What's new

Cleaning your DE blades?

There is a wealth of information out there (Mantic's videos have been very helpful) about keeping your razor clean. Howevever, I haven't seen much about the blades themselves. After every shave, I usually have a buildup of residue on the edges of the blades and I was wondering whether I could simply wash this off under hot water without dulling the blades.

There is a wealth of information out there (Mantic's videos have been very helpful) about keeping your razor clean. Howevever, I haven't seen much about the blades themselves. After every shave, I usually have a buildup of residue on the edges of the blades and I was wondering whether I could simply wash this off under hot water without dulling the blades.

I doubt your hot water is at a sufficient temperature to make any permanent changes to the composition of the blade :) As you said, a hot water rinse will suffice. If you really feel like going the distance then dip it in some denatured alcohol or something along those lines afterwards then proceed to store etc.

As for me, I usually just rinse the razor / blade then dab (not wipe) the blade dry with a towel.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Very Hot water rinse and shake excess off. The heat will help evaporate any remaining water.

Some folks dip in alcohol to displace water, but just in my personal opinion, even that is over kill.

On the other hand look what a simple stream of water did to the grand canyon:lol:
without question over time it will dull the blade and wear the plateing off the razor:001_tt2:

I'm all for the hot water rinse & shake MO. It should do a sufficient job.

If you're getting lots of hard build up/residue on the blade, perhaps your cream is a little too dry / thick?

you're getting lots of hard build up/residue on the blade, perhaps your cream is a little too dry / thick?
Yeah, this is one of the problems of using The Real Shaving Co. It has a very thick/concentrated formula.

Top Bottom