What's new

Worst shaving kit ever!

This was my heinous shaving kit until I found this site.
proxy.php

Yes that is a clothes peg jammed into a Mach 3. I put my shaving gear in my checked baggage on a trip recently and was relieved of the handle by the TSA for reasons unknown. Though many curses and imprecations were called down on the head and other body parts of the TSA employee involved, he/she did me a favour because my extremely fast and minimalist shaving routine wasn't working for me anyway and I can't afford the blades. I rebelled at the notion of buying yet another proprietary handle.

A google search, some reading and shortly:
proxy.php

The razor is an EJ DE86. I was contemplating buying a Lord tech clone, but suspected it would be a false economy in the longer term so I accepted the opinion of the B&B members that this is quality for a reasonable price. I like it: I find the handle a bit slippy, but that encourages me to hold the razor at the knurled cap on the end of the handle which makes the weight of the razor do the work. I'm getting much better shaves without cutting the face off myself and I went straight to the Feathers, no messing about.

My other stuff is conveniently available for me at Trader Joe's or local pharmacy at affordable prices. I got the brush at the Body Shop and a puck of Williams. So far I'm bad at making a lather, but it's ok for first pass and second pass is using the TJ's shave cream.

I just had a little boy, my first kid, so economy is vital - none of these scented unguents oozed into ruby encrusted gold bowls warmed by the lit farts of circassian dancing girls and reverently daubed with baby unicorn tails that youse shower here at B&B go in for :wink2:.

So thanks for all the help! I still have a way to go with technique and so on but you've got me off to a decent start.

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B, and happy shaving!

Yes that is a clothes peg jammed into a Mach 3.

And we see that you're quite resourceful and creative. You'll fit in well here.

I'm nominating that contraption for a spot in the FrankenRazor Hall of Fame.

So thanks for all the help! I still have a way to go with technique and so on but you've got me off to a decent start.
For somebody just starting out, you've hit all the right stuff. There are no weak links in your starter kit, and the whole ensemble is such that it would be right at home in the den of any veteran wet-shaver.

Last edited:
PS: Don't throw away that can of Barbasol just yet. That is the one brand of GoopInACan that gets respect around here. You'll want to keep it around for traveling, and its a great thing to grab when you need a quick shave without the time to make lather from scratch.

I just had a little boy, my first kid, so economy is vital - none of these scented unguents oozed into ruby encrusted gold bowls warmed by the lit farts of circassian dancing girls and reverently daubed with baby unicorn tails that youse shower here at B&B go in for :wink2:.

Best quote yet! :thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Don't worry. Many shaving veterans can't even get decent lather with Williams.

Welcome to Badger and Blade!

Precisely.

I know economy is important to you. Do the following:

1) Go to WalMart.
2) Find the VDH Deluxe shaving soap.
3) Spend $1.54 on it.
4) Lather up the VDH instead of the Williams.
5) Use the Williams as a shower soap.

You can thank me later.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

That's something I would scared to use...

Welcome to B&B! I'm glad you found us and don't have to use your clothespin frankenrazor:scared: anymore! And don't pay too much attention to the Williams bashers around here. If you like it, go ahead and use it shamelessly! Although I would still suggest trying VDH, as well. I have both soaps and use them equally.

+1 on you having a great shave kit already. Just wait, these things have a way of multiplying!:biggrin1:

Go on-line and spring for the $2 stick of Arko. It lathers as well and as easily as any product made. It is the best deal in wet shaving. Otherwise, that's an outstanding set up that should last you for quite a while. Welcome to the group.

Welcome aboard!

I absolutely LOVE the TJ's shaving cream! I have the Honey-Mango but haven't used it for quite some time. Just FYI, I'm reasonably certain that it is a "brushless cream". I.e. what lather that you CAN build doesn't really last, it just sort of collapses, so don't get frustrated by that. But, that having been said, I get amazing shaves from it.

Cheers!
-Greg

The TJ's cream is brushless, I'm impressed with it but it's hard to see where I have shaved already with it. TJ's have a nice and cheap range of deodorants and soap, paraben and aluminum free and all that jazz, and keep me well stocked in my campaign to replace sleep with coffee.

This is actually version 2 of the clothespin frankenrazor, it's first iteration retaining the metal spring and therefore prone to flying apart mid stroke. Only recommended for those owning safety goggles and seeking a more suspenseful shave.

The TJ's cream is brushless, I'm impressed with it but it's hard to see where I have shaved already with it. TJ's have a nice and cheap range of deodorants and soap, paraben and aluminum free and all that jazz, and keep me well stocked in my campaign to replace sleep with coffee.

This is actually version 2 of the clothespin frankenrazor, it's first iteration retaining the metal spring and therefore prone to flying apart mid stroke. Only recommended for those owning safety goggles and seeking a more suspenseful shave.

Wow, has to be amongst the strangest razors I have seen. Good work. !f it is your second try, why didn't you add more clothes pins to go with the extra blades? :clap:

Top Bottom