What's new

Maxim just got Naguras back in stock.

Would any of those be useful for as a finisher.
Forgive a J-nat n00b, but koma is finest right?
And koma isn't available. Are any of the other three fine enough?

At that price I was thinking that if any of these are good for final finish,
I could try it out on my Honyama Quarry stone from Dick & see what happens.
no nagura is good for a finisher, they are used as a progression before the final finisher.

no nagura is good for a finisher, they are used as a progression before the final finisher.
Ok!

I thought that slurry could be used for finishing.
But maybe that is slurry from the same stone, like if you rub the stone with a DMT or similar.

I used my honyama as a "Nagura" on my better Jnat stone before going to my Tomo Nagura seen here:
(http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.y...omo-nagura-natural-whetstone-322g-322115.html)

I'm buying a Karasu Tomo Nagura (just because it looks EXACTLY like my big stone and I think it'll be real neat to have a visually matching slurry stone (though I realize it doesn't mean it will match my stone any better than what I'm currently using necessarily) and a Mejiro Nagura to use where I'm using the honyama now.

I've been going 1.2k DMT -> 330mate stone (~7k JIS feel and very fast) -> My Karasu slurried with the Honyama stone -> My Karasu slurried with the asagi Tomo Nagura

When the new naguras get here I'm going to try:

1.2k DMT -> 8k DMT -> 6k King -> 10k Sigma Power -> My Karasu slurried with Mejiro -> My Karasu slurried with the Karasu Tomo Nagura. I'll see how that works out and adapt from there.

That said, I don't think that Nagura stones are meant to reduce the grit of your stone (though eBay sellers seem to like to give you that impression), but quite the opposite. As I understand it, the idea is to start with a very hard and fine stone, then slurry it with Nagura's to let it perform the job of a coarser stone due to the coarser particles from the Nagura making up the slurry, much like you would slurry a Coticule to make it cut faster thanks to the freed Garnets cutting faster than embedded ones would.

Here's the Tomo Nagura I'm getting: http://www.japanesenaturalstones.co...category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=73

I
That said, I don't think that Nagura stones are meant to reduce the grit of your stone (though eBay sellers seem to like to give you that impression), but quite the opposite. As I understand it, the idea is to start with a very hard and fine stone, then slurry it with Nagura's to let it perform the job of a coarser stone due to the coarser particles from the Nagura making up the slurry, much like you would slurry a Coticule to make it cut faster thanks to the freed Garnets cutting faster than embedded ones would.

Exactly how it works.

I used my honyama as a "Nagura" on my better Jnat stone before going to my Tomo Nagura seen here:
(http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.y...omo-nagura-natural-whetstone-322g-322115.html)

I'm buying a Karasu Tomo Nagura (just because it looks EXACTLY like my big stone and I think it'll be real neat to have a visually matching slurry stone (though I realize it doesn't mean it will match my stone any better than what I'm currently using necessarily) and a Mejiro Nagura to use where I'm using the honyama now.

I've been going 1.2k DMT -> 330mate stone (~7k JIS feel and very fast) -> My Karasu slurried with the Honyama stone -> My Karasu slurried with the asagi Tomo Nagura

When the new naguras get here I'm going to try:

1.2k DMT -> 8k DMT -> 6k King -> 10k Sigma Power -> My Karasu slurried with Mejiro -> My Karasu slurried with the Karasu Tomo Nagura. I'll see how that works out and adapt from there.

Here's the Tomo Nagura I'm getting: http://www.japanesenaturalstones.co...category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=73

Exactly how it works.

I learned something right here, thanks!

Interesting to read how ya'll are using nagura. Lately I've been setting the bevel on a DMT, moving onto a slurried Aoto and then onto the Awaseto du jour with a progression of nagura (Botan, Tenjou and/or Mejiro) followed by a Hozan slurry. Getting superior results.

I don't have an Aoto but I use the same progression you do with no actual Hozan, just a DMT stone and a lot of water for raising slurry. Brotha.....it's killa:wink2:

I've been wanting an Aoto but they seem to be hard to find in decent shape but I do want to try Amakusa to screw around with.

