What's new

Looking forward to Laphroaig

So many different bottles to choose from. Passed on all the Kentucky and Tennessee offerings, as well as the Speyside single malts, and grabbed a bottle of this Islay Scotch. Should be a relaxing holiday!

So many different bottles to choose from. Passed on all the Kentucky and Tennessee offerings, as well as the Speyside single malts, and grabbed a bottle of this Islay Scotch. Should be a relaxing holiday!

which phroaig did you get i hope its quarter cask. but as long as you like peat and smoke you will love it

Nice solid bottle indeed.

There are a lot of good Laphroaig private offerings around at the moment as well.

This afternoon just picked up an 18 year old bottled Hart Bros Laphroaig offering to enjoy over the holiday weekend.

Nice ones available from Douglas and Old Malt Cask as well.

Woooh. What a unique flavor. Definitely different than the Lagavulin. I don't know exactly what I'm tasting, but I think the smokey beef description applies. I'm talking about the finish, way back on my palate. And it hangs around for a bit. Long time between small sips. This will be on the shelf a long time.

I opened the bottle an hour after turkey dinner. My father-in-law is up for anything. He is the one who introduced me to Scotch. "I'm game," he says. I give him a brief on Islay Scotch (very brief - the little I have heard and experienced), and we pour a finger each with a cube. Way more flavor than the Lagavulin. I quit after 2 fingers, but he had three glasses of a couple fingers. I experienced no sweetness after sniffing the cork. The ladies in the room complained of the smokey band aids smell. Is that the iodine?

I'll have to give this a try a couple of more evenings before I can say I'd get another Islay anytime soon.

Last edited:
Great bottle of Scotch. I like this Scotch with an ice cube also. I really enjoy the smokey flavor and how long the taste lasts.

Cheers!!

did you add any water? water tones the peat and smoke down and opens up the sweetness at least for the QC it dose.

I was hoping to add just a little water by the cube melting. I will try a bit of water next time and no ice. I'm thinking New Year's Eve by the firepit.

How much would you recommend?

The ladies in the room complained of the smokey band aids smell. Is that the iodine?

Yes, comes from the seaweed based peat burned to stop the barley malting. The barley gets infused with the smoke from the fire.

The peat is rich in iodine because there are very few trees on the island. The only vegetable material to rot down over the years to become peat is seaweed, and from seaweed we get iodine.

I think Laphroaig is a great single malt. My wife on the other hand would agree with your ladies!

I've been debating picking up another bottle of this stuff. Haven't had it for years. I've been talking myself into and out of buying some more...this thread may just have tipped the balance. :001_smile

I'm glad you enjoyed your Laphroaig experience. I, on the otherhand have not. I picked up a bottle a few weeks ago - after years of procrastination. Thus far I haven't liked it in the least.

I've tried it straight, with a few drops of water, and mixed 2 to 1 with water. All I taste is olive juice. I'm hoping that in time it will grow on me, but for now I'm kicking myself for not grabbing the sherry cask Glenmorangie.

I'm glad you enjoyed your Laphroaig experience. I, on the otherhand have not. I picked up a bottle a few weeks ago - after years of procrastination. Thus far I haven't liked it in the least.

I've tried it straight, with a few drops of water, and mixed 2 to 1 with water. All I taste is olive juice. I'm hoping that in time it will grow on me, but for now I'm kicking myself for not grabbing the sherry cask Glenmorangie.

The first time I tried Laphroaig was April 2009 (when it was the spirit of the month). Initially, I didn't care for it much, but I kept going back to it. Now Laphroaig is one of my favorites. Put the bottle away and come back to it later on: hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised.

Top Bottom