What's new

Short and slow or long and slow drags?

I like to take long and slog drags with the razor but I was wondering what is better, short and slow or long and slow???

With long drags you can maintain a proper angle better and there is less over lap of strokes which means less irritation. IMHO

With long drags you can maintain a proper angle better and there is less over lap of strokes which means less irritation. IMHO

+1 makes perfect scence to me. i've used long slow strokes from the begining and it seems to work well as always YMMV

completely disagree. There's virtually no place on your face where you can do a "long drag" that the angle shouldn't change somewhat, because you have no flat planes that are long on your face. Long drag strokes are fine, but you need to be aware that while you are doing these long strokes, you should be fine-tuning your angle as you go. Otherwise you will have an improper angle for part of the stroke.

That has been the basis for the newbie recommendation of short strokes.

I vary with the terrain. Short strokes in the chin, upper lip, lower lip, adams apple, corner of mouth and jaw line areas. Medium to long strokes everywhere else.

Unless I'm using an aggressive razor, then short strokes everywhere.

-jim

Completely agree with long, slow strokes, contrary to the shaving videos I've seen. Yes, the blade angle needs to be adjusted ever so slightly along the way, of course. But those adjustments are easier and less drastic than they would be if you were removing the blade from your skin after each of numerous short strokes.

Is there an option for short and very fast?

I call it the dog scratch!!! :scared:

:lol::lol::lol: I was just starting to forget that horror movie!

Slow short strokes above the jawline, slow long strokes below. If I try short strokes on my neck for some unexplained reason I catch myself "chopping". Which gets me nothing but irritation and ingrowns.

completely disagree. There's virtually no place on your face where you can do a "long drag" that the angle shouldn't change somewhat, because you have no flat planes that are long on your face. Long drag strokes are fine, but you need to be aware that while you are doing these long strokes, you should be fine-tuning your angle as you go. Otherwise you will have an improper angle for part of the stroke.

That has been the basis for the newbie recommendation of short strokes.

I vary with the terrain. Short strokes in the chin, upper lip, lower lip, adams apple, corner of mouth and jaw line areas. Medium to long strokes everywhere else.

Unless I'm using an aggressive razor, then short strokes everywhere.

-jim

Both of these gents together have it right. THe strokes can vary depending on what part of the face it is. The speed of the stroke can also vary. For me, a faster stroke makes for a closer shave. The speed needs to be fast enough for the blade to cut through the hair instead of dragging over it. And as always, YMMV.

Top Bottom