What's new

Post Your Pictures: Swedish Steel

So.... not to feed any SRAD, but I shaved with a Filly Novodur the previous night and was much more impressed with the Neiström last night. :w00t:
No wonder you liked it.
Mr Neiström is actually mentioned in a couple of books about Eskilstuna's metal industry.
The reason he is mentioned is that his company was basically himself.

The story has it that in 1917 Edvin Neiström borrowed some money & rented a forge. He wanted to do the best razors known to man.
Since there all ready was an abundance of forges, turning out some pretty impressive razors, he had a hard time to get anyone to sponsor him.
He also had a hard time selling his razors, or they sold, but not in any bigger quantities, because the competition back then in Eskilstuna was pretty stiff to say the least...
So he kept on struggling by himself, making everything on each razor by himself. With a minimal budget & only the most necessary tools.
When his son got old enough to help out, he started in the company & when Neiström's sales peaked in the 30's he could afford to hire another guy.
But that was it, his razors never got the reputation he wanted or the sales he needed.
After Edvin died his son kept on making razors under his fathers name.
The company folded as late as 1970.

I've tried a few Neiström & they sure are sweet shavers.
But I can't say that they beat Heljestrands, Bergs or Söderén either.

But it's a cool story of a man having a dream & following it.
The thing I find the most intriguing is that there is no records what so ever of were he learned to make razors. No mentioning anywhere of an apprentice-ship at a bigger forge or anything.

No wonder you liked it.
Mr Neiström is actually mentioned in a couple of books about Eskilstuna's metal industry.
The reason he is mentioned is that his company was basically himself.

The story has it that in 1917 Edvin Neiström borrowed some money & rented a forge. He wanted to do the best razors known to man.
Since there all ready was an abundance of forges, turning out some pretty impressive razors, he had a hard time to get anyone to sponsor him.
He also had a hard time selling his razors, or they sold, but not in any bigger quantities, because the competition back then in Eskilstuna was pretty stiff to say the least...
So he kept on struggling by himself, making everything on each razor by himself. With a minimal budget & only the most necessary tools.
When his son got old enough to help out, he started in the company & when Neiström's sales peaked in the 30's he could afford to hire another guy.
But that was it, his razors never got the reputation he wanted or the sales he needed.
After Edvin died his son kept on making razors under his fathers name.
The company folded as late as 1970.

I've tried a few Neiström & they sure are sweet shavers.
But I can't say that they beat Heljestrands, Bergs or Söderén either.

But it's a cool story of a man having a dream & following it.
The thing I find the most intriguing is that there is no records what so ever of were he learned to make razors. No mentioning anywhere of an apprentice-ship at a bigger forge or anything.

Interesting to say the least. I would love to find one in the 13/16-7/8 range, but that is probably a pipe dream.

Personally I think swedish steel may in fact be my favorite of all vintages. It just amazes me with as much praise as Filly's get, there are so many ones out there that shave equally or better.

Interesting to say the least. I would love to find one in the 13/16-7/8 range, but that is probably a pipe dream.

Almost all Neiströms I've seen are just that model you have.
But you never know what lies hidden..

Personally I think swedish steel may in fact be my favorite of all vintages. It just amazes me with as much praise as Filly's get, there are so many ones out there that shave equally or better.

Now that is crazy talk Son! We all know that vintage Swedes are worthless pieces of rotten steel.
You go spend the big bucks on those 'ol Fillys & Globusmen & I'll drop a little change to get yet another, disastrous Eskilstuna razor.

(beware of the hype) :tongue_sm

Almost all Neiströms I've seen are just that model you have.
But you never know what lies hidden..

Now that is crazy talk Son! We all know that vintage Swedes are worthless pieces of rotten steel.
You go spend the big bucks on those 'ol Fillys & Globusmen & I'll drop a little change to get yet another, disastrous Eskilstuna razor.

(beware of the hype) :tongue_sm

I did manage to find that 15/16 EAB so you never know.

And I've already spent my big bucks on those stupid Filly's and Globusmen's :tongue_sm
Though I would love to drop little change for an MK33....

I did manage to find that 15/16 EAB so you never know.

And I've already spent my big bucks on those stupid Filly's and Globusmen's :tongue_sm
Though I would love to drop little change for an MK33....
1425 SEK for the last one I've seen for sale. LINK
That is today 228 USD.
Not very expensive for a razor that will probably out-shave whatever you put it up against :001_cool:

1425 SEK for the last one I've seen for sale. LINK
That is today 228 USD.
Not very expensive for a razor that will probably out-shave whatever you put it up against :001_cool:

I actually was watching that one and it went a lot lower than I thought it would. Too bad us US member's can't register on Tradera.

proxy.php
[/IMG]

Here is my latest aquisition: C.V. Heljestrand 5/8 full hollow NOS which was available in a brick and mortar shop in the coastal town of Helsingborg in Sweden. It carries no number or M&K except on the box but bears the name "Kloster" in capital letters on the back side of the tang. The factory edge just needed some CrOx stropping followed by the usual leather regime and then it was shave ready. Up till now I have had two very comfortable shaves from it.

Heljestrand No.6 Very nice razor indeed
I love the MK#6 too. Fantastic shaver!

Here is my latest aquisition: C.V. Heljestrand 5/8 full hollow NOS which was available in a brick and mortar shop in the coastal town of Helsingborg in Sweden. It carries no number or M&K except on the box but bears the name "Kloster" in capital letters on the back side of the tang. The factory edge just needed some CrOx stropping followed by the usual leather regime and then it was shave ready. Up till now I have had two very comfortable shaves from it.
That is a nice haul!
The "Kloster" still eludes me I'm afraid.

More custom scales Jens? You do very nice work!
Henry,
Getting feedback like that from a man of your exquisite taste, is quite humbling.
Thanks! :blush:

Here's a pic that does this razor a little bit more justice:
proxy.php

Here is one of my best Swedish razors: The MK134 :biggrin1:, 8/8 full hollow, a real masterpiece IMHO. It's so big but it's so easy to shave with...I really like her!

Attachments

• $MK134 001.jpg
    $MK134 001.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 308
Top Bottom