What's new

Sunglasses

Gents, another accessory I enjoy are good quality sunglasses. I usually have 2 pairs in my car for my mood and dress. I always have a pair of polarized Rayban Wayfarers and a pair of Persol 2355S.

This summer and fall I have bought numerous sunglasses. I have bought pairs of Persol 649, Maui Jim Atoll and Smith Optics The Chemist and a few others. Out of all the glasses I bought, the pair I like the most are the Smith Optics. They are light and moderately priced. I can wear these for hiking and other outdoor activities.

What do you have and enjoy?

When in uniform I stick to sunglasses that meet the requirements of both protection and style (black frames, non-reflective lenses, nothing "faddish" or overly bold). The two that top my list for work are Oakley Flak Jacket XLJs and ESS CDI. Both offer ballistic protection and fit well under my helmet.

Flak Jacket:
proxy.php

ESS CDI:
proxy.php

When not in uniform I also appreciate sunglasses as a quality accessory. I have sets of Maui Jims (2), Ray Ban (both polarized and non) (5), Persols (2), and one pair of Oakley Crosshairs. I had a pair of Smiths, but broke them the last time I went to the desert. Others that are still in my sunglasses drawer but see little use include Serengeti, Bollé, and a pair of Burberry that I purchased on a whim.

The MJ Atoll in your post will likely be my next purchase.

Maui Jim:
proxy.php
proxy.php

Oakley Crosshair:
proxy.php

I've tried more sunglasses than I care to think about over the years and never been completely happy with them except I hit the jackpot with my last pair. They are Christian Dior aviators. The perfect balance of fit, comfort and performance for what I want. Hopefully I won't end up dropping them or sitting on them or something stupid like that as the model is no longer made.

My ex-wife lost several Persol, Chanel and Coach glasses. She could not keep up with them. :angry:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I try different brands and keep coming back to Ray Bans.:thumbup: I just love the absoloute clarity you get looking through them. I love the look of Maui Jim and some of the Oakley models, just don't see as clear through them.

I would love a pair of Wayfarers but SWMBO says I look like a dork in them.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My ex-wife lost several Persol, Chanel and Coach glasses. She could not keep up with them. :angry:

My dad's MO when driving on vacation:
1) drive
2) see something scenic
3) pull over
4) get out of the car
5) lean in through the window to get his camera and leave his sunglasses
6) walk over and take a photo
7) get back in the car
8) remember that he put his sunglasses on his seat
9) curse
10) drive
11) squint a lot.

:lol:

I've worn Oakley's for years. Living in Aus, we wear them pretty much all year round, so they have to last. Only Oakley's I've broken were the ones I threw at my car. Long story.

Half jacket for Golf, but I have too many kids to get to play now.
Prescription Fives for driving.
Also had Canteen and Minutes.

Tried some America Optical aviators, but hated them. Found them for cheap, and they were. Currently dealing with a PITA online retailer to exchange them for Serengeti Velocity. Good quality frames and photochrome lenses.

They thought they had the returned glasses, now aren't sure, but took me on trust and offered credit for them. I hate dealing with people on the other side of the world who don't respond to emails, or read the ones they do respond to AAAARGGGH.

This is sometimes the price you actually pay for trying to get pricey goods for less than half of what they cost locally. Every shaving vendor I've dealt with has been nothing less than excellent.

Last edited:
I stick to Oakley for duty but I have several other brands that I enjoy for casual, dress and off duty wear.

I'm a big fan of several that Ray Ban offers particularly for dress.

Last edited:
Have always had a pair of Ray-Ban sunglasses since I was a freshman in HS.

That summer before I was a freshman was when the classic movie " The Blues Brothers " came out. I worked my butt off mowing yards just so I could purchase a pair of Wayfarers. I got a pair for $30 and wore them proudly. I have worn other sunglasses from time to time but always came back to the Wayfarers. I bought another pair of Wayfarers in 1996 when I was in Atlanta working the Olympics and I had left the original pair back home. I have purchased a few other different types of Ray-Bans over the years but always wore the Wayfarers whenever I could. But alas some relationships are destined to end. Last week after 30 years my original pair of were broken when some knucklehead drunk driver slammed into my car while it was parked. I had left the glasses in the space on the driver side door and that was where the jerk hit my car. Luckily no one was hurt, but this just sucks that this joker was driving on a suspended license, and did not have insurance. to top all this off this was his FIFTH DWI.:thumbdown

Anyway I think there is nothing cooler than a pair of Ray-Ban Wayfarers

I tend to favor American optical or Randolph Aviation glasses.
I guess it's a holdover from being in the military and being able to pick up flight glasses very cheaply. I also like the bayonet temples since I can get them on with my motorcyle helmet.
I have a pair of Ray Ban Aviators that I just plain wore out. I still have them but the plastic on the bridge and temples is falling off.

I've lost so many pairs of Maui Jim sunglasses that I haven't allowed myself to buy any more. They're really great, though.

Ray Ban prescription glasses, pilot style for me. I also have a matching pair that is regular lenses so that when I change glasses the comfort remains. I've been very lucky that the style has lasted for several years allowing me to replace the lenses when my prescription changes.

But I've never lost a pair of glasses. I don't see how you guys accomplish that. :confused2

Have always had a pair of Ray-Ban sunglasses since I was a freshman in HS.

That summer before I was a freshman was when the classic movie " The Blues Brothers " came out. I worked my butt off mowing yards just so I could purchase a pair of Wayfarers. I got a pair for $30 and wore them proudly. I have worn other sunglasses from time to time but always came back to the Wayfarers. I bought another pair of Wayfarers in 1996 when I was in Atlanta working the Olympics and I had left the original pair back home. I have purchased a few other different types of Ray-Bans over the years but always wore the Wayfarers whenever I could. But alas some relationships are destined to end. Last week after 30 years my original pair of were broken when some knucklehead drunk driver slammed into my car while it was parked. I had left the glasses in the space on the driver side door and that was where the jerk hit my car. Luckily no one was hurt, but this just sucks that this joker was driving on a suspended license, and did not have insurance. to top all this off this was his FIFTH DWI.:thumbdown

Anyway I think there is nothing cooler than a pair of Ray-Ban Wayfarers
:thumbup1:
never goes out of style.

Ray-Ban Wayfarers (Tortoise) and Clubmaster (Black) for me. I have a pair of Aviators too, a relic of what was approved for wear with military uniforms about thirty years ago. Other than that, I have a couple of pairs of Oakleys that I wear when I PT.

Top Bottom