Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: Chinese Fountain Pen Ink Will Not Flow

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,083
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images
    11

    Default Chinese Fountain Pen Ink Will Not Flow

    I have bought three Chinese fountain pens recently on EBay. The ink will not pull up into the converter from the nib or flow down from the converter to the nib for two of them. The seller is sending me replacement pens in each case, after I paid another $1.50 for insurancce, supposedly because he though the nib might have been cracked in shipping.

    Not sure that makes any sense to me, anyway, and no sign of damage in shipping.

    Anyone have any similar issues or have any ideas as to what might be wrong with the pens?

    Also of some concern is that the seller seems to be the same in each case, but is using two different names. The feedback ratings are pretty high, with lots of sales under each. The price sure seems right, if the ink would flow!

    These are pens selling for around $1.00 a piece, with around $9.00 shipping. They are heavy and really quite good looking and are not that I know of stealing US designs such as the cheaper Heros do. The one that works writes nicely.

    I think one of the pens that does not work is a Hero in a Confucius commemerative design. The other is a B351 HUASHILAI, supposedly, in an acrylic colorful barrel design. Both, as I say, very pretty and quite heavy. A pleasure to hold in one's hand.

    I have excellent vintage Waterman and Schaeffer fountain pens to use if I am actually doing extenive writing, which is not very often these days. I am not looking for a great pen in these Chinese versions.

    I do like the idea of having a nice, good looking heavy broad tip fountain pens to carry around without worry about losing them or anything. Also, it seems like it would be fun if someone admired one of these pens to be able to just give them the pen!

    Also, I like having pens loaded with a bunch of different inks, ready to use.

    So they would fit the bill for what I want, if ink would actually flow and if they write nearly as well as the one pen that works!

    I have a bunch of the cheap Heros, the 616s or whatever, they are nice for having a lot of different inks available. But they seem to tend to leak when one carried them around, and the caps slide off and the like. Also too thin a nib and way too light in weight for my preferences. I do not think that that anyone is going to confuse them for a real Parker 51, so I am not too concerned about infringement!
    Last edited by The Knize; 11-22-2010 at 10:18 AM.
    Rob

    I'm not the kind to use a pencil or rule
    I'm handy with love and I'm no fool

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    3,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images
    5

    Default

    Can't help you much with the other pen, but for a P51 clone that won't break the bank, check out the hero 100, much better built than the 616. Thicker and heavier. Having said that, I really like the 616 for a cheap throw around pen.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    21,244
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Images
    1766

    Default

    Chinese pens are hit or miss. I have used Hero pens that worked flawlessly and I have also bought Heros that don't write well. You get what you pay for.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,707
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images
    20

    Default

    i have the hero 616, 100, and 329. i'm liking the line from the 100 a little better than the 329. i almost never use the 616... the 329 seemed better to me.
    three people can keep a secret if two of them are dead.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Like pretty much everything else, you get what you pay for.
    I use Parker 45's as throwaround, everyday pens and a Cross Townsend as 'best'.
    Whippersnapper of J3 Vintage

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
    Posts
    17,998
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Images
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superbleu View Post
    Can't help you much with the other pen, but for a P51 clone that won't break the bank, check out the hero 100, much better built than the 616. Thicker and heavier. Having said that, I really like the 616 for a cheap throw around pen.
    +1 to everything he said. My Hero 100 lives on my desk at home and is about the only pen I use, even though there are a bunch of real Parker 51's in a box just near it. I like the really fine line it gives. I have some 616's at work, they are OK for the cost but I pretty much consider them disposable. The 100 is a keeper.
    -David

    Australia? Visit the Great Southern Land!

    WWHLD?

    Wake me up when Laphroaig releases an aftershave.
    Need help? PM a Mod!


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    6,057
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Do a soak of 1part ammonia and 10 parts water. Often it may be some grease or something from the factory clogging things up.

    Have you tried different inks? If you're using Noodler's it may be too saturated to use. May need to put a few drops of water in there, which will lighten the color too.

    Search the bay, get a Pilot 78G. Shipped for $10. Get a B nib. One of my best and most favorite writing pens I own. If you want a classier version get a Prera. They're fat, not my thing. And, they're around $40ish. Seriously, Pilot 78G. I'd send you one myself, but can't pry it from my hands.

