What's new

Gillette Atra and Trac II blades at CVS

Hello there guys, I'm kind of new to the forum but I'd just thought I'd post something haha

At my local CVS they have Twin Pivot Plus blades for sale in packs of 20 for around $6. I haven't shaved with them yet because the Atra razor handle that I bought from ebay has yet to arrive. Hopefully they're good because these look like a pretty good deal. If not then I'll try the Personna blades since they seem to get a lot of praise around here. The Gillette brand ones are WAY too expensive!

Anyways thanks for looking!

-davegt666

CVS Atra only cartridges have been my favorite for that razor. I even shaved with one this morning. Before I discovered that shaving could be a hobby, and that people still used single blade razors, I'd noticed that the CVS cartridges gave me a smoother shave than the Gillette ones, while costing much less. I haven't used the kind that fits both Trac II and Atra, though. Hopefully the same quality.

I prefer my injectors, though. Just using the Atra a couple of times out of nostalgia. By the way, welcome to the forums!

CVS Atra only cartridges have been my favorite for that razor. I even shaved with one this morning. Before I discovered that shaving could be a hobby, and that people still used single blade razors, I'd noticed that the CVS cartridges gave me a smoother shave than the Gillette ones, while costing much less. I haven't used the kind that fits both Trac II and Atra, though. Hopefully the same quality.

I prefer my injectors, though. Just using the Atra a couple of times out of nostalgia. By the way, welcome to the forums!

Haha thanks for the welcome.

I don't recall seeing Atra only cartridges when I went there. They either don't carry them or I just didn't see them. Hopefully they are of good quality. Can't wait to use them when my handle arrives.:thumbup:

I haven't found a two-bladed cartridge fitting the Atra that is as good as the Gillette-branded ones.

If I were going to use the Atra, I would spring for the Gillette blades, but that's just me.

I'm going to give the CVS blades a try since I still use a Trac II occasionally on my head. I tried the new Wilkinsons from Walmart and was not impressed in the least.

Oh yeah, welcome to B&B.

I have started monitoring the price of these monstrosities recently and am shocked at the prices Gillette et. al. can sell razor heads at. 20 heads for $6 is one of the best deals I have seen for the older two-blade razors. Heck, I paid more per blade for my DE Feathers I just bought. However, generic DE blades come five for a dollar when they are in stock -- just a bit cheaper (the ones I tried gave an OK shave). 30 cents a head isn't bad at all for a cart razor!

I know I've been shaving with the Sensor Excel lately but the prices of replacements is an outrage! Hopefully these workout. I was suprised at 20 for $6 too! The regular gilette Trac II brand was $15 for only 10!!! What gives?!!!

Rite-Aid carries Acti-Flexx Sensor replacement cartridges @ 5 for 5.99. The blades flex in the rigid cartridge body. They fit all Sensor razors. Carries Rite-Aid branding, but they're manufactured by ASR (Personna). Do an okay job. The Trac II replacement cartridges at CVS have proven to be very good.

I gave the Dollar General Twin Blade cartridges a shot last month and found them to be quite nice in an Atra handle. They also fit Trac II handles. They are made by Dorco in Korea, with a six-pack priced at $1.29. Not bad, IMHO. :001_smile

I picked up the Atra handle for use as an airplane-friendly travel razor, and am not interested in buying the overpriced Gillette cartridges! :001_tt2:

I gave the Dollar General Twin Blade cartridges a shot last month and found them to be quite nice in an Atra handle. They also fit Trac II handles. They are made by Dorco in Korea, with a six-pack priced at $1.29. Not bad, IMHO. :001_smile

I picked up the Atra handle for use as an airplane-friendly travel razor, and am not interested in buying the overpriced Gillette cartridges! :001_tt2:

My mileage varied.

They stink in the Atra, IMO. They pivot incorrectly and ruin the whole point of the pivoting head, making you hold the handle almost perpendicular to your face in order to make good contact. And they fall right off my Trac II.

The Gillette-branded Atra blades are seriously nice, and, IMO, worth the extra coin (if you're going to shave with a cartridge razor).

Hello there guys, I'm kind of new to the forum but I'd just thought I'd post something haha

At my local CVS they have Twin Pivot Plus blades for sale in packs of 20 for around $6. I haven't shaved with them yet because the Atra razor handle that I bought from ebay has yet to arrive. Hopefully they're good because these look like a pretty good deal. If not then I'll try the Personna blades since they seem to get a lot of praise around here. The Gillette brand ones are WAY too expensive!

Anyways thanks for looking!

-davegt666

I have been fortunate with both Atra and Trac II blades. Most of my blades are vintage with the blades not having the lube strip and some that do. They are mostly late 70's and 80's blades. They give me a comfortable shave. I did purchase a current production Atra blade from Gillette and find them a little rough for my liking. The Atra blades that you have from CVS are a good blade and I like them slightly better than current Gillette Atra's. Personna is the maker of the CVS blades that you have pictured.

I have had no luck with the Gillette Atra blades, they dont cut too well. The best I have used so far are the Auto Plus ones from Personna.

proxy.php

I am a big fan of the Dollar General Dorco Atra-Trac II Combo blades.
Six blades for a buck twenty five and they shave great!
Wp

Last edited:
My mileage varied.

They stink in the Atra, IMO. They pivot incorrectly and ruin the whole point of the pivoting head, making you hold the handle almost perpendicular to your face in order to make good contact. And they fall right off my Trac II.

The Gillette-branded Atra blades are seriously nice, and, IMO, worth the extra coin (if you're going to shave with a cartridge razor).

I'm going to pick up an Atra handle, due to the reasonable price of the carts. Seems to be some difference of opinion on whether these pivot correctly in an Atra handle. Any other opinions?

The Atras have a big following. Until I discovered DE shaving a few months ago, I was still using the same Atra handle that my parents bought me 24 years ago when I started shaving.

My mileage varied.

I agree. They do pivot incorrectly, which became quite obvious when I got to my chin. They started skipping terribly. I'm used to the Atra -- good, solid shave with no issues, ordinarily -- but I would buy the Gillette brand next time. I will probably save these generics for a non-pivoting razor handle.

Top Bottom