What's new

Gillette US Short Comb

I just found one of these in the bargain bin at an antique shop. I'm going to polish and clean it up...would like to use it, of course. Can you use modern DE blades with these old style razors?

Will do. Anyone know how to get deep black tarnish out of one of these...I've read that they're gold-plated (looks like brass). I tried toothbrush and Brasso, but it didn't work as well as I would have liked.

Is it silver or gold? Or is it worn through to the brass? It might help if you post a pic or let us know exactly what razor it is.

I usually start by soaking in dishsoap and water, but it sounds like you may be beyond that step already. Be careful with Brasso unless you are trying to remove the plating. I used it to intentionally take the remaining plating off of my "New" cap and it came off quickly.

Look for the before and after cleaning thread. Should be a lot of helpful info in there.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Will do. Anyone know how to get deep black tarnish out of one of these...I've read that they're gold-plated (looks like brass). I tried toothbrush and Brasso, but it didn't work as well as I would have liked.

I bought the ugliest new I have ever seen. It was black and green and not sure what else. I soaked it in scrubbing bubbles then took a toothbrush to it. I did that about 4 times and it came out spotless. Off course the plating is gone but I knew that could not be saved. It is my favorite shaver. Here is a picture.

Scott

I had almost the opposite dilemma. I picked up a New that was in pristine condition. I debated using it versus keeping it for display. I figured I'd use it once then put it away. The shave quality was so good, the decision was made easy. Something that shaves that well was made to be used, not looked at.

Top Bottom