The more I learn more about all this, the more I am slowly beginning to realize that there are some great stones out there with really good finess/smoothness, hardness, and cutting speed characteristics that aren't always from the 'best' mine or the deepest strata. There has to be a lot of variability even within the 'best' production areas, and not all 'pedigreed' stones 'have it'.

It sure helps to have a knowlegeable and reliable vendor who will work with you in testing and return, if necessary.

Last edited:
The more I learn more about all this, the more I am slowly beginning to realize that there are some great stones out there with really good finess/smoothness, hardness, and cutting speed characteristics that aren't always from the 'best' mine or the deepest strata. There has to be a lot of variability even within the 'best' production areas, and not all 'pedigreed' stones 'have it'.

It sure helps to have a knowlegeable and reliable vendor who will work with you in testing and return, if necessary.

That couldn't be more true.

I don't have an Aoto but I use the same progression you do with no actual Hozan, just a DMT stone and a lot of water for raising slurry. Brotha.....it's killa:wink2:

I've been wanting an Aoto but they seem to be hard to find in decent shape but I do want to try Amakusa to screw around with.
I got a Blue Mountain Aoto from Japan Woodworker. It is one of my favorite hones. Relatively low grit yet it does its job very, very well.

Interesting to read how ya'll are using nagura. Lately I've been setting the bevel on a DMT, moving onto a slurried Aoto and then onto the Awaseto du jour with a progression of nagura (Botan, Tenjou and/or Mejiro) followed by a Hozan slurry. Getting superior results.

I have been, recently, setting bevels on my Aoto w/slurry, then progressing through botan, mejiro and honzan, on the Nakayama maruka asagi.
Great results, though bevel setting is slow on the Aoto...but, im never in a rush in honing so it works fine for me.

Mac

That couldn't be more true.

I got a Blue Mountain Aoto from Japan Woodworker. It is one of my favorite hones. Relatively low grit yet it does its job very, very well.

I've read that they are inconsistent in grit performance but I see that with any natural stone. Have you ran across any issues or was it just finding the stones sweet spot?

The more I read about JNAT, the more mystical they seem.
I bought a Nakayama Asagi which is apparently a very hard stone. As I plan on using it as a fine finishing stone, I don't intend to use a nagura.

Is that right or do I need a nagura and if so, which one?

I bought a Nakayama Asagi which is apparently a very hard stone. As I plan on using it as a fine finishing stone, I don't intend to use a nagura.

you can use it straight after 8k or higher synthetic.

If you plan on using it as a finishing you don't HAVE to use a nagura. Many if not all, especially Agagi's finish very nice with just water.

You can try to finish with a Honzan nagura which is a piece of of a similarly harder stone to raise slurry with. I lost my honzan I by recommendations have used a DMT sharpening credit card size hone to raise slurry and use as a finishing honzan.

I would recommend trying it with water and see what results you get from your stone then move to slurry to experience both.

Yes, use a slurry! Generally speaking, what nagura you use to raise a slurry depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

I have a very hard, very slow Nakayama Asagi. Typically, I'll raise a slurry with a DMT. Hone until the slurry starts to thicken. Rinse razor and hone, raise another slurry. Hone until it starts to thicken. Rinse razor and hone, raise one last slurry. Hone until it starts to thicken and keep going until the slurry becomes a thin film on the hone. Of course you'll want to figure out what works best for your particular hone.

you can use it straight after 8k or higher synthetic.

I was planning on using it after my Shapton Ceramic Pro 12k as an alternative to going 16k and 30k with the Shaptons. I'm really interested to compare the finishing of the Shaptons against the JNAT.

OK, I've got a DMT so I'll use that to create a slurry and just experiment until I find what works.

Thanks for the advise everyone, it's greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I was planning on using it after my Shapton Ceramic Pro 12k as an alternative to going 16k and 30k with the Shaptons. I'm really interested to compare the finishing of the Shaptons against the JNAT.

If you use slurry I would bother with the 12K. I find the slurry breaks down and does it's on progression that will accomplish what you want to do.

Top Bottom