    Have you burped the pens? Do they have the standard twist up converters? If they do, remove the converter, fill it with ink. Turn pen nib up, twist converter to move ink into feeder and nib. You will see ink come out of nib area (bubble). Back the twist the other way and you should be in business.

    Many ebay sellers from China have multiple names, yet are the same business/ person.
    Last edited by rickboone1; 11-22-2010 at 05:38 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,083
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images
    11
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Chinese pens are hit or miss. I have used Hero pens that worked flawlessly and I have also bought Heros that don't write well. You get what you pay for.
    I will try the soak in ammonia to see if it is grease or similar. Coverter is typcal screw converter. When I screw it down ink seems to come out above or at the top of the nib. I have used various inks, including but not limited to Noodler's. Either something is clogginng the path to the tip of the nib or that path was not established or properly established in the first instance, as far as I can tell!

    I am guessing that both of these would write fine, if any ink were getting to the tip of the nib. They write fine as dip pens!

    <You get what you pay for.>

    Yes and no. If it worked at all but wrote poorly, I would not complain too much. The fact that it does not work at all and no ink is getting to the tip is beyond "getting what I paid for." I do not think the seller or anyone else would consider that I was buying a pen that I could put ink into, but where the ink would no go anywhere from the reservoir!

    Like I said in the original post, I have good fountain pens, and I know what they are like, and I adore them. I realize I am not getting top quality here and I am willing to put up with some hassle, but not with the ink not reaching the end of the nib!
    Rob

    I'm not the kind to use a pencil or rule
    I'm handy with love and I'm no fool

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    421
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Images
    2

    Default

    I second rickboone1's post, I have that same Confucius pen and the converter, as supplied, was ok but it didn't want to draw ink up (I think it was clogged). I did that trick and it was better. The alternative was to fill the converter directly or use it as a cartridge pen (caveat: I own non-Chinese fountain pens as well, including Yard-O-Led and Caran d'Ache and others). I have since replaced that converter with an aerometric mini-converter (I got that off E-bay).

    I did find that Confucius pen is an ink hog though (perhaps symbolic of an academic/philosopher type like Confucius and men like myself who ... are loquacious. ). You will end up refilling it often but it does work nicely once you get it going.

    I have some good Chinese pens, though. Duke is a good Chinese manufacturer and my Hero 616 is a little scratchy but good enough (I use it for marking).
    Michael

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    21,244
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Images
    1766

    Default

    Robbie, if you are looking for a good writing throw away f-pen, I would suggest Kaweco pens. The sport is only $15. I carry these in my jean pockets when I wear polo shirts.

    http://isellpens.com/kaweco.html

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    6,057
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Let them soak for a good day or so. Don't put the barrel or converter in the solution. Just the nib, feed and section; unless you can separate them, then the section need not go in.

    It's weird that you're getting ink up to the nib though. Sounds like a clog in the feed. I will bet the solution works wonders for you. Either that or the nib is somehow clogged. Be it some tiny debris or some sort of wax coating.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,083
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images
    11
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Robbie, if you are looking for a good writing throw away f-pen, I would suggest Kaweco pens. The sport is only $15. I carry these in my jean pockets when I wear polo shirts.

    http://isellpens.com/kaweco.html
    Thanks. I like it. I like that color green. Can you convert to an ink dropper pen?


    Quote Originally Posted by MichaeltheRomanHistorian View Post
    I second rickboone1's post, I have that same Confucius pen and the converter, as supplied, was ok but it didn't want to draw ink up (I think it was clogged). I did that trick and it was better. The alternative was to fill the converter directly or use it as a cartridge pen (caveat: I own non-Chinese fountain pens as well, including Yard-O-Led and Caran d'Ache and others). I have since replaced that converter with an aerometric mini-converter (I got that off E-bay).

    I did find that Confucius pen is an ink hog though (perhaps symbolic of an academic/philosopher type like Confucius and men like myself who ... are loquacious. ). You will end up refilling it often but it does work nicely once you get it going.

    I have some good Chinese pens, though. Duke is a good Chinese manufacturer and my Hero 616 is a little scratchy but good enough (I use it for marking).
    I do not mind filling the converter directly, but ink is still not getting to the end of the nib. I do not mind it being thirsty either! What is the advantage of the aeromatic mini-converter over what it came with? larger capacity?

