Frequently Do You Shave With A Straight?

• Daily

• Weekdays Only

• Every Other Day - not shaving on the "off" day

• Every Other Day - DE/SE/other shaving on "off" day

• Other - Feel free to expand on your answer

Results are only viewable after voting.
I posted in another thread of my surprise in finding, after several months of straight shaving, that my DE provided as good a shave without the trauma to my skin. The areas which are normally quite tender after using a straight were properly shaved without the tenderness. My skin seemed to be in better condition, presumably because it hadn't had quite such a close encounter with a razor sharp edge as it gets with a straight.

I suggested that in the days men were shaved I may have gone to the barber every other day. A reply suggested that back in the day men were shaved maybe twice a week.

I have found that on Mondays I get a very good shave with a straight. It is close with hardly any irritation. Normally I don't shave on Sundays so, for me at any rate, it seems that I do better when there is more for the straight to deal with.

What's your experience?

I voted "other" because I sometimes shave twice a day. I think that, in the past, the frequency of shaving was a function of occupation/social class. Some men, like farmers, only shaved once a week. Professionals certainly shaved every day, also as suggested by the existence of 7-day sets.

Shaving with a straight requires a very light touch and this may explain your irritation compared to a DE. I will often do five light passes because I get a very close shave with no irritation. If I attempted to get the same closeness with three passes, I would end up trying too hard and cause irritation.

I shave everyday. On a rare occassion I will shave twice in a day on the weekends but that's usually because I want to test out razors I've honed.

Usually every second day. My skin wouldn't allow me to shave every day but fortunately my hairgrowth isn't that strong anyways. So I still look decently on the 'off' day.

I must shave every single day that I work. There have been times that I go months without taking breaks. However, I do occasionally (usually when on vacation) grow a beard just for a change of pace.

I always have 1 day off shaving, think its good to give your skin a recovery from shaving, usually its a sunday, though if i am off work, i only shave every other day, in work, every day apart from the 1 day off

I shave every other day. I also can shave every day if I would like to, but I do find that I get the best shaves with a day or two of growth - I just don't like to wait for two!

Straights leave me face feeling fresh and healthy - tired a DE the other day, and my face became itchy and "weird" feeling. I have same issue with pretty much every kind of manufactured blade. A straight, when used properly, gives me all the pros with pretty much no cons.

I shave every day (might skip the odd day...). I also find just the opposite of the OP and get NO irritation or hot spots with my straight compared to my DE. I might not get as close a shave everywhere (same trouble spots as with DE) but today I hit the 1 week mark of straight shaving so I can't imagine it not getting better as time goes on.

Going from cart/goo to DE/soap, it was as much of an improvement going from DE to straights. I can't see myself going back.

At least a day and 1/2 between shaves, usually 2. I fought razor burn for months with a DE, stopped taking a shower before shaving, quit doing a pre-shave soak-prep, all kinds of things to prevent razor burn. I've only got razor burn from a straight once - when I tried face lathering again (same thing happened with a DE). I am amazed at how I'm not having any trouble with razor burn with a straight, do some prep again, and stubble is barely appearing after 24 hours. Shaving every day with a straight wouldn't make sense for me. I shaved every day when I used a cartridge.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Everyday. I haven't missed a day since I'm a member on B&B. I did the progressive approach when I started with a straight but I've been a straight shaver full time since Christmas 2009

Hi RF,
I thought a poll like was already done not too long ago. I could be wrong though

Straight shaving is certainly a technique to be mastered well...think of it as going from a cartridge to DE...your skin probably felt tender and raw until your technique improved and your skin adjusted

Same thing applies when going from DE to straight. Technique needs to improve and skin needs to adjust (although less so than going from cart to DE)

Give it a little time and things will click. I use straight every day with no irritation whatsoever.

Just my 2 cents

Daily, and with no irritation at all.
I get a smooth, comfortable shave, and my face is as smooth as a baby's behind.

Top Bottom