What's new

How best to remove the chips?

I have 325 diamond.

800 grit waterstone and 1200 grit diamond.

Coticule as well w/ slurry stones. That's what I have for the lower grit stones, was wondering where I should start to try and remove this chip near the toe there.

Before you decide on the tool to use, I suggest you decide where you will remove the metal. I see three choices:

1. Lose length. Cut off the tip using a dremel cut-off wheel.
2. Lose width. Hone the edge back until you reach good steel for the entire edge.
3. Change shape. Round the tip, then hone the end sharp.

I think whichever method you use, it will take some serious honing or metal-cutting.

There is a fourth option. Hone the razor using fairly aggressive stones, and see what it looks like afterward.

That's pretty minor, Start with the DMT 1200, and if it's taking too long step down to the 800grit stone. You shouldn't have to used the 325 grit.

Depending on what waterstone you have it may leave scratch marks that may not come out as well as just using your 1200. I agree with superbleu though it may take a little while the 1200 should clear that up for you.

I'd go ~45* spine off the hone, free handing for 10 swipes on each side on the 325. Add more passes if the chip is not completely removed, then go to your bevel setter and set the bevel.

I'd go ~45* spine off the hone, free handing for 10 swipes on each side on the 325. Add more passes if the chip is not completely removed, then go to your bevel setter and set the bevel.
That is exactly how I would do it too.

So, I took them out using the 45 degree angle on the 325. Took a little bit of time, but got them out. Now, I'm about to finish the 4000 stone in my progression.

I have a coticule, 16K shapton and an Escher. I am thinking the next step should be coticule with light slurry. Increase if need to? Then dilute down to plain water.

U

Utopian

Before you decide on the tool to use, I suggest you decide where you will remove the metal. I see three choices:

1. Lose length. Cut off the tip using a dremel cut-off wheel.
2. Lose width. Hone the edge back until you reach good steel for the entire edge.
3. Change shape. Round the tip, then hone the end sharp.

I think whichever method you use, it will take some serious honing or metal-cutting.

There is a fourth option. Hone the razor using fairly aggressive stones, and see what it looks like afterward.
There are multiple chips with some of them near the middle of the edge. Options 1 and 3 are not viable options.

I'd use the DMT 325 and lift the spine up a little (I'm not sure what the angle would be) and hone it that way until the chips are gone. Then move onto your 800, 1200 and then coticle.

So, I took them out using the 45 degree angle on the 325. Took a little bit of time, but got them out. Now, I'm about to finish the 4000 stone in my progression.

I have a coticule, 16K shapton and an Escher. I am thinking the next step should be coticule with light slurry. Increase if need to? Then dilute down to plain water.

There are multiple chips with some of them near the middle of the edge. Options 1 and 3 are not viable options.

I really over-estimated the severity of the chips on this one.

Top Bottom