What's new

Marshalls

I can't recall if I made a post about this before but can anyone explain to me how Marshalls is able to carry the exact same brands as dept stores like Macy's, yet, sell their stuff at a significant discount? I went to Macy's tonight to look for a light blue dress shirt and navy tie and while I was there trying to match colors I found myself being indecisive, mainly because I didn't feel like spending $50+ on a shirt and tie. yes, I was being cheap. I had looked at a DKNY slim fit shirt and DKNY navy tie. the shirt with the discount would've cost me about $35 and the tie about $25. I finally gave up and wandered down to Marshalls to see if I could try my luck with their selection of stuff. lo and behold, once I get to the men's section I come across the exact same tie for $12.99 and the exact same shirt for $25 which I immediately bought. so, what gives? there weren't any noticeable defects on the shirt and tie and I doubt Marshalls is selling defective merch....so why do they sometimes carry the exact same thing as Macy's but at a major discount? I doubt the quality could be any cheaper....most of this stuff is made somewhere in Indonesia, Pakistan or India, so I'm not concerned about that. I'm confused

a lot of people like to say i bought it at Macy's and that the only reason why pay more when you dont need to your a smart shopper :thumbup1:

Marshalls, TJ Maxx, etc., carry overstock and out of season apparel. Therefore, they can offer it at discount.

It takes a patient shopper -- and I'm not always patient -- but man, you can find some great stuff at Marshalls and TJ Maxx.

My wife recently came home with a shirt for me, some boutique Japanese brand that is really beautifully put together, with a list price of $238.00!!!! She got it for $30.

There are some amazing deals at Marshalls and TJ Maxx. I've had specific luck with dress clothes over the years (suits, ties, shirts). I've also seen Allen Edmonds there on occasion at a nice discount.

i've bought a garment or two there that were labelled as irregular. you have to watch though, because some irregular shirts are quite irregular. :001_rolle

Adding to the other things, they keep the store extremely basic on the inside.
Racks and racks of clothing with no fancy set ups.

Staffing wise is also very simple and good luck finding a staff at TJ maxx other then the check out person. However sometimes the bargains are immense. Tuesday morning is a good place for household goods that does similar things.

I have never been the sort that must have the latest current fashion, or get clothes that are "in season." Because of that I always take advantage of whatever sales there are. If there is any industry that constantly has an overstock of "dated" items, it's the clothing industry.

I am always out of season so Marshall's is fine with me.
I'd say that most men's clothing never goes out of style, or at the very least takes decades.

On a different note, there used to be a discount chain in Ohio called Value City. They had a lot of junk, but also some real finds. I got Donna Karen (not DKNY) and some handmade Italian shoes for almost nothing. Their suit department was par none. Unfortunatly they sold out to Burlington Coat Factory.

I'd say that most men's clothing never goes out of style, or at the very least takes decades.

On a different note, there used to be a discount chain in Ohio called Value City. They had a lot of junk, but also some real finds. I got Donna Karen (not DKNY) and some handmade Italian shoes for almost nothing. Their suit department was par none. Unfortunatly they sold out to Burlington Coat Factory.

I used to LOVE going to Value City. I actually purchased what is now my favorite flannel shirt there. It's made by Marino Bay, and I can't seem to find that brand anywhere else. I've seen a three pack of Marino Bay shirts advertised in the Sportsman's Guide catalog, but that's it.

You mean like with an extra sleeve sewn on? :blink:

I bought a "second" (not from Marshall's) that was worse than I thought. There was (supposed to be) a zippered breast pocket. All the material was there but the zipper was stitched on about a quarter inch too high in a way that, when unzipped, did not open to the pocket, but just to what would have been the front of the shirt if the zipper wasn't there. The zipper's stitching closed off the pocket completely. It was all too messy to somehow fix.

I never tried to unzip the pocket until long after I bought the shirt or I would have returned/exchanged it.

I bought a "second" (not from Marshall's) that was worse than I thought. There was (supposed to be) a zippered breast pocket. All the material was there but the zipper was stitched on about a quarter inch too high in a way that, when unzipped, did not open to the pocket, but just to what would have been the front of the shirt if the zipper wasn't there. The zipper's stitching closed off the pocket completely. It was all too messy to somehow fix.

I never tried to unzip the pocket until long after I bought the shirt or I would have returned/exchanged it.

Inspected by Inspector FAIL

Besides clothing, Marshalls/T J Maxx usually have some outstanding deals on fragrances (colognes, EDTs, perfumes). They frequently have big name brands (not knock-offs) at ridiculously low prices.

The only issue in dealing with these closeout discounters is availability. You can't go in there looking for a specific item, but rather have to check the stores frequently and grab the good stuff before someone else gets it!

Top Bottom