What's new

Stropping and Honing Question

Am I correct that if a strop is wide enough to fit the whole blade, that a regular up and down motion can be used? Am I also correct that if a hone is wide enough to fit the whole blade, that the X pattern should be used? If both of those are true, why is it that I can go up and down on a wide strop, but not on a wide hone?

Thanks!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
If your strop is wide enough, I wouldn't do the X pattern... However, preference, not a rule. You can do the X pattern or no.

To my understanding, the x-pattern on a hone helps keep the edge of the blade smooth. No matter what, if you zoom in enough your edge will look like a hack saw. The x-pattern will help it so that the teeth will be at an angle rather than just straight up and down - decreasing the amount of teeth digging in on your face.

Stropping just aligns and polishes the blade and does not remove metal.

To my understanding, the x-pattern on a hone helps keep the edge of the blade smooth. No matter what, if you zoom in enough your edge will look like a hack saw. The x-pattern will help it so that the teeth will be at an angle rather than just straight up and down - decreasing the amount of teeth digging in on your face.

Stropping just aligns and polishes the blade and does not remove metal.

Ha! That's very interesting! I've never heard about that before, but it totally makes sense. It's like combing hair. Thanks!

Top Bottom