    Thanks for all of th help everyone. Good stuff!
    Rob

    I'm not the kind to use a pencil or rule
    I'm handy with love and I'm no fool

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    6,057
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I like those Kaweco's too! Dang it. I doubt you can make these eye droppers. Wait, no. no.... actually looking more at the photos, I'd bet you could. Wish pics would enlarge, but they don't. Probably the Same way you would a Preppy. I'm not a fan of eyedroppers, but to each their own. Unless there's a vent hole at the top of the barrel you probably could.

    Why? The o ring gets in the way of my grip and annoys me. I get tired of that ink color before I use it all up.

    I'd have to go with the white Broad nib.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,083
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images
    11
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rickboone1 View Post
    I like those Kaweco's too! Dang it. I doubt you can make these eye droppers. Wait, no. no.... actually looking more at the photos, I'd bet you could. Wish pics would enlarge, but they don't. Probably the Same way you would a Preppy. I'm not a fan of eyedroppers, but to each their own. Unless there's a vent hole at the top of the barrel you probably could.

    Why? The o ring gets in the way of my grip and annoys me. I get tired of that ink color before I use it all up.

    I'd have to go with the white Broad nib.
    I find some marine expoxy will generally fill in any vent holes!
    Rob

    I'm not the kind to use a pencil or rule
    I'm handy with love and I'm no fool

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    421
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Images
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Knize View Post
    Thanks. I like it. I like that color green. Can you convert to an ink dropper pen?




    I do not mind filling the converter directly, but ink is still not getting to the end of the nib. I do not mind it being thirsty either! What is the advantage of the aeromatic mini-converter over what it came with? larger capacity?

    Thanks for all of th help everyone. Good stuff!
    Hi The Knize,

    No advantage, it's actually got less capacity due to its size (about half the size or so of the original converter) but I needed the original converter for another pen and had this one laying around (I had bought a 4 pack on E-bay and only needed one for my pocket Victorian from Yard-O-Led) and I found it did pick up the ink a bit more easily than the one it came with.

    I can't help but wonder now if something wasn't stuck in the little tube where you connect the converter. Perhaps it's a blockage there that's the main problem (we'll have to figure out if the soak in ammonia does the trick). If something else is blocking it then I have no clue. I had a similar problem, something was half blocking that little tube so I took a heated sewing needle and sort of plunged it through (probably inadvisable but I was curious). Unless you're happy with it as a dip pen then you may have to return it if we can't figure this out. :( It's a gorgeous pen, though.

    With regard to the Kawecos, I know some guys over on a fountain pen forum I'm on have converted them to eye-droppers (I converted an old Sheaffer cartridge to an eye-dropper with the application of some silicon grease on the threads of the main body and no O-ring).
    Michael

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    6,057
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I wonder why we are saying "you get what you pay for"? Does this mean that a $4 Fusion blade will shave better over a .15 cent DE blade?

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaeltheRomanHistorian View Post
    Hi The Knize,

    No advantage, it's actually got less capacity due to its size (about half the size or so of the original converter) but I needed the original converter for another pen and had this one laying around (I had bought a 4 pack on E-bay and only needed one for my pocket Victorian from Yard-O-Led) and I found it did pick up the ink a bit more easily than the one it came with.

    I can't help but wonder now if something wasn't stuck in the little tube where you connect the converter. Perhaps it's a blockage there that's the main problem (we'll have to figure out if the soak in ammonia does the trick). If something else is blocking it then I have no clue. I had a similar problem, something was half blocking that little tube so I took a heated sewing needle and sort of plunged it through (probably inadvisable but I was curious). Unless you're happy with it as a dip pen then you may have to return it if we can't figure this out. :( It's a gorgeous pen, though.

    With regard to the Kawecos, I know some guys over on a fountain pen forum I'm on have converted them to eye-droppers (I converted an old Sheaffer cartridge to an eye-dropper with the application of some silicon grease on the threads of the main body and no O-ring).
    Michael, if you are to heat up the needle will it not possibly melt the little tube or stretch it out, thus causing too much flow?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,083
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images
    11
    Thread Starter

    Default

    A new pen just arrived from the Chinese seller. Seems to work perfectly right out of the box! Really good looking and feeling pen. Probably a bit of feathering, and bleed through of ink. I bet it will be a thirsty pen. Very smooth writer, though. Nice broad nib--probably not as broad as a European broad nib would be though. When the cap is put on the barrel opposite the nib, it seems a little insecure, but the cap seems very tight and secure when on the nib end.

