What's new

Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger

The important thing to remember is that I have all the softy soft softest Heritage brushes and they will never again be ever so awesome as the awesomeness of the old stuff.

So there. :smartass:

I have a question about gel tip hair. I've read through this thread and couldn't get a clear answer about what type of hair has gel tips. Is it only finest or can blonde or super have gel tips as well? I'm curious because I think my L7 is a gel tip, but it's labeled as blonde hair.

Can you post a picture of the hair damp but lightly shaken out? (Edit, I didn't scroll all of the way to the end of the thread, sorry. When I read the post this afternoon and intended to respond with these pictures nothing had been posted yet.)

It should look like this when wet:

proxy.php

The tips should get visibly whiter and mushy looking. They should stick together in something like a honeycomb pattern. New heritage hair just sticks together in small "silos" or "peaks".

For comparison's sake, here are two other examples of heritage hair post gel tip. The 3XL is Lee's heritage 2-band as of March 2014. The Emillion was 2012 heritage hair.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
This brush is from February 2014. First picture is how it dries and second is after running my fingers over it.

I also have no point of comparison to the older Rooney brushes but mine has all the characteristics that many have repeated over the years.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1402135813515.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1402135813515.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 247
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1402135840905.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1402135840905.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
The important thing to remember is that I have all the softy soft softest Heritage brushes and they will never again be ever so awesome as the awesomeness of the old stuff.

So there. :smartass:

You are, of course, referring to the now legendary, old Rooney Heritage 3-band hair. Right?

You are, of course, referring to the now legendary, old Rooney Heritage 3-band hair. Right?

:yesnod:

I've thankfully stopped chasing my tail when it comes to brushes. I've sold the harsher hair, and I've got enough soft-tipped brushes, including a great 2-band Simpson CH3, to last me a life time. Though I still think of a Stubby 2 in jade or tortoise from time to time :001_wub:

We need more pics!

I've thankfully stopped chasing my tail when it comes to brushes. I've sold the harsher hair, and I've got enough soft-tipped brushes, including a great 2-band Simpson CH3, to last me a life time. Though I still think of a Stubby 2 in jade or tortoise from time to time :001_wub:

We need more pics!

I also hope I am done chasing brushes. My collection is made up of super soft 3 band and 2 band and various handle shapes and materials.

My Old Rooney & M&F brushes make up more then 1/2 my collection and I'd be happy using only these. For the most part, they make up 90% of use and not sure how I could improve on them. :thumbup1:

More pics Vlad? Here you go :

The Old Rooney Super's
$IMG_20140607_092536.jpg

The M&F's
$IMG_20140607_092524.jpg

Head shot
$IMG_20140607_092709.jpg

Last edited:
I also hope I am done chasing brushes. My collection is made up of super soft 3 band and 2 band and various handle shapes and materials.

My Old Rooney & M&F brushes make up more then 1/2 my collection and I'd be happy using only these. For the most part, they make up 90% of use and not sure how I could improve on them. :thumbup1:

More pics Vlad? Here you go :

The Old Rooney Super's
View attachment 458049

The one on the left looks like one of the super-stuffed unobtainable brushes once available through classic shaving. :thumbup1:

The one on the left looks like one of the super-stuffed unobtainable brushes once available through classic shaving. :thumbup1:

All three of them are, or so I believe :w00t: I purchased the PL direct and the CS was purchased by someone else and then I traded for it.

The CS and PL are both the faux ivory or bone handles with the gentle swirling in them. They don't show up in pics, but visible in person. I am quite confident the ST2 is also from those old brushes they offered up, at least from what I recall when buying from its previous owner.

CS2 (Chubby Stubby 2)
ST2 (Stubby 2, but not like the modern stubby brush)
PL1 (Urn or Polo, size 1, 24mm)

Absolutely incredible 3 band brushes. Ultra stuffed, ultra soft and not going anywhere......

Last edited:
Maybe I missed something, but lately there is no real horn brushes shown here, is it just that "they're out of fashion", or Mr Lee doesn't make them anymore? Hmm...
Btw, just sent him an email for a 20mm brush, preferably in real horn, will see what he says!

I think it's just that horn requires a little more meticulous care than fake horn, and they look more or less the same. That's not to say there is no value to a nice natural horn brush, but I think there are many people who would just rather have something that looks very much like horn, but is low-maintenance like acrylic.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I think it's just that horn requires a little more meticulous care than fake horn, and they look more or less the same. That's not to say there is no value to a nice natural horn brush, but I think there are many people who would just rather have something that looks very much like horn, but is low-maintenance like acrylic.

I suspect another factor is dealing with warrany/return issues.

As Chamm said...horn likely requires more work to turn, more work to maintain, can have flaws that acrylic won't, is probably way more expensive and difficult to obtain. Plus as Ken said (while I was posting) the risk of warranty/return may play into the equation.

The whole harvesting of the horn aspect too and it could be like real Ivory where it is frowned upon. Kind of ironic considering it is being stuffed with Badger but I'm not familiar with how horn is obtained.

I actually had a Real Horn Sabini brush (non branded) from the BST that turned out to be a shedder and was returned (for shedding and other reasons)...but the handle had tooling marks, voids that appeared to have been filled with acrylic, unusual markings and not nearly as nice as an acrylic brush. I have no desire to own another real Horn brush after that one.

The Semogue Horn brushes I see appear flawless in terms of tool marks but they also I just look like a black brush with no color or design to them and think you have to oil them periodicly to maintain them.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've not ever had much desire to own a natural horn brush. Acrylic "Horn" looks 99% as good, (some may say better) and has zero maintenance. Natural horn requires balms and oils to keep it from drying and cracking. You need to be careful about it being wet too long. Like Bruce said, there are natural voids in the horn.

As far as harvesting, like ivory, I don't think there is much issue. I think "horn" generally refers to buffalo horn, cow horn or deer horn, and I think that stuff is all ethnically sourced from renewable resources. There isn't much demand for horn, so I think the stuff that's used is mostly from dead and discarded animals.

Still, though, it seems like it's just an unnecessary hassle to me. All but one of my brushes are acrylic, and I don't see myself ever going out of my way to get horn, unless it's certified unicorn horn, which doesn't require any maintenance, and actually makes you younger as you use it. :lol:

A few months back, one of the brothers here on the forums contemplated offering a couple brushes made from narwhal horn. I might be a little tempted by that, just because it would be an awesome story. :)

Last edited:
That's indeed a valid point...!
But for me these real horn brushes look so nice, the acrylic horn doesn't even come close in the looks department...But there are so many other colors to choose from when using acrylic so...

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Lee made this brush so it's relevant. "But with beauties like this why get the real thing," point illustrated.

proxy.php

I've posted this pic before but here is my horn M&F

proxy.php

It does need a bit more maintenance. I coat in pure neatsfoot oil a few times a year.

The workmanship is easily on par with Semogue, if not better. Compared to my Semogue horn, it doesn't feel as dense but it's a beautiful brush that Lee has made amazingly well. He even let me pick my handle as the patterns can vary.

My first M&F and the one that started it all! If you can get one, then do.

Top Bottom