What's new

shaving cream recommendations?

Okay, gents, I've tried only three shaving creams - all from Taylor's. Specifically, I have Eton College, Lemon & Lime and now Lavender.

My favorite of these is clearly Eton College. The scent is really "me." (In fact I use the cologne regularly.)

The Lemon & Lime is a fun scent, too, but I sometimes feel like this one is irritating my face a bit somehow.

The Lavender is okay, but the scent does nothing for me.

What might I try next? Minty doesn't sound good to me. I'm not entirely dissuaded from citrus, though, as I adored the T&H West Indian Limes cologne I sampled.

I'm thinking T&H or Trumper. What are the varieties you think I might like? Bearing in mind that I'm leaning more towards traditional cologne scents with a possible eye towards something lime...

If you have no idea what I might like but you just want to tell me what YOU like, that's cool, too. :)

Mama Bear's, Sweet Sue at SCS, Colleen's creams at TGQ have become some of my favorites. Cremo Cream and Tabac are really good too, imo!

If you're into cologne-like scents my suggestions would be Harris Arlington, T&H Grafton, T&H Trafalgar (a personal favorite of mine), Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad, or C&E Sienna

--Mark

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I tried the cologne scented creams from Taylor, St James and Sandalwood and decided they weren't for me and sold them last week. If you would venture out of the cologne area, I can recommend both Taylor Avocado and Trumper Coconut shave creams. These would provide a nice diversion for you away from the cologne scented and most of the membership here has a fairly good opinion of both products. One more that really is nice for my face is the Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Shave Cream Unscented ( has lavender oil) which I have used 3 times since purchasing it last week at Nordstrom and will definately be a repeat buyer of. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

BW --

Mantic brought up the C&E creams and I concur. They are excellent, nicely fragrant, readily available. Your local mall likely has a C&E store and they will generally provide a small sample on request. I like the C&E creams, they're a good product.

-- John Gehman

I can heartily recommend anything by Tom of Maine's. It's all natural ingredients make it very easy on your face, and the oils in it make for a slick lather. I think they make it in three different scents of which I've only used the Mint kind. Who knows? You might want to try it, or at least make it a seasonal thing.

Beewolf - I would even suggest staying with Taylor's. Their tubes are a very good value and won't take a lifetime to use. They have an excellent Sandalwood and Rose.

The Rose is great in rotation but the Sandalwood could be used everyday!

If you want a change of pace get a couple shave sticks from QED but make sure you start with Charles' awesome Lime EO! :thumbup:

For the price I think another cologne-based Taylor cream is a much better option than the C&E offerings IMHO. Better shave and more interesting scents, but as always: YMMV.
If you want to go expensive: Harris Arlington.

The T&H Trafalgar is my favorite cologne scented cream. I am very curious about the St. james from TOBS in that most people seem to really like it. I would also highly recommend the C&E sweet almond oil cream as well...very floral smell (fresh-pressed almond scent) and extremely comfortable shaves.

I must recommend Kiss My Face Moisture Shave, many scents, and they are fantastic, not to mention priced right.

They lather just as well as the three T's and they actually make my skin softer, you can find them at any natural foods store such as Whole Foods, or Wild Oats. I have even seen them at a local Smiths Grocery store in the natural section.

I think they are a fantastic value, may not be as romantic as the T's, or as strongly scented, but give them a shot. :thumbup1:

Trumper's Coconut Oil & Trumper's Rose.

(Edit) Sorry, didn't read your stipulation about Cologne. You could try the Trumper's Sandalwood, or Taylor's Sandalwood. (The Coconut and Rose are nicer though......)

I must recommend Kiss My Face Moisture Shave, many scents, and they are fantastic, not to mention priced right.

They lather just as well as the three T's and they actually make my skin softer, you can find them at any natural foods store such as Whole Foods, or Wild Oats. I have even seen them at a local Smiths Grocery store in the natural section.

I think they are a fantastic value, may not be as romantic as the T's, or as strongly scented, but give them a shot. :thumbup1:

+1 And they lather so easily! Just a little water a few swirls and BOOM! You got lather. KMF is my go to when I'm in a hurry.

Oh, and don't forget Proraso. I get the impression from lots of folks around here that you just haven't really had the full wet shaving experience until you try Proraso.

Trumper Sandalwood. If you like Eton College that much, I am quite certain you will like it. No, they are not the same, or really that close, but there is a similar feel. British, woody, slightly musty, makes you think of sitting in an old library, very masculine, in a refined sort of way. It is one of my favorites, sticking with something you are likely to like, but venturing away from Taylor, for a little variety.

-Mo

I want to second and third T&H Trafalgar. I finished up a sample this week and went out today and purchased a jar from Nordstrom. Also running a close second is T&H 1805 and C&E Sandalwood. But if you like the cologne scents, you have to try Trafalgar. Actually...I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more mentions in this thread so far!

Matt

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Beewolf - I would even suggest staying with Taylor's. Their tubes are a very good value and won't take a lifetime to use. They have an excellent Sandalwood and Rose.

The Rose is great in rotation but the Sandalwood could be used everyday!

If you want a change of pace get a couple shave sticks from QED but make sure you start with Charles' awesome Lime EO! :thumbup:

+1.

I am more of a soap guy myself, but I have tubs of the Taylor Rose and Avocado, and the sandalwood in soap. I can vouch for the great scent of the sanalwood, and if you can venture into rose territory you will be happy! The avocado is a great shave indeed, and cooling on the face, but some people dislike the scent so that may be a bit of a TEHO thing.

Vulfix also makes a good sandalwood, which I've tried once in a Scotto sample.

Top Bottom