What's new

Natural Acne/Acne Scar Product Recommendations

I'm in my mid-20s and since I was a teen have encountered re-occuring acne. Sometimes just mild but other times it develops into embarrassing huge bumps which don't go away for weeks and leave scars for many more. After doing some vigorous research my conclusions are that the acne is linked to dairy and or digestion issues in my case and I'm taking some steps to alter my diets some.

I recently started using some natural products on my face which I am pleasantly surprised by. They've definitely minimized and diminished some of the active acne that I am typically prone to. I wanted to share with you all and wanted to get some feedback as to what other natural products you guys use and have found to be effective if you've dealt with the same issues.

- Burt Bees (Soap Bark and Chamimomile) Cleanser - Good first line of defense.
- Braggs Organic Apple Cider Vinegar - Applied topically. Also drink diluted.
- Burt Bees (Garden Tomato) Toner - Good Hydrator.
- Organic Tea Tree Oil - Great for spot treatment. Would not recommend using all over. Will dry out and darken the acne spot though. Can balance out with the combination of toner.
- Burt Bees (Citrus) Facial Scrub - Gentle Exfoliator.
- Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Gel - For Vitamin E. Weird to drink but can also apply topically.

I've been using these products for 1-2 months and I have noticed improvement but am still working on the remnants of older and deeper acne scars. I think these will take time but if you all have any natural recommendations please let me know as they are the only type of products which my skin is not bothered by.

Have you tried an aspirin mask? Google it and you'll find plenty of information about what it is supposed to do for your skin. In the simplest version you use several uncoated plain aspirin, dissolve them in a very small amount of warm water and spread it on your face, avoiding the area around your eyes and lips, leave it on for 10 minutes and rinse it off, or rub it off gently with damp hands. You can add a little honey to it, and a few drops of jojoba oil to make it stick better. You can also do it as a spot treatment when you feel a pimple coming on. Not if you are allergic to aspirin, of course!

i've never heard of this before but i'm definitely gonna give it a try. thank you!

+1 on the Aspirin mask it worked wonders for my skin. I only have minor breakouts every few weeks but an aspirin mask 2x a week seems to reduce the severity quite a bit and it also makes my skin really smooth and soft. Its a bit messy, but very effective.

@Kahnvict: I think it all depends on how much scarring you are willing to tolerate before you go to a dermatologist.

I think once the scar has created a depression in the face, it can only be filled in later by injections of a substance to fill them in. As far as more minor scars, you can have the doctor do dermabrasion on them at some time. But why wait till it gets to that point?

Pine Tar Soap my friend. I have the same problem and have tried many things--had a beard for most of my 20s to cover it up. Here is what I have found--keep a rotation going the bacteria will build a resistance to a continually used product. I have three "acne" products in the shower: one with salicylic acid, one nivea product, and one that is a scrub. I will use the face wash at the beginning of the shower and then at the end, use the pine tar soap. I have noticed with this method that I have less problems and the spots I do get are smaller and heal quicker.

I still get some acne into my late 40's and although I've had very good luck with salicylic acid (Neutrogena) and benzoyl peroxide (CVS version of Panoxyl) washes, my skin must be drying out as I get older and they can be a bit harsh if used every day. I've been using African Black soap lately and skipping the benzoyl peroxide and it seems to be working well. Also been using Tea Tree oil which has been effective although I only use it at night as the smell is strong.

I'll have to give the aspirin mask a go soon as that sounds interesting. I use Tend Skin after shaving and sometimes as night for ingrowns and it seems to help as long as I use it regularly. I find using a charcoal/clay mask at least once a week and changing my bedsheets more often makes a big difference too.....my face definitely is an indicator of when I've been too lazy to keep up with either of these.

Yes, changing pillow cases and sheets regularly helps tremendously. I have used the African Black soap as well--but not for long enough periods to tell any difference.

Top Bottom