What's new

pizza pie

pizza pie? what the?
i thought a pizza was this?
proxy.php

and a pie was this?
proxy.php

what do other parts of the world call it all? the hamburger / sandwich thing throws me too

I don't think it's uncommon to hear people refer to a pizza as a pie. There might be some regional basis to this, but I've heard it all over. I think that it has more to do with categorizing things by shapes. Both are generally round and sold or served as wedges cut from the whole.

No, the word for a sweet pie in Italian is torta. A savory one would be pasticcio. Pizza IS pizza. Although there are a LOT of styles of Pizza, the word refers to some sort of round flat dough baked in an oven with some sort of topping. The only exception is Chicago style or Greek Style pizza which usually has a lighter crust and is baked in a pan. In the US, its pretty common to refer to Pizza as "pie". I've never lived in NY, but from what I understand, when you talk about "pie" people will probably assume you are talking about Pizza, not a sweet dessert with a delicate buttery crust baked in a dish usually consisting of a fruit base.

No, the word for a sweet pie in Italian is torta. A savory one would be pasticcio. Pizza IS pizza. Although there are a LOT of styles of Pizza, the word refers to some sort of round flat dough baked in an oven with some sort of topping. The only exception is Chicago style or Greek Style pizza which usually has a lighter crust and is baked in a pan. In the US, its pretty common to refer to Pizza as "pie". I've never lived in NY, but from what I understand, when you talk about "pie" people will probably assume you are talking about Pizza, not a sweet dessert with a delicate buttery crust baked in a dish usually consisting of a fruit base.

:thumbup1:

For some reason many on line sources think Pizza means pie - but in my Italian family the word for pie as torta.

Top Bottom