What's new

Best Performing Soap Hands Down

Lol, guess I should have never sent you some of that P160 :biggrin1: I'm hoarding onto about 600g of the stuff myself.

Martin De Candre to me beats Tabac, but then a lot of soaps do to for me personally. I "cheaped" out on the MdC though and got the glass bowl to "save" around $10....

Yeah just looking at the ingredients, MdC looks like it'd make some monster lather. As for the P160, I've bumped into the Kilo bricks of it online a few times at stores that don't remove discontinued items (just add "sold out" in tiny print). If I ever make another batch of soap, a Cherry Vanilla batch is definitely in the cards. That scent is addictive.

I've tried MWF, Mama Bears, VDH Deluxe, VDH Glycerin, Proraso green tub, Omega black tub, TOBS Sandlewood.

Mama Bears gave me the closest shave. If I want protection I go to MWF.

For me, day in, day out, it's AOS. Yeah, it's a little expensive, but as mentioned, a puck will last forever so it's not so bad.

Scent is nice and performance is top notch.

I get all the stuff about the stores, Gillette etc but when I want a great shave, it's the one I reach for. Every time. I don't have to fuss with it or worry about it. It just works.

Several others I've tried are great, Cade, PdP, MWF and Tabac but AOS just beats them all for me.

(someone should tabulate the results here:thumbup1:)

Ken

For so far it's
AOS (Sandlewood and Unsented)
Tabac
MWF

Still waiting to try some others, but I've noticed as my technique gets better I can get a good shave with alot of soaps.

I need to add Speick to this list. Used it about 4 times already and it's great!

Best I have used so far would be:

1 Vintage Colgate, Vintage Williams, or Vintage Old Spice
2 Tabac
3 Art of Shaving Sandalwood

Of the ones I have tried,
AOS, lathers easily, protective, easy on the skin, GREAT sandalwood scent.
Cella, love it, also great scent.
Cade and MWF tie, MWF is nice, but tricky to lather, Cade dries my face a bit.
Haven't tried Tabac for a while, so I can't give it an exact rating, but I think it would beat Cade/MWF for #3.
Col. Conk, Honeybee Spa

If either of my girls ever offered to buy me a present :)lol: I know, sometimes I kill myself.
proxy.php
proxy.php
) I would ask for AoS or C&S, or perhaps that snooty French one.

Girls like in daughters or as in girl friends? My girl friend loves me so much she went to Paris and picked up two large jars of Martin de Candre as a gift. Now that's a girl friend! :001_tt1: For me MdC is the best soap. Wonderful stuff.

Soaps I've tried:

Arko
Erasmic stick
Gentlemen's Best
Klar Kabinett
Monsavon
MWF
P.160
Palmolive stick (euro tallow)
Proraso
Saint Charles Shave
SliceOfLife's Soap
Speick stick
Tabac
TGQ
VDH Deluxe
VDH Glycerine
Williams (vintage and modern)
Williams Menthol (Boy, do I miss that stuff!)

(I've tried lots of different creams, too, but since we're talking soaps here ... )

I know you're looking for the best performance, regardless of price or scent, but how would you like to have all 3? Of all the soaps I've tried, IMHO the best performer is Saint Charles Shave soaps. And, it would be tough to beat the price or scents of SCS wares! :thumbup1:

Of the soaps I have tried...

Best Performer - Pen's EF old formulation

Best Performer Still Available for Sale - Czech & Speake No. 88 and O&C

While I am still relatively new to wet shaving, I have tried a variety of soaps. I currently enjoy Prairie Creations with a tallow base. A previous poster I believe said it best, it using your brushe(es) to make the best lather. I will added to that it is finding the sweet spot of warm water to produce great lather.

My only experience to this day is Edwin Jagger Sandalwood 65 grammes, but it gives a nice lather that topples on my silvertip after only a minute of spinning and smells very nice.

I'm considering to buy a glycerin and goat milk handmade soap I saw in the market the other day, but it was rather on the steep side of the price range and you won't be able to get it, so maybe it was superfluous mentioning it. It's just such an interesting blend I might have to buy some and get back to you with a review.

:eek:)
Perkus

Top Bottom