What's new

Back to the gym today

I'm just coming off a prolonged layoff from my PT routine. About three weeks ago, I was hit by a terrible bout of food poisoning while I was traveling in Japan. I wound up on a rough cycle of antibiotics and I was out of it for about a week. The trip home was pretty difficult too, and it's taken me a while to get back on my feet. I was working out quite hard for the four months leading up to this, and the layoff has been tough. Now I'm finally feeling well enough to get back to the gym. I've lost a lot of weight, so I'm not going to get in there and try to pick up where I left off. Still, I'm excited to get at it again.

Well, I made it through my workout without keeling over. I started off with a moderate 20 minutes on a new Precor machine at my gym--kind of a hybrid of an elliptical trainer and a stairclimber. After that, I did three circuits of the plate-loading Hammer machines. Next week, I'll get back to Oly lifting, but I wanted to take some time to get myself moving again. Finished up with abs. I feel much better than I expected.

You're right. After a week of plugging away, I think my strength is just about where it was before. To my surprise, my upper body is filling out pretty quickly too. The one real casualty is endurance. I hit the kettlebells yesterday and just about keeled over. Gotta keep at it.

Yuppers. The biggest difficulty is getting the CNS back to moving heavy stuff. Once your CNS wakes up again you'll be back 100%.

I have the same problem after a big deload. Endurance, volume and strength take a big hit for a couple weeks.

You'll pick it up again quickly. Just focus on perfect form and don't hurt yourself. After a week or two of consistent working out, you'll be back as good as ever!

Top Bottom