Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which witch hazel?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default which witch hazel?

hi all, have been looking at different types of witch hazel, but am not sure about the different types.

whats the difference between the ones with alcohol in and the ones without alcohol? which would be the best for sensitive skin?

thanks

I'd be hard-pressed to find a huge difference.

I stick to T.N. Dickinson. The Target Up and Up brand works just as well too. Same with Thayers, but you get it scented to your liking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by themilkman View Post
    hi all, have been looking at different types of witch hazel, but am not sure about the different types.

whats the difference between the ones with alcohol in and the ones without alcohol? which would be the best for sensitive skin?

thanks
    If you have sensitive skin, avoid alcohol! I know that many, if not most, members seem to think that an AS splash containing alcohol is good for their skin, IMHO they are misinformed. However, YMMV, and all that.

I use Thayers W H without alcohol. I have tried the unscented and regular. They are both soothing. No burn and no drying effects, it works for me.
    Last edited by BlackBard; 11-19-2010 at 10:35 AM.
    My name is David, but you can call me Jim, if you prefer. My mileage does vary, however.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Dickensons from Kroger. Cheap, and the alcohol content is low if that is not your thing (I like a little alcohol in mine).

I was skeptical before trying WH, but it is what people make it out to be and will be in my routine from now on.
    Progress, Labs/Astra SP, Semogue 1520, Tabac, Palmolive, Speick, Arlington, MWF, Arko.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pick yourself some up from the local drug store. It is cheap and the smell disappears in seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBard View Post
    If you have sensitive skin, avoid alcohol!
    Then it is not possible to use witch hazel. All (real) witch hazel contains alcohol.
    Matthew |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mretzloff View Post
    Pick yourself some up from the local drug store. It is cheap and the smell disappears in seconds.

Originally Posted by BlackBard
    If you have sensitive skin, avoid alcohol!

Then it is not possible to use witch hazel. All (real) witch hazel contains alcohol.
    Perhaps you should take that up with the Thayers company. Also, see this wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch-hazel

Just sayin.....
    Last edited by BlackBard; 11-19-2010 at 11:31 AM.
    My name is David, but you can call me Jim, if you prefer. My mileage does vary, however.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have used drugstore witch hazel for years and I'm sure I'll buy it again. It gave my skin no problems.

I got the Thayer's Rose and the smell was great. However, the Thayer's Witch Hazel (at least in this version) says it has a concentrated witch hazel, and it did irritate my skin a bit. Who knows, it could have been the fragrance and not the witch hazel. I still use it from time to time because I like the scent and I don't want to throw the bottle out.

I'll probably try the aloe version of Thayer's next time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Thayer's lemon for the win. You will pay less for other / drugstore brands, but the scent of those can be a lot to get used to. Dickinson's, imho, is particularly strong.
    -- Richard, Czar of Cheddar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just sayin.....
    Take a look at this thread. I am not going to repeat what Clubman Rob already has said.
    Last edited by mretzloff; 11-19-2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: wrong BBcode
    Matthew |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Originally Posted by BlackBard View Post

Just sayin.....
    Quote Originally Posted by mretzloff View Post
    Take a look at this thread. I am not going to repeat what Clubman Rob already has said.
    My last word on the subject. I checked Clubman Rob's profile. I did not find anything that said he was an authority on witch hazel. If you want to accept his version of what constitutes "real" witch hazel, feel free. Remember, YMMV.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks for the replies guys. Im in england and dont think we get dickinsons here, but there is a company selling thayers so i have ordered the following 3 trial sizes:
    Thayers Medicated Superhazel Topical Pain Reliever 2oz (59ml) Witch Hazel
    Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel alcohol free with Organic Aloe Vera 2oz (59ml)
    Thayers Lavender Witch Hazel alcohol free with Aloe Vera 2oz (59ml)

and will see which i prefer.

Has anyone used thayers after shave witch hazel?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My last word on the subject. I checked Clubman Rob's profile. I did not find anything that said he was an authority on witch hazel. If you want to accept his version of what constitutes "real" witch hazel, feel free. Remember, YMMV.
    Did you even read the thread? He listed around 20 various articles proving my point. All you did was link to Wikipedia, which, if I listed it as a source, would cause me to fail any college class.
    Last edited by mretzloff; 11-19-2010 at 03:09 PM.
    Matthew |

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Boots distilled Witch Hazel is very effective and as cheap as chips. Sainsburys do one too, which appears to be exactly the same stuff. I use it if I feel a little irritation. I have it in a small spray bottle, which I also got from Boots.
    I have far too much stuff to even begin to list it here...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichGem View Post
    Thayer's lemon for the win. You will pay less for other / drugstore brands, but the scent of those can be a lot to get used to. Dickinson's, imho, is particularly strong.
    +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This IMHO is the best Witch Hazel period, I've tried many, many others. Thank You !
    were all in it to the end so get comfortable and shave your head !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not to interested in the "real" witch hazel debate. To me its just like a democrat and republican trying to tell each other their take on politics is the correct one.

I had the same question you had about what to use and I made my own choice. I found the oldest continually manufactured witch hazel. Turns out both of them are out of Connecticut, which is where the witch hazel plant is from. Dickerson, which has been doing it since the 1870's and Thayers who have been at it for about 40 years longer then them.

I bought dickersons at cvs and ordered a Sampler pack of every scent and type of Thayers 17 dollars gets you both Astringent (w/alcohol) and toner(wo/alcohol).

Try them yourself and see which one you like better.

I opted for Thayers and though I'm still using the sampler, will go for the aloe vera astringent. I'll leave the scents to a EDT.
    Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's not a debate... You have to make a distillate of white hazel PERIOD! But what people aren't getting is that there are different distillates of witch hazel: alcohol distillates and hydrosol distillates.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BCatl View Post
    I have used drugstore witch hazel for years and I'm sure I'll buy it again. It gave my skin no problems.

I got the Thayer's Rose and the smell was great. However, the Thayer's Witch Hazel (at least in this version) says it has a concentrated witch hazel, and it did irritate my skin a bit. Who knows, it could have been the fragrance and not the witch hazel. I still use it from time to time because I like the scent and I don't want to throw the bottle out.

I'll probably try the aloe version of Thayer's next time.
    Don't they all have aloe? Both of mine (Lavender and Cucumber) have Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice listed as the #2 ingredient after Purified Water.
    Keep Calm and Shave On.

FL shaver is online now I lay awake at night worried there's more cream in the tube I threw out
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I, too, go with the original, Dickinson's, first made in the lower CT River Valley. All of the scented witch hazels strike me as the result of sly marketing to sell a more profitable product.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

The whole reason I use an alcohol free witch hazel product like Thayer's is so it will tighten & tone my skin and prepare it better for when it dries, I can still use my brisk, snappy, cooling and antiseptic high alcohol content Aqua Velva! :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast