What's new

Fuzzy Logic Cooking : Tips and Recipes

I just got myself a Fuzzy Logic rice-cooker/slow-cooker/steamer by Sanyo ... its a 5.5 cup size, it comes with 2 inner pots and inner lids, one for rice cooking and the other for everything else. Martin Yan's smiling face is all over the box as the Celebrity Chef endorsement.

I bought this mainly for the timer function. So I can throw in the ingredients in the morning and have a fresh cooked meal waiting for me as soon as I get home from work.

Yesterday's batch of rice was perfect, but I cooked it on the spot, instead of using the timer. It took about 50 minutes to make the first batch, with unrinsed rice.

Today, I used the timer. Same ingredients. The rice turned out mushy and sticky ... but it tasted great.

Anyway ... has anyone got any good advice on how to make best use of these things? There is a thin book of recipes, but not much else. I'm trying to adapt some of my own batches to fit the fuzzy-logic school of cooking.

I like the timer function so much that I'm even thinking of getting a second unit, so that I can run one for rice-cooking only and the other for slow-cooking and steaming. It may be the same identical Sanyo 5.5, if I ever catch it on sale, or else I might go for a Vita-Clay cooker for rice only, and use the Sanyo for everything else.

Last edited:
There is a good cookbook that details a multitude of uses for them. The exact title escapes me, but one of the authors is Beth Hensperger.

I'm sorry but what is the fuzzy logic school of cooking?
The Fuzzy Logic School of Cooking is a term I just made up ... it refers to the special tips and techniques one would use to maximize the results of using one of this particular type of small kitchen appliances.

Although I've used basic on/off rice cookers and slow-cookers for years, this is the first time I've gotten serious enough to use a programmable one. Some things are different about how to prep the food, for example, there's no need to rinse the rice beforehand, and a few things can't be put in to the timer-pot because they will go sour while waiting for cooking to start.

With active Mess Hall threads about other kitchen gadgets, I figured this was a good place to kick around some ideas and trade recipes with other members.

I have had a FL rice cooker for several years now. I love it. A large part of my weekly calories come from brown rice, and this thing is the BOMB for that.

I also have the cookbook and it's good. I haven't used it for much, but I think I'll take another look at it.

The rice may be a bit mushy if you put it on a timer because the grains soak all day in the water before they cook.

BTW, if you like old fashioned steel cut oats, you'll love your Sanyo even more! Set it up before bed and have fresh, healthy oatmeal waiting when you wake up.

I have had a FL rice cooker for several years now. I love it. A large part of my weekly calories come from brown rice, and this thing is the BOMB for that.
I've never had much luck cooking brown rice, it always comes out too tough. I'll have to give it another try with the FL programming.

Today, I scored myself 3 x 12-pound bags of Basmati rice for $5 each. I figure each bag is good for about 6 months of meals. I'm going to pick up more bags on my next trip, to be given out as gifts.
I also have the cookbook and it's good. I haven't used it for much, but I think I'll take another look at it.
I've been rereading the thin book of recipes from Martin Yan that came with this cooker. It's not much, but it gives me a few ideas on where to go next with this appliance.
The rice may be a bit mushy if you put it on a timer because the grains soak all day in the water before they cook.
I discovered that I had set the programming for Soft rice, and it performed as directed. The next batch, I set it for Regular, and it came out just fine.

BTW, if you like old fashioned steel cut oats, you'll love your Sanyo even more! Set it up before bed and have fresh, healthy oatmeal waiting when you wake up.
I picked up a box of McCann's Steel Cut Oats today ... I'll give 'em a try in the next couple of days.

One thing that's always confused me about rice cookers, both the FL kind and the Cook/Warm kind, is that they use a different measure when referring to a "cup" of rice. The measuring cup they include is only 180ml (6oz,) whereas my definition of "cup" is 250ml (8oz.)

So I use their cup to dry-meaure the rice, and a conventional cup to put in 500ml of broth and/or water.

We often hear the 2:1 ratio for cooking water/rice, and that works out just fine for stove-top cooking .. but this works out closer to 3:1.

Last edited:
One thing that's always confused me about rice cookers, both the FL kind and the Cook/Warm kind, is that they use a different measure when referring to a "cup" of rice. The measuring cup they include is only 180ml (6oz,) whereas my definition of "cup" is 250ml (8oz.)

So I use their cup to dry-meaure the rice, and a conventional cup to put in 500ml of broth and/or water.

We often hear the 2:1 ratio for cooking water/rice, and that works out just fine for stove-top cooking .. but this works out closer to 3:1.

The cookbook I referenced converts all the amounts to US measures.

Only use one cup for measuring rice and water. I use the plastic cup that comes with the cooker. I use a 1.5:1 ratio. So, I measure out, say, 2 cups of rice into a bowl to wash the rice. I put the washed rice into the cooker and add 3 of the measuring cups of water into the cooker and away we go. Adding too much water will break down the rice more than you want so it gets pulpy. For sushi rice (short grain) I use 3 cups rice:4 cups water because the rice needs to be a little firmer.

Whatever you do, don't try mochi rice in this thing.

We usually pound mochi for the new year, but got lazy and started hooking up our mochi making machines. I brought my fuzzy logic version, since it stated it could cook mochi rice, and it came out disgusting and watery.

Whatever you do, don't try mochi rice in this thing.

We usually pound mochi for the new year, but got lazy and started hooking up our mochi making machines. I brought my fuzzy logic version, since it stated it could cook mochi rice, and it came out disgusting and watery.
What is mochi rice?

My cooker has a setting for something called "Haiga" ... and I'm not sure what that is, either.

Top Bottom