What's new

..just got an ounce in mail...

...not really an ounce, but my straight arrive yesterday and I'm waiting on my strop and brush to arrive. So at this point I'm just staring in this little piece of marvelous steel...waiting to cut..I mean shave myself:thumbup:

I've been doing a lot of studying, reading, watching videos to pick up some technique. Any recommendations for the first shave from experienced masters?

I'm been told to just start with the cheeks and to ease the blade onto the skin. To be truthful, is a daunting thought of using a straight for the first time. I've used cartridge razors for years and years, but for some odd reason I feel a bit anxious, nervous, and just want to get through my first shave somewhat unscathed.

Thanks again to the many people that have helped, given advice, sold me items, and who have been pure gentleman.

Nice blade!

always make sure the blade is moving prior to putting the edge on your face.

use lighter pressure than you think neccessary, remember you're doing multiple passes to get a shave.

an if your unscathed ...it's a success!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Nice! Which brand is the straight razor? Looks like a 5/8.

Recommendation, make sure you have a good prep and lather.

Don't expect a good shave.

Go Slow

If it doesn't feel right, STOP!

That's all. Good luck and please report back!

Here's the listing from which I purchase it from:
"Geneva, U.S.A. Pyramid Brand by the Geneva Cutlery, Corporation in Geneva, New York. In perfect defect and blemish free condition this razor shows no previous usage. It has a full 5/8 + wide, hollow ground, carbon steel blade with an extremely high lustrous mirror finish on all the steel parts of this blade. The handles themselves have a highly shiny surface sheen and are in like new condition. These old Geneva's make great daily shavers and this one comes guaranteed shave ready."

I post an update after the first go.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Here's the listing from which I purchase it from:
"Geneva, U.S.A. Pyramid Brand by the Geneva Cutlery, Corporation in Geneva, New York. In perfect defect and blemish free condition this razor shows no previous usage. It has a full 5/8 + wide, hollow ground, carbon steel blade with an extremely high lustrous mirror finish on all the steel parts of this blade. The handles themselves have a highly shiny surface sheen and are in like new condition. These old Geneva's make great daily shavers and this one comes guaranteed shave ready."

I post an update after the first go.

Did you get that from Altima55? It sounds like his regular blurb. I have two Genevas (one from the aforementioned seller) and they are very nice razors.

Good luck! When I use a straight I spend a few minutes before hand picturing in my mind a close shave with no nicks or irritation. It never works, but somebody suggested that once.

Mastering the straight is on my bucket list.

Break a leg!

The suspense is great, isn't it? Visualizing is good. Visualize yourself lightly removing the lather from your face without actually touching skin. Then do it.

The first place you can screw up is stropping. Keep the strop taut. Keep the touch light. Keep the spine in contact with the strop at all times while stropping. Never let the edge touch the strop (I know, I know, it's just a concept).

I don't know the seller, but "shave-ready" can be a very relative term. Chances are, you will need to strop that rascal about 50 laps before it works well.

This is a bit long, because I like to respond to everyone, so here it goes.

I purchased the Geneva Blade from Bob Keyes over at bobsrazors.com. I was given a couple different websites to check out when I was starting to get anxious about purchasing a razor. Bob answered all my questions very thoroughly(I had quite a few I might add) and recommended this Geneva for my first blade, so I went for it because I was getting stuck in an endless loop of lurking on ebay, BaB, c-list, gentleman's corner, whippeddogged straights so on and so forth. I'm hoping this straight provides a great starting point for me, but I do plan on buying more blades as I become more proficient and I start to understand what I like about all these different blades.:thumbup:

As far as blade goes, it appears to be very very sharp in almost perfect condition. I'm not sure how sharp or how much stropping it will need, I'll figure it out on the 1st shave I guess:biggrin1:

I'm not sure what size, grind, and shape I'm really looking for at this point. I really like the look of a lot of different blades, but will admit that I have a firm attraction to the Japanese style non folding straights. I think I will try to do some more reading and pick one up for my next purchase.

Yes, I have a lot of anticipation for this 1st shave with the straight. I've spent some time over last week visualizing the process and watching quite a few videos, hopefully it all helps out. I'm a bit concerned about shaving my chin and my upper lip. They seem like difficult angles to get with a straight, so wish me luck!

I still have to wait to shave, aaarrrgh, because I'm waiting on a few other items to show up and I'm waiting on a strop to be made by a friend of mine. Once I have all the necessary items in possession I'll reserve a good hour in the evening, get some last minute studying done on techniques, then it will be go time. I'll post an aftermath update.

I see someone caught the Cypress Hill too, good eye.

The important question is whether or not your double barrelled scuttle is getting you shaved :001_cool:

I have just started out too. Have fun. i am really enjoying learning to shave with the straight.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
..just got an ounce in mail...

Whew! At first I did not know what to expect when I read the post title. Nice set up, I know nothing about straights but it looks good.

Scott

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Nice razor, and a decent beginner's blade. A round point might be better for your first razor but what you got is good. Just watch that square point cause it will getcha until you learn how to use it to advantage.

Angle, pressure, lubrication, and skin stretching. Master those details and you will get decent shaves with few cuts. You probably WILL cut yourself your first shave. Learn from each drop of blood. Think about what you did or didn't do to allow that cut to happen.

Consider making a practice strop out of folded newspaper doubled over a towel rod. Work on the technique... light pressure and always at the end of the stroke turn the EDGE out away from the strop but keep the spine to the strop as you switch directions. Keep your strop stretched taut so that it does not sag and round over your edge. Keep the pressure light!

Top Bottom