What's new

Newbie wanting advice: Safety razor vs. Straight razor

So I'm starting to get myself set up with a wet shaving setup. So far I have a brush, soap and a bowl. But I'm missing the most crucial part, the razor. Do I go with the safety razor or the straight razor? I have really sensitive skin and coarse beard hair, so I'm very prone to ingrown hairs and razor burn. So which option do I go with?

The choice is yours to make. DE and SE razors often are the starting off point of wet shavers. Straight razors require more work. Look here to see what I mean. No matter which way you choose to go each requires a learning curve.

For a good starting off point make sure you look at the information at http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=71700. The information there will direct you to where you can get answers to all of your shaving needs. Plus, it’s always a good idea to read the wikis and stickies. And, don’t forget, if you have any questions just ask.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I am going to let you study, learn and make your own decision. In reality that is your call.

I would like to welcome you to B&B. It is a wealth of information and a great time. Hope to see you around.:thumbup1:

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm leaning towards the safety razor. I'm definitely considering the straight razor though once I build my confidence. What suggestions do people have for aftershave? I've never really put too much thought into what kind I use. I have a bottle of Old Spice Classic scent, which I'm particularly fond of. Unfortunately my girlfriend hates the smell. What are good alternatives?

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm leaning towards the safety razor. I'm definitely considering the straight razor though once I build my confidence. What suggestions do people have for aftershave? I've never really put too much thought into what kind I use. I have a bottle of Old Spice Classic scent, which I'm particularly fond of. Unfortunately my girlfriend hates the smell. What are good alternatives?

Again there is a lot of personal choice there. How much do you want to spend? What do you want to smell like? How long do you want the smell to last? Do you want to go unscented and use a cologne? For an inexpensive AS I like the menthol feel of Prorasso. A lot of the box store brands work fine as well. Poke around here a bit and see what you may learn. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=18

The learning curve isn't as great with safety razors as with straight razors. But, when shaving with something like a DE, you will be learning skills like skin stretching and WTG/XTG/ATG that are also required skills with straight razors.

I would try out a number of the drug store classic aftershaves: Skin Bracer, Aqua Velva, Brut, and Clubman.

Barbasol Brisk, and Barbasol Pacific Rush are great ,and available from Dollar General.

Sally Beauty stocks Master Bay Rum, which smells wonderful.

If you want to try out some of the higher end stuff, right now is the best time as there are holiday gift sets, and large bottles of Aftershave available at great prices.

I recently got a 8oz bottle of Stetson aftershave for $9 at Walmart, and a similar sized bottle of Canoe Aftershave for $10 at Big Lots.

Legion

Staff member
Personally, I'd start with a DE and get your technique down as far as lather building, prep, and all the various aspects of wet shaving. Once it is all second nature and you are regularly getting BBS then get a...

SE. :lol: Play with that for a while. It is close to a DE to use but has some of the feel of a straight.

Then get a straight, and start learning it all again... :thumbup1:

So I'm starting to get myself set up with a wet shaving setup. So far I have a brush, soap and a bowl. But I'm missing the most crucial part, the razor. Do I go with the safety razor or the straight razor? I have really sensitive skin and coarse beard hair, so I'm very prone to ingrown hairs and razor burn. So which option do I go with?

Of the two, you will find more success/sooner with a DE as they are more forgiving than a SE. What most people will not tell you is, if you perfect your technique with a DE, you will enjoy a shave every bit as close--in my opinion--as a SE.

Find a razor and a blade that agrees with you, and you have found your pair. From then on it is about technique. It will just get better and better from my limited experience.

Bodach

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

This should help you: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Getting_started_wetshaving

Now, which one should you pick? Well, that's up to you. Pick the one that seems better for yourself. As mentioned up here, using a straight razor is a commitment. Keep that in mind. Also, you won't get the best shave of your life when you first try a straight. Having said that, it's possible that you will have the exact same experience with a DE razor...

I started with a DE but I am now exclusively shaving with a straight. I do not own any DE anymore...

Your call, i started off with a de, and still use them as well, the de was easier to learn, but saying that, if you want to use a straight, jump right in from the word go, and put all of your learning skils into using that.

Welcome to Badger & Blade!

I would start with a DE. That way, you can focus on your technique first. Later on, you can always start with a straight, but I think trying to master that and technique at the same time is difficult.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
beastoftheeast:
Welcome to the B & B...and yes...your 'gonna' love it here :shaving:

I would go with a fairly mild safety razor like a Merkur 23C :thumbup1:

Also, Once you get time....please tell all of us a little about yourself in the Hall of Fame sub-forum :biggrin1:

Christopher :badger:

You can just pop a blade into a DE and shave, while straights have a whole other set of ancillary maintenance issues - stropping, honing - that if done wrong can not only wreck your shave but take the razor competely out of circulation while you send it to be repaired.

For a newbie who's already struggling with learning lathering and all the basic shave techniques, that can be an added layer of complexity you might want to put off for a while.

Stick with a DE till you get consistently good, multipass shaves and learn how to make proper lather. Then move onto a straight.

I jumped into straight shaving too soon and I regret being so hasty.

Top Bottom