What's new

Glad to be here!

Hi All,

I am brand new to this world and very excited to be here:thumbup1:

I came across Mantic59 on youtube almost by accident and became obbssesed with the world of wet shaving. It just makes sense to me:thumbup:

I have ordered a shaving set from Fendrihan (not alot of places in Canada to order from) and am anticipating it's arrival on Monday. It consists of a Merkur 38c razor, a sampler pack of blades with Merkur, Feather, Astra and Derby, a Vulfix 660 super badger brush and a Cyril Salter classic shaving soap.

Would love any advice on where to start, which blade to try first and any other advice available.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

The links above will get you started down the right path. Sounds like a great kit to start with! Welcome to B&B, glad to have you here!

Welcome, Andrew! I bought practically the same kit from Fendrihan (although I selected the Merkur 34C razor). I think I even got the same blade sampler, although mine also included the white-pack German Wilkinson swords. The common wisdom seems to be that it doesn't matter in which order you use the blades, except that Feather can punish a poor technique. For purely academic purposes, I'll tell you what I did with initial blade order: Merkur, Derby, Astra SP, Wilk, and Feather.

I haven't done much with the Cyril Salter soap yet. I've been sticking to the high-value Williams/Kiss-My-Face superlather as I continue testing out my now-greatly-expanded stable of blade samples. I've found several good ones, but so far my favorites have been Medical Personnas and Gillette Bleue Extra.

P.S. Of the original samples, my best ones were the Astras and the Feathers.

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for the replies. I certainly did not expect so much feedback from a first post.
So, it's Sunday night and I expect to receive my new shaving kit tomorrow. I didn't shave today. I would really like to try the new set when it arrives.

Question: Do I shave DE for the first time after 48 hours growth? or Do I trim back with maybe an electric to bring the shrubs back down to a manageable level?
I'd like to lose as little blood as possible... any advice?:001_huh:

Question: Do I shave DE for the first time after 48 hours growth? or Do I trim back with maybe an electric to bring the shrubs back down to a manageable level?
My first DE shave was with a Weishi, an Astra SP, and a two week beard. No blood loss. Note though that the Weishi is known to be a non-aggressive razor. Beard reduction, not beard elimination -- as the wise ones say.

I'd do it with a fresh razor and a well prepped/lathered face, but your face and hair growth are different than mine.

Be mindful and respect the tools you are using. Best of luck and enjoy your first shave, my friend!

Last edited:
Top Bottom