What's new

ARGHHHHHH! Microtome!

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Go ahead and laugh..... I'm trying to....

In my delight to find a handful of NOS Puma Straights yesterday, I managed to purchase a Puma 16 INOX Microtome!!!! This was not my intent obviously. I did snag a Puma 91 High Class NOS ( no longer because I gave it a few strokes on a Tony Miller Pasted Paddle Strop and shaved with it). I have purchased hundreds of razors online and off and this has to be one of my biggest bonehead moves! I let the excitement of finding such a rare treasure cloud my eyesight I suppose. :blink::blushing::angry::lol:

Go ahead and laugh..... I'm trying to....

In my delight to find a handful of NOS Puma Straights yesterday, I managed to purchase a Puma 16 INOX Microtome!!!! This was not my intent obviously. I did snag a Puma 91 High Class NOS ( no longer because I gave it a few strokes on a Tony Miller Pasted Paddle Strop and shaved with it). I have purchased hundreds of razors online and off and this has to be one of my biggest bonehead moves! I let the excitement of finding such a rare treasure cloud my eyesight I suppose. :blink::blushing::angry::lol:

It would be a shame not to use such a razor. I wouldn't feel bad. Just keep it in "NOS like" condition and I doubt resale value would go down much if you decided to let it go in the future.

Some of my best shavers have been Microtomes.. I have found some that are even ground similar to a straight so there is no special honing required. If it doesn't work out I am sure there are plenty of us on here that may be interested in it :laugh:

Ok.. coming from a career as a scientist when I saw microtome my brain went to the machine we use to make thin tissue sections. While a shaving razor is not far off to some extent.. what is a puma microtome and what makes it different =p

Ok.. coming from a career as a scientist when I saw microtome my brain went to the machine we use to make thin tissue sections. While a shaving razor is not far off to some extent.. what is a puma microtome and what makes it different =p

its a razor that was only ground on one side, so you can slice your slides that way. a fair few straight makers made them too

No, it's nothing like a kamisori, totally different.

Some have adapted them for shaving. Personally I'd keep it as a collectable.

Aside from lacking the mystique of the Orient, what is the difference between a ground on one side microtome and a ground on one side kamsori?

Yes the kamisori is ground on both sides and the sides are different and the entire blade is canted in one direction. The microtome is strictly a one sided device. Totally different.

Ha ha - I got one too!
Arrived this morning and I didn't know what it was til I got pointed to this thread:
proxy.php
proxy.php

I hear they make wicked shavers when rehoned properly :thumbup:

The microtome are halfway to a to good razor...just need to finishing the grind. I think someone wanted to go home early on a Friday and the microtome was invented:lol:

Mine's not a PUMA but it is a microtome.
proxy.php

It's also damn near big enough to cut wood with.
proxy.php

That's a 7/8 W&B for scale.

Top Bottom