What's new

New Brush Advice

For the past few weeks I have been thinking about buying a new shaving brush but, just as it was when I bought my first one, I have no idea what to buy. Since I was steered in the right direction with my first brush purchase here on B&B I figured I would try to solicit some more advice.

For the past two years I have been using and Edwin Jagger Best Badger Brush and it has been a pretty good brush. I use creams only, mostly Proraso and Spieck, and am looking for something that will whip up lather just a little better. I don't want a really big brush or a really small brush, something in between would be ideal. My budget for this brush is $50 - $100. I've been looking at Simpson brushes as I have heard good things about them, but am not set on that brand. Any advice B&B could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Have you considered a boar brush? I've used a Semogue SOC to face lather several creams and it works great. I like my silvertips also, but for the price (and change of pace) the SOC is wonderful. :thumbup1:

I am a true Shavemac fan! Their silvertip brushes are second to none in my opinion! I have a 177 25mm and I could never give it up. :001_smile

I also use only creams. I've been using a Rooney 3/1 Super Badger for the past year and think it's a great brush. It's $75 at vintageblades. But I also had the urge to try something and just ordered a Simpson Colonel in Best.

I also use only creams. I've been using a Rooney 3/1 Super Badger for the past year and think it's a great brush. It's $75 at vintageblades. But I also had the urge to try something and just ordered a Simpson Colonel in Best.

The Simpson Colonel is excellent too as I have one of those. Personally, I lean towards the soft, luxurious feel of a silvertip, but I do use my Colonel quite often in my rotation. Great brush!!! And versatile!

I'm a Shavemac guy so I'd recommend a Silvertip Shavemac. You can have the brush customized loft height/shape, handle colour, knot size etc for about $100 and you won't need another brush!

You could also ask Rudy Vey if he'll do you a custom brush using one of the TGN knots, although i don't know what his prices are.

+1 For the Rooney 3/1 style.

I have one in Genuine Silvertip (the next grade down) which I got from Classic Shaving for $65 (plus shipping). Outstanding all-arounder.

Top Bottom