What's new

The One

For me, it's the Mappin Lancet someone already mentioned. Been trying to get one for a couple years, but can't seem to bid high enough on those rare occasions when one finally shows up.

I don't think that there is an equivalent. The Dubl Duck Grim Reaper is the closest I've seen.

I agree. Yes there are some others that go quite high and some odd ones like the Mapping (a beauty BTW). But as far as vintage straights go that are actually accessible in numbers yet fetch quite high $$, I'd say the DD Lifetime Reaper.

For me, it's the Mappin Lancet someone already mentioned. Been trying to get one for a couple years, but can't seem to bid high enough on those rare occasions when one finally shows up.

I managed to snap up one of these last week at an unbelievably good price, with ivory scales. I can't wait until it arrives in the mail.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thank you for helping me in my time of madness :thumbup:

Ultimately she was too big and didnt get much use and I fell in love with a tough little french lady :biggrin1:

memories

proxy.php

I managed to snap up one of these last week at an unbelievably good price, with ivory scales. I can't wait until it arrives in the mail.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
Very unusual. What's the back story? Intended for personal use?

My idea of "The One" changes from time to time, but I'd prefer to find it in an antique store rather than buying it from someone or having a custom one made. A lot of the razors I find out there are around 4/8 so I've been dreaming of finding a giant chopper that I can clean up and use. Something 8/8 or bigger with a wicked smile.
Yep, you and me got the same dream. 8/8 or 9/8 with a smile is my "One". I did alot of antique store hunting last summer and got close but didn't find it. It's out there, somewhere...

...Ray

Very unusual. What's the back story? Intended for personal use?

...Ray

Yes, it's definitely a keeper and will be used. Joseph Mappin made straights from 1810 until 1851 when it changed to Mappin Brothers when his son's took over the company. Very high end razors at the time.

My most desired Western styled straight razor, which I don't have, would be an Iwasaki in tamahagane.
My most desired razor I do own is an Iwasaki kamisori in plain old Swedish steel :001_smile

Top Bottom