What's new

Kegerator Recommnedation Needed...

I am looking to get a kegerator for my homebrew, microbrew, and domestic/import kegs. Looking for a good quality one for a decent price ($400-600). Main concern is one that can get to a 32-36F temp and maintain. I have been doing research but would like some recommendations from people who use them. Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
Why not just pickup a second hand fridge or freezer and modify it? It's a heck of a lot cheaper then buying one.

I did this recently. Didnt buy a pre-assembled one. We needed a bigger chest freezer, so I just converted the old one. I bought a dual tap font from a keg supply place and we just drilled 2 holes (one for each beer line) through the top of the freezer.

I also purchased on ebay, a thermostat that replaces the standard freezer thermostat. It cost $60AUD from memory, and allows me to set the temp between 2-4 degrees depending on what beer I am serving at the time. The thermostat was literally a 2 min swap out.

I personally prefer the freezer over a fridge, as freezers usually have much more insulation in them, which cuts the operating cost down a LOT. I think it costs me about $20-$30 per year to run - couldnt do that with a fridge.

Honestly if you have a drill and a screwdriver, this is a fairly simple and straightforward exercise - you would be wasting a lot of $$ to buy a pre-made one.

Last edited:
I have been thinking about buying a used fridge off Craiglist and converting it, but was thinking most those fridges are old and very energy inefficient..costing me a lot in the long run. I live by myself with a big fridge (not big enough to fit keg also....) which cost me already. I used to have a second fridge for beer, soda, etc..but the electrical bill didn't justify the second.

Wedwards, Maybe I should consider the freezer chest route, especially given energy efficiency..however, with cost of chest, conversion kit, regulator, tank, new thermostat......do you thik it would be less than just buying a kegerator in the $400-600 range?

I highly recommend the freezer route. You can fit more kegs and maintain a more consistent temp. Most people will build a wooden collar for the freezer so they dont have to drill the top. You can cut holes in the collar to run your taps out of. Also if you will be using it for commercial and home brew make sure you get the correct hookups for sankey kegs (commercial) and cornelius (homebrew)

Top Bottom