    Hard to believe they can make, sell on EBay through PayPal, and ship to the States an instrument like this, for, what, $9.00? And if I can get the other nib working I will have two of these for $10.50. In any event I sure have an extra barrel, cap, and converter, even if the nib never works for that price!

    I do not see how American labor and business is ever going to be able to compete with this, but I selfishly am pretty content with the deal!
    Rob

    I'm not the kind to use a pencil or rule
    I'm handy with love and I'm no fool

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    6,057
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Knize View Post
    A new pen just arrived from the Chinese seller. Seems to work perfectly right out of the box! Really good looking and feeling pen. Probably a bit of feathering, and bleed through of ink. I bet it will be a thirsty pen. Very smooth writer, though. Nice broad nib--probably not as broad as a European broad nib would be though. When the cap is put on the barrel opposite the nib, it seems a little insecure, but the cap seems very tight and secure when on the nib end.

    Hard to believe they can make, sell on EBay through PayPal, and ship to the States an instrument like this, for, what, $9.00? And if I can get the other nib working I will have two of these for $10.50. In any event I sure have an extra barrel, cap, and converter, even if the nib never works for that price!

    I do not see how American labor and business is ever going to be able to compete with this, but I selfishly am pretty content with the deal!
    Feathering may just be your paper choice. Or, you may be able to adjust the nib tines a titch and reduce some ink flow, thus reducing feathering. Glad it worked well for you. I want to get that other one working. Sounds like a great seller you participated with.

    I like Chinese things. Some. Food especially. I think we get bad connotations of Chinese made products what with the dollar store-break in a minute-items. That, and the recalls for using lead based paint, etc. But, that's another topic entirely. Importantly, you got a working pen now.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,083
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images
    11
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rickboone1 View Post
    Feathering may just be your paper choice. Or, you may be able to adjust the nib tines a titch and reduce some ink flow, thus reducing feathering. Glad it worked well for you. I want to get that other one working. Sounds like a great seller you participated with.

    I like Chinese things. Some. Food especially. I think we get bad connotations of Chinese made products what with the dollar store-break in a minute-items. That, and the recalls for using lead based paint, etc. But, that's another topic entirely. Importantly, you got a working pen now.
    <I want to get that other one working. >

    More in a separate PM, but you will have your chance! The original pen is on its way to you as I write this!!

    I like the big flow of ink so far. You are probably correct that the feathering is more paper than nib. I could probably choose a different ink, too, and get less feathering. It is not actually bad or anything! I just know what I am seeing!

    Again, I am not saying this is a great fountain pen. I own quite good if not quite excellent fountain pens, and they are truly at a completely different level. But I am impressed with the seller, and I am having fun with the pen. And I will not cry is some ink I am playing around with or other clogs it up!

    I truly enjoy fountain pens and, especially recently for some reasons, inks!
    Rob

    I'm not the kind to use a pencil or rule
    I'm handy with love and I'm no fool

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    6,057
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Knize View Post
    <I want to get that other one working. >

    More in a separate PM, but you will have your chance! The original pen is on its way to you as I write this!!

    I like the big flow of ink so far. You are probably correct that the feathering is more paper than nib. I could probably choose a different ink, too, and get less feathering. It is not actually bad or anything! I just know what I am seeing!

    Again, I am not saying this is a great fountain pen. I own quite good if not quite excellent fountain pens, and they are truly at a completely different level. But I am impressed with the seller, and I am having fun with the pen. And I will not cry is some ink I am playing around with or other clogs it up!

    I truly enjoy fountain pens and, especially recently for some reasons, inks!
    I imagine for work you have certain stationary. Other than that, do you have a paper choice? Hey, if ink does clog it, it can be salvaged rather easily with a soak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Converters . . . and ink flow.
    By Alacrity59 in forum The Nib
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-02-2011, 06:36 PM
  2. Flow-through frustrations
    By roboboticus in forum Shaving Brushes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-26-2010, 01:47 PM
  3. Chinese Fountain Pens
    By pal in forum The Speakeasy
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-09-2009, 02:13 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.