What's new

Need a new Fridge

Gents, my 8 year old General Electric fridge gave up the ghost yesterday. I am in the market for a new fridge. I am think about one with french doors and bottom freezer. I don't care for water and ice dispensers on the door. I just need a good basic fridge that lasts. What say you?

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
We are also looking to replace an older unit. The French Door Bottom Freezer with no EXTERIOR water or icemaker is exactly where we are headed as well.
Seems they are in the $1400-!800 range and the 25 cu ft models are where we are looking. Samsung, LG, Whirlpool Gold, and Kitchen Aid all in that range. Unfortunate for you Andrew that a week before Thanksgiving you'd have to have a replacement, but it will get its first true workout on Turkey Day depending on the size of your celebration.

Check out consumer reports. Many of these fancy brands are just fancy looking, very expensive and very unreliable.

+1, consumerreports.org and the magazine is usually in libraries; they rate annually and update throughout the calendar year. Samsung RFG297AARS 28.5 cubic foot side-by-side stainless steel.

Consider repair as an alternative; get an estimate, it will help you decide whether to repair or replace. Consumer Reports also deals with this question.

Last edited:
Mine craped out last week :angry:. Getting it looked at today but my wife insists on getting a "modern" looking '50s red fridge to match the rest of the stuff in the kitchen.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
We have an Amana that will probably live longer than any of us. I have heard the quality now is not what it used to be. My mother in law swears by Kenmoore and they get good reviews. We do have a Kenmoore dishwasher it is an animal. You can throw what ever crud you want into it and dishes come out sparkling. All of their products are made buy whirlpool so that is an option as well.

Scott

We bought a Kenmore Elite French door, bottom freezer 25c.f. fridge when we moved last year. Loving it so far. It's made by LG, other models in the line are made by Amana.

A neighbor at our previous condo had a super nice looking Sub Zero.

She also always had at least one visit a year from the SZ repair man..

Home Depot just posted their Pre-Black Friday sales and they seem to have a bunch of fridges on sale. I hope this link works

Also, there are state recycling programs that some of you might be able to check out. I was able to turn in a 20 year old fridge for $400. (I'm in California)

-Kristie.

When we moved into our current house, all of the appliances were black/stainless, and our fridge was white - so of course wife said we needed a new fridge. She wanted the french doors with the freezer on the bottom, so that's what we got.

We got the LG 25 cu.ft. in black. Bought it off of Austin Craigslist for $500 (the stumbling economy was forcing the previous owners to "downsize" to a house where they only had room for three refrigerators, so they decided to sell their #4 unit that hardly ever got used anyway - we were happy to take it off their hands).

We've owned it for about a year and a half, and love it. Kinda funny story:

If you accidentally leave the door slightly ajar, the fridge eventually starts beeping at you - I didn't know this. One day the wife gets home, and finds me in the kitchen, pretty annoyed. She asks me what's wrong, and I say "This damned microwave won't stop beeping - I don't know what's wrong with it!"

She looks at me...smiles...and says: "That's the fridge beeping, jackass."

Mine is on its last legs also, so very interested in hearing suggestions.

The real question is "Is your refrigerator running?" :w00t:

+1 to all the black friday deals that should be coming up soon. Keep checking sites like dealspl.us and the like to get the lowdown on all of these sales.

Gents, I bought a side by side after all. I looked at several fridges at Sears and bought this one.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04651012000P?prdNo=7&blockNo=7&blockType=L7

It was cheap and big.

Cool :cool:. When needed, don't purchase your water filters from Sears. You can find them much cheaper on-line from other vendors.

Viking Professional is Sub-Zero quality for less money.
LG is very good in the GE price range.

Viking Built-in Refrigerators: Poor quality and overpriced.

Viking Stand-alone* Refrigerators: Good quality and overpriced.

*The functional parts in the Stand-alone are
manufactured by Amana (Whirlpool).

We have an Amana that will probably live longer than any of us. I have heard the quality now is not what it used to be. My mother in law swears by Kenmoore and they get good reviews. We do have a Kenmoore dishwasher it is an animal. You can throw what ever crud you want into it and dishes come out sparkling. All of their products are made buy whirlpool so that is an option as well.

Scott

At one time Amana was legendary however these days it's a joke. They sold out to maytag years ago who was in turn bought out by Whirlpool. I have an 8 year old Amana frig and it's a maytag and when it needs repair parts they put Whirlpool parts in.

At one time Amana was legendary however these days it's a joke. They sold out to maytag years ago who was in turn bought out by Whirlpool. I have an 8 year old Amana frig and it's a maytag and when it needs repair parts they put Whirlpool parts in.

I will never buy another maytag product again. Our 1 1/2 year old fridge broke today, six months out of warrenty. Sears and maytag both agree that since the warranty is up its my problem and so what if you think it should last longer than 1 year. The fan that pulls air across the coils and compressor fell off the damn shaft and something overheated. Maybe they should have attached it a little better.:angry:

Mechanical fridges were fantastic.

Modern fridges with controller boards and chips.... suck.

Fully integrated. You can't ask repairers for recommendations any more, because by the time any fridge needs you to call a repair mob - it's been three years since you could buy one.

Good luck with your fridge, all of you! PS I don't want to hear that Maytag don't make good fridges, I'll leave it to you to work out why!

I bought a new GE fridge in august,I immediatly filled out and sent in all the proper forms,to date,no $200 rebate..so I gave them a call,actually got through within 4 minutes,an american voice (calif rebates) the problem??? I did not put my middle initial on the rebate form !! my middle initial was on my utility bill,that must be sent in as well,it did not "match" in there opinion.now I must start the whole process over,and gov't funding is getting low...my kudos to sears,where I purchased it,their rebate was very prompt on the hauling and delivery,which left me with no out of pocket money for delivery and hauling...

Top Bottom