What's new

Hidden Treasure

I've been going to the same barber shop for about a decade. They do a decent enough cut but they are what one would call "modern". The hairdressers look as if they've just come off the catwalk and the ambience it tries to create is very sparkly and dynamic, although to me it seems somewhat antiseptic and too commercial. I hope you know what I mean.

Anyway today I was desperate to get a cut but my usual was closed. Instead I wandered into a ramshackle old place with broken mirrors and rickety chairs and what might be best described as having a "manly" funk. There were four Afghani barbers no odler than about 25 who could only manage the most rudimentary of English. The tv in the corner was blaring out some Bollywood movie and the whole place looked as if it was going to be raided by the immigration police anytime. Anyway as you might have guessed i got an absolutely brilliant haircut, by lads who knew exactly what they were doing with a comb and a pair of scissors. A cut which the other shop does in about 15 minutes here took about 30 as the guy used scissors only and took the time to make sure the style was just right. It felt proper and traditional. I really enjoyed the experience. And to top it off it was exactly half the price of my usual place.

I went away very pleased and somewhat chastised for judging a book by it's cover.

London is too far away for me to visit your new discovery. Don't tell anyone else about it, though, or you may soon see your Afghani barbers spoiled by high-tipping British.

Sounds like a great experience, though.

It's always these "hole in the wall" places that provide the best service :thumbup1:. Stick with these guys. Looks like you find a great place for a fraction of the cost.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
It's great to have something like that available. Sounds a bit like the Royal barber shop here. Old time barber chairs, strops hanging off the chairs, one wall is all mirrors, Clubman aftershave. They've been in business since about 1910 or before I think. Two older barbers in their 70s and one in their 40s. Haircut is $7, shave with a shavette or your own personal straight is $6.

Haircut takes about 20-30 minutes with scissors and includes shaving your neck and cleaning up the hairline with a shavette, or your straight, and dusting you with talc after the cut.

Truly a "traditional" barber shop. I don't think they've changed anything in decades...they still have ashtrays and a sign in the window that says "We do not have a non-smoking area". They only put the sign up to comply with a city ordinance that states you must have a sign in a business if you don't have a non-smoking area.

As you would think, most of their customers are older men or parents who bring their young children in to experience the traditional barber shop haircut. And I haven't seen anyone smoking when someone brings their kids in.

I bet you'll be back to visit the Afgans again, huh?

Thanks guys. I will most definitely return tobthem from now on. Yes the place is grotty and the equipment doesn't look as crisp, shiny and gadgety like the other place but the guys do a fab job. They do a shave service too. Will certainly give it a go the next time I visit.

Just goes to show though that there are such places left in a world of commercial homogeneity

I found my current barber exactly like this. I must say that the decor of his barbershop played a bit on my decision. He has old barbershop paraphernalia and sports memorabilia everywhere. When I told him that I shave with a straight, he showed me some of his razors and even invited me to a shaving event to train his personnel. They gave me a free facial and a straight razor shave after we ate some pizza. I also honed some of his razors and kept them until my next visit. I have also let him use some of my razors and other goodies in my arsenal. I like my relationship with my current barber and cannot wait to go there for a chat and get a haircut.

Al raz.

A good barber who can actually work a comb and pair of scissors is becoming a rarity.

Three cheers for those that remain

Top